Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

Hey! Looking for a Sleeve Sister or even brother to talk back and forth with!

Here's a short story about me-

I was banded in 2005 when I was 15 in Tijuana by Dr. Ortiz. Over 13 years, I lost about 70 lbs but by 2018 I had gained it all back. I found Dr. Udelhofen in Cincinnati, Ohio (working under Trace Curry) and he determined my band was slipped. I had no idea, but I believe it. So he removed my band in July of 2018 and initially I wanted to get the sleeve done the same day but decided against it. I didn't want to quit smoking and quit drinking. March/April 2019 I decided I wanted to go forth with it. I stopped smoking and decided to put my alcohol consumption on hold and here I am - 2 days post-sleeve!

So far- I'm really not in pain. I feel nauseous more than I feel pain. Last night was terrible - I was in the shower taking off my dressings and got 2 of the 5 off when I felt really sick and dizzy. Thankfully, I'm staying with my parents currently since I'm single and I was able to get my Mom to help me out. But today I feel great. The only time I get any pain is when I'm sitting up out of the chair or getting out of bed.

Speaking of bed, anyone else not able to sleep through the night? I typically am a side sleeper but I can only sleep on my back right now. So I'm up practically all night until I go to the chair to sleep. How long will this last for?!

Anyone get hunger pains? I typically take a muscle spasm pill when my hunger pains start. Drinking 2 oz of Powerade zero / Water / Protein water every 30 mins.

Oh, since I'm new - How do I get one of those little goal tracker things you guys have at the bottom of your posts?~?~?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello! I was sleeved by Dr. Curry on 30 May!

The first night was alright but, like you, I had to sleep in a power recliner. Tried to lay down in a bed and it was very uncomfortable, no matter what position! The recliner was pretty comfy, but I found that having a pillow on my stomach helped when I would have to stand up. I was very sleepy, so I was kind of drifting in and out all day/night. I didn't have any hunger pangs-- just spasming whenever I would drink something but the spasms eased for me by the time I went to my 1 week follow-up.

The nausea stuck with me for a few days and I figured it was because everything's rather newish ^_~ I'm glad to read that you're keeping up with you water! Are you moving about as well? Even if it's just around the house at first, please remember to move; it helps with so much!

Congratulations and Enjoy the Journey! 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
And it is known when you're showering soon after major surgery. your blood pressure lowers down, you feel like everything is spinning , I still have it sometimes even at 9 months. Have to revert to my shower chair and just sit down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hey! Looking for a Sleeve Sister or even brother to talk back and forth with!
Here's a short story about me-
I was banded in 2005 when I was 15 in Tijuana by Dr. Ortiz. Over 13 years, I lost about 70 lbs but by 2018 I had gained it all back. I found Dr. Udelhofen in Cincinnati, Ohio (working under Trace Curry) and he determined my band was slipped. I had no idea, but I believe it. So he removed my band in July of 2018 and initially I wanted to get the sleeve done the same day but decided against it. I didn't want to quit smoking and quit drinking. March/April 2019 I decided I wanted to go forth with it. I stopped smoking and decided to put my alcohol consumption on hold and here I am - 2 days post-sleeve!
So far- I'm really not in pain. I feel nauseous more than I feel pain. Last night was terrible - I was in the shower taking off my dressings and got 2 of the 5 off when I felt really sick and dizzy. Thankfully, I'm staying with my parents currently since I'm single and I was able to get my Mom to help me out. But today I feel great. The only time I get any pain is when I'm sitting up out of the chair or getting out of bed.
Speaking of bed, anyone else not able to sleep through the night? I typically am a side sleeper but I can only sleep on my back right now. So I'm up practically all night until I go to the chair to sleep. How long will this last for?!
Anyone get hunger pains? I typically take a muscle spasm pill when my hunger pains start. Drinking 2 oz of Powerade zero / Water / Protein Water every 30 mins.

Oh, since I'm new - How do I get one of those little goal tracker things you guys have at the bottom of your posts?~?~?
Hi Brittany, I would love to be your sleeve sister. I just had the sleeve last Wednesday, June 12th 2019 in Mexico. I live in Los Angeles and am so excited about the journey ahead of me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Ninabnina77 said:

Hi Brittany, I would love to be your sleeve sister. I just had the sleeve last Wednesday, June 12th 2019 in Mexico. I live in Los Angeles and am so excited about the journey ahead of me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi!!! How are you doing one week out?!?! Who did yours??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cuppa said:

Hello! I was sleeved by Dr. Curry on 30 May!

