Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let's Track Our Miles!

23 minutes ago, kristieshannon said:

We have a lake in Seattle that has a 3 mile loop walking path around it. It’s a great place to exercise and people watch! I think I’ll do it again today.

WTG! So you do the loop once then have 2+ more miles of movement the rest of the day? Or are you going 1.5 times around the track? Sounds beautiful!

Yes, just one loop around and the rest from regular daily activity-although I’ve started being conscious of parking farther away from the entrance of the grocery store etc. to get in more steps. I’m planning to up it to twice around the lake in the next month or so. I’m pretty please though that just 12 days out from surgery that I can do it once fairly easily!

1 minute ago, kristieshannon said:

Yes, just one loop around and the rest from regular daily activity-although I’ve started being conscious of parking farther away from the entrance of the grocery store etc. to get in more steps. I’m planning to up it to twice around the lake in the next month or so. I’m pretty please though that just 12 days out from surgery that I can do it once fairly easily!

Dang! Girl! Congrats!! So look, just pace yourself right? It's the long haul marathon that counts and not how you "start". It's just me, but this amount of activity on only 12 days post surgery and the tiny amounts you are eating are not a sustainable mix for you...be gentle!

I should have added that I was able to walk this loop pre-op, so I actually haven’t increased my activity too much since surgery. I was just surprised I was able to do it again this soon. Even during these last two years at my heaviest weight I’ve been able to maintain a fairly decent activity level (short hikes, whitewater rafting trips, I even walked a 1/2 marathon 2 years ago). I want to get back up to that 1/2 marathon level of fitness again over the next 13 months so I can do it again next September. I know I need to take it slow, I figure I’ve given myself plenty of time to build up to it.

14 minutes ago, kristieshannon said:

I should have added that I was able to walk this loop pre-op, so I actually haven’t increased my activity too much since surgery. I was just surprised I was able to do it again this soon. Even during these last two years at my heaviest weight I’ve been able to maintain a fairly decent activity level (short hikes, whitewater rafting trips, I even walked a 1/2 marathon 2 years ago). I want to get back up to that 1/2 marathon level of fitness again over the next 13 months so I can do it again next September. I know I need to take it slow, I figure I’ve given myself plenty of time to build up to it.

Ok, but you are recovering from a very serious surgery and are not taking care of nutrient needs right now. So at some point, you are gonna go to war with your body and you don't want to do that hon. The walking and build up will be there. But dial it back while you recover. Walk. Sure. Every day. Every hour! I literally started by walking 5 minutes every hour or two after surgery. Even though I was walking before surgery and had built up to 30 minute walks. But until your doc clears you for full on marathon level endurance activity, I'd dial back a bit.

You don't have to take my advice. I'm just a shmo on the internet without formal training. :) ((hugs)) And you can still play here even if you do only walk 5 minutes per hour (I think you can do better than that of course...but why not ask your doc? He may give you the green light.)

I hear you, and I agree-I did message my surgeon’s office this week and got the ok to “walk as much as tolerated”. However, I’m still on my original 10lb weight lifting limit for another month. Which is OK with me because it means hubby gets to do the big chores around the house 😂

2 minutes ago, kristieshannon said:

I hear you, and I agree-I did message my surgeon’s office this week and got the ok to “walk as much as tolerated”. However, I’m still on my original 10lb weight lifting limit for another month. Which is OK with me because it means hubby gets to do the big chores around the house 😂

But does he know how far different his version "as much as tolerated" is away from "YOUR" version? Cuz that is soooo atypical of peeps immediately post surgical and also peeps at your present weight in this time of year with the heat as it is...

Yup, I specifically asked if it is OK to do the Green Lake loop walk. I'm a super compliant patient! Being a nurse I know how important it is to follow the Dr.'s instructions, I have certainly seen complications when people don't! Luckily our summers here in Seattle are pretty mild, yesterday topped out at 70 degrees.

Edited by kristieshannon

Cool!! Congrats!

Ok, but you are recovering from a very serious surgery and are not taking care of nutrient needs right now. So at some point, you are gonna go to war with your body and you don't want to do that hon. The walking and build up will be there. But dial it back while you recover. Walk. Sure. Every day. Every hour! I literally started by walking 5 minutes every hour or two after surgery. Even though I was walking before surgery and had built up to 30 minute walks. But until your doc clears you for full on marathon level endurance activity, I'd dial back a bit.
You don't have to take my advice. I'm just a shmo on the internet without formal training. ((hugs)) And you can still play here even if you do only walk 5 minutes per hour (I think you can do better than that of course...but why not ask your doc? He may give you the green light.)
Thanks so much FluffyChix for your concern, very appreciated! I was also pretty active prior to surgery...but I just make myself get 10K steps daily walking regular pace in my living room and neighborhood. 10K is about 5miles. Definitely not trying to do more than that for now on approximately 500 cals per day.
With the Fitbit challenge with friends, I averaged 25K per day prior to surgery.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I did 42,000 steps according to my fitbit last week but I don't wear it continuously. Also, did a few miles on a stationary bicycle but didn't keep track of how much. Now that I found this thread I'll keep better track this week.

It was a rest day for me today, so just 2.1 miles.