The first night was alright but, like you, I had to sleep in a power recliner. Tried to lay down in a bed and it was very uncomfortable, no matter what position! The recliner was pretty comfy, but I found that having a pillow on my stomach helped when I would have to stand up. I was very sleepy, so I was kind of drifting in and out all day/night. I didn't have any hunger pangs-- just spasming whenever I would drink something but the spasms eased for me by the time I went to my 1 week follow-up.

The nausea stuck with me for a few days and I figured it was because everything's rather newish ^_~ I'm glad to read that you're keeping up with you water! Are you moving about as well? Even if it's just around the house at first, please remember to move; it helps with so much!

Congratulations and Enjoy the Journey! 😊

Good idea with the pillow on your stomach! The spasms / hunger pangs haven't been as bad today as they were yesterday so that is a plus for me. I'm moving every half hour or so. Unless I'm napping. My goal is to walk outside by the weekend because so far I have only been in the house. How has your entire experience been so far? What are you eating for your puree?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hi!!! How are you doing one week out?!?! Who did yours??
Hi Brittany, I am doing good, a lot better than expected. My sleeve was done by Dr. Ariel Ortiz in Tijuana, he did a fantastic job. How are you and recovering going for you? Where did you get yours done and where do you live?

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

!!!!!!! Dr. Ortiz did my band in 2005!!!!!!!!! They were amazing down there!!!! And I was able to go to San Diego multiple times a year on "vacations" as my friends thought. LOL.

So I was sleeved on Monday June 17. I'm doing good! It's a pain to get in and out of a chair, bending over I try not to do, I'm constantly tired, I have hunger pangs daily (relieved by muscle spasm pill), but other than THAT - I'm doing great! Mine was done in Cincinnatti, Ohio by Dr. Steven Udelhofen. I think the worst part right now is I'm doing so good with liquids I (WANT) to try like some applesauce but I know I can't do that yet. Biggest problem I'm facing, though, is working in 64 ounces of Fluid a day. I set an alarm for every 20 mins and it is still a struggle. I don't want to over do it and drink too much so I only drink 2 oz per 20 mins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm, my experience has been totally different. I barely have had any pain, and drinking liquids has been just fine for me. I am starting to worry maybe my sleeve is not small enough or tight enough. I only had a some pain the first 2 days, by the 3rd day I was at the circus with my family in Mexico. Well I did have a lot of inflammation at the area where the fundus is in the stomach, so they gave me a steroid shot twice, once on the 2nd day post op and another one on the 4 th post OP day, maybe that's what speed up my recovery. As far as drinking enough liquids, I recommend keeping Vitamin Water zero or Powerade zero next to you at all times and just taking a few sips every 5 to 10 min. This method helped me a lot to get 64 fl oz in a day. I really wanted to do my surgery back here in LA, but health insurance would not cover my surgery because I was not fat enough for them yet. Anyway I am so happy I found you, since we almost got out surgeries around the same time, we can compare our progress together. [emoji173] I hope and pray this works for both of us. [emoji120]

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, brittanyatwalsh said:

Good idea with the pillow on your stomach! The spasms / hunger pangs haven't been as bad today as they were yesterday so that is a plus for me. I'm moving every half hour or so. Unless I'm napping. My goal is to walk outside by the weekend because so far I have only been in the house. How has your entire experience been so far? What are you eating for your puree?

For puree, I've depended on several things. Soups are an option and the nutritionist told me Cincinnati-style chili is also acceptable, if you're a fan ^_^ One thing I did was take tinned chicken (broth and all), pureed it with a hand blender. I portioned out about a half cup then added a tablespoon of instant potatoes and a tablespoon of chicken gravy. Chucked it in the microwave and slowly ate. Reminded me of Thanksgiving LOL I do opt for a few tinned veg, just for some fibre (and you really don't need to puree them, as they're already pretty mushy)-- carrots, peas and green Beans, mostly. I've read that several people have had refried beans with success but I haven't tried that yet.

For Breakfast, it's almost always a Protein shake; with the occasional serving of porridge made with a vanilla Protein Shake instead of milk :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ninabnina77 said:

Hmmm, my experience has been totally different. I barely have had any pain, and drinking liquids has been just fine for me. I am starting to worry maybe my sleeve is not small enough or tight enough. I only had a some pain the first 2 days, by the 3rd day I was at the circus with my family in Mexico. Well I did have a lot of inflammation at the area where the fundus is in the stomach, so they gave me a steroid shot twice, once on the 2nd day post op and another one on the 4 th post OP day, maybe that's what speed up my recovery. As far as drinking enough liquids, I recommend keeping Vitamin Water zero or Powerade zero next to you at all times and just taking a few sips every 5 to 10 min. This method helped me a lot to get 64 fl oz in a day. I really wanted to do my surgery back here in LA, but health insurance would not cover my surgery because I was not fat enough for them yet. Anyway I am so happy I found you, since we almost got out surgeries around the same time, we can compare our progress together. I hope and pray this works for both of us.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Good idea!!!!!! Sounds like you're doing exceptional!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2019 at 11:16 PM, Ninabnina77 said:

Hi Brittany, I am doing good, a lot better than expected. My sleeve was done by Dr. Ariel Ortiz in Tijuana, he did a fantastic job. How are you and recovering going for you? Where did you get yours done and where do you live?

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had mine done by Dr. Ariel Ortiz on June 10th! Maybe we saw each other at the Marriott!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2019 at 4:52 PM, Ninabnina77 said:

Thanks, I truly hope my sleeve has been made small and tight enough.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I am experiencing the same thing as you. I'm doing great. liquids go down perfect. I don't really get a full feeling. I'm hoping when I eat real food I'll feel a restriction. I'm nervous. When I was doing the barium swallow, that doctor said that I had a long stomach. He said I would have good restriction but now I'm worried I'll be able to eat more because my stomach is "long."

Hopefully it'll be ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I am experiencing the same thing as you. I'm doing great. liquids go down perfect. I don't really get a full feeling. I'm hoping when I eat real food I'll feel a restriction. I'm nervous. When I was doing the barium swallow, that doctor said that I had a long stomach. He said I would have good restriction but now I'm worried I'll be able to eat more because my stomach is "long."
Hopefully it'll be ok.
Hi SLSH, thanks for sharing. When did you have the surgery? How is your over all healing process coming along? Where do you live and who did your surgery? I am very worried my sleeve is not tight and small enough enough. My over all recovery has been so easy. I am not allowed to exercise till day 22 post op, I felt so good that on day 11 post op I went on the treadmill for 20 min, walked and the next day I did 25 min on the treadmill. I felt just fine and still do. Is my speedy recovery normal? I start eating pureed food on day 17, June 29th 2019. I hope I can tell than if my stomach was made small and tight enough. I am so worried. I wonder if anyone knows exactly how many oz or mls a gastric sleeved stomach is supposed hold for each meal once fully healed?

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • demayome

      Day 3 of Liver shrinking diet. 11 days to go. Come on 31JUL. Trying not to get impatient
      · 1 reply
      1. GreenTealael

        💜STAY STRONG💜

    • Krestel

      OMG! I dreamt of cake!!
      As of late, my dreams have been food obsessed. Last night I dreamed of gorging on good old American sheet cake with chocolate frosting. There was white frosting as well. Good thing we can't get that in Sweden! I just hope that I haven't become too engrossed in food. BUT they are only dreams after all.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • GreenTealael

      3 days post op and I want to go to the movies to see The Lion King... #slowdown
      · 13 replies
      1. Krestel

        Awww

      2. VANILLASUCKS

        I went 5 days post op to the movies :)

      3. GreenTealael

        Awww man i could have broken a record 😂

      4. elcee

        I’m going later today with my hubby and daughter

      5. GreenTealael

        I hope its amazing !

      6. View All Replies
    • allwet

      https://www.cell.com/cell-reports/fulltext/S2211-1247(19)30834-4
      this one is interesting but a tough slog to get thru
      this review is easier to understand
      https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2019/07/weight-loss-rage-proteins/594073/
      · 1 reply
      1. Orchids&Dragons

        It will be interesting to watch as this theory develops. Thanks for posting!

    • Jobber

      Feel like it's time for a status update, I haven't been on here regularly in a while and I need to keep my mindset focused on my goals.
      I haven't weighed myself in ~ 3 weeks.  I think I'm becoming the opposite of "obsessive" about tracking my progress and it could cause me some issues.  The good thing is that there have still been quite a number of NSV's happening that is telling me that I'm still progressing without knowing what the scale says.
      First one is that a belt I bought about 5 weeks ago because all my other belts were too big is also on the last hole so I'll have to buy yet another belt again.  second, I bought new jeans about a month ago and I have a lot more slack in the waist than I did when I purchased them.  I also boarded a plane and had about 8 inches of slack in the belt.  Finally, I hit my goal last week of being able to ride go-carts with my kids.  The last time I tried about 4 years ago, I had to leave because I couldn't fit in the harness.  This was sweet victory and I showed those two how it was done on the race course!!  😈
      · 1 reply
      1. FluffyChix

        Congrats!!!

  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×