Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Maintenance Thread

4 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

Despite my efforts to stop the losses, I dropped a little over 9 lbs in the last month.

May 27 - June 04
increased to 1000 cals/day (from 600). This made me feel pretty icky for about a week as I think I was forcing myself to eat beyond what I could, so I went back down to 800.

June 04 - Jun 11
decreased to 800/day (MFP says average 756/day)
net carbs to 25g, but I didn't do this really, I think my carb-phobia was too strong.

June 12 - Jun 18
increased to 900/day (MFP says average 845/day)
consistently got to at least 25g net carbs

June 19 to today
1000/day (MFP says average 891/day)
aiming to hit 35g net carbs, but am really hovering around 25 still.

Am going to try to get my 1000 (without force!) for another week. I had stopped taking my Protein Shake as I seemed to be hitting my Protein goals without it, but I think I'm going to add it back in on top of what I am already eating. That's another 110 cals...

I think you know this, but you are most likely going to have to go well over 1000 to stop losing. I know that seems daunting right now. I was in the same boat as you 6 months ago. I had very limited stomach capacity, and if I ate according the the bariatric rules my cals were too low, just as yours are. Although it's frustrating and a bit scary right now to keep losing, long term, having a higher BMR is a very good thing. As your capacity increases, it will be hard to stay at 1000 cals day after day. I started to have more capacity at about 10 months or so.

As a reference point, I'm averaging at least 2000 cals, and successfully maintaining. But as I've established, I am seemingly an outlier.

3 hours ago, ms.sss said:

1000/day (MFP says average 891/day)
aiming to hit 35g net carbs, but am really hovering around 25 still.

Mr. says that my activity level is likely too much for the amount of calories I am taking in if I want to maintain and not lose. I do not want to reduce my activity because I think that's just dumb (plus i like it!). So that means more calories. Ugh.

Am going to try to get my 1000 (without force!) for another week. I had stopped taking my Protein Shake as I seemed to be hitting my Protein goals without it, but I think I'm going to add it back in on top of what I am already eating. That's another 110 cals...

I think you know what you need to do.

I’m saying this out of concern. I’m not sure what it will take for you to get out of weight loss mode “rules” or get over your fears. We can tell you all day long to graze more calories, eat carbs and exercise less. It’s up to you to take a different approach. Ball is in your court.

Time to own it : You have a carb phobia, You recognize an issue with restrictive eating, You don’t want to reduce you activity, you intentionally exercise when you know you are struggling to get calories in. “because not doing it would be dumb”

Mr. is correct. I agree - Exercise less, increase your calories and carbs. reasons below.

MARY GARRETT·

Common causes for weight loss and muscle wasting

Dietary Issues

Weight loss that is a result of intentional undernourishment, such as anorexia, or extreme calorie reducing diets, causes the body's metabolic rate to slow down and conserve energy, in this case fat. Since muscle is metabolically active, meaning it requires energy to perform, breaking down muscle tissue for fuel helps to reduce the energy requirements and provide nourishment for the rest of the body. Simply put, the body may burn muscle for fuel while storing fat for emergency. This is called muscle catabolism. This is why proper nutrition and exercise plans should be implemented to prevent muscle loss as you lose weight, the 2008 text "Physiology of Sport and Exercise" notes.

1 hour ago, Healthy_life2 said:

I had an honest conversation with the Kid this evening. She told me how several people went up to her at a party we were at on the weekend and told her that I was now skinnier then she is (she is a 105lb 13-yr old) and that she should tell me to "stop losing weight" immediately. Indignation aside (I mean, what the eff are you talking to my daughter about?!?), I am not unaware that I am getting too thin for my liking. I asked her if she thought I was too thin, and she reluctantly said yes: that just last month I was looking "hot", but in the past couple weeks, I look like I lost 50 lbs all of a sudden or something. She and Mr. would be the last people on earth to comment on my looks in any sort of un-positive way (even when I was obese, gotta love em) so I'm taking this to heart more so than random party-goers.

Ok. Regroup and Refocus time.

Were these adults talking to your daughter or her peers? If those adults, so so inappropriate and sick!
But I admire your ability to gain insight from your loved ones.

I second Healthy_life's opinion about knowing what you need to do and grabbing the bull by the horns to address them. Another month of losing such as this month does not appear to be a good thing based on how you feel right now.

You have come a long way and your journey has been inspiring for me personally. Your avatar and your matter of fact attitude reminds me of my favorite 90s MTV animated series "Daria" (probably dating myself [emoji1]).

That journey has made you rightfully scared of going back but this is where you trust yourself and your commitment to staying healthy. Difficult at first but you have your surgical team/nutritionist to guide you just like you did for the weight loss journey. Time to let go of fear which is not the same thing as lack of being vigilant.

Good luck and I remain inspired[emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 06/25/2019 at 19:00, Healthy_life2 said:

I’m saying this out of concern. I’m not sure what it will take for you to get out of weight loss mode “rules” or get over your fears. We can tell you all day long to graze more calories, eat carbs and exercise less. It’s up to you to take a different approach. Ball is in your court.

Time to own it : You have a carb phobia, You recognize an issue with restrictive eating, You don’t want to reduce you activity, you intentionally exercise when you know you are struggling to get calories in. “because not doing it would be dumb”

Mr. is correct. I agree - Exercise less, increase your calories and carbs. reasons below.

MARY GARRETT·

Common causes for weight loss and muscle wasting

Dietary Issues

Weight loss that is a result of intentional undernourishment, such as anorexia, or extreme calorie reducing diets, causes the body's metabolic rate to slow down and conserve energy, in this case fat. Since muscle is metabolically active, meaning it requires energy to perform, breaking down muscle tissue for fuel helps to reduce the energy requirements and provide nourishment for the rest of the body. Simply put, the body may burn muscle for fuel while storing fat for emergency. This is called muscle catabolism. This is why proper nutrition and exercise plans should be implemented to prevent muscle loss as you lose weight, the 2008 text "Physiology of Sport and Exercise" notes.

This is perfect! Though I have struggled at finding that maintenance level of calories, I think I’ve finally got it. You have to stick with it and gradually you will find a calorie range that works. Mine seems to be around 1500 cal right now though I’m sure that will go a good bit higher in the future.
Getting past the fear that you are going to suddenly slip back into all your bad habits that made you overweight in the beginning is key! You will not suddenly become obese for eating more carbs and calories.

10 hours ago, ms.sss said:

I had an honest conversation with the Kid this evening. She told me how several people went up to her at a party we were at on the weekend and told her that I was now skinnier then she is (she is a 105lb 13-yr old) and that she should tell me to "stop losing weight" immediately. Indignation aside (I mean, what the eff are you talking to my daughter about?!?), I am not unaware that I am getting too thin for my liking. I asked her if she thought I was too thin, and she reluctantly said yes: that just last month I was looking "hot", but in the past couple weeks, I look like I lost 50 lbs all of a sudden or something. She and Mr. would be the last people on earth to comment on my looks in any sort of un-positive way (even when I was obese, gotta love em) so I'm taking this to heart more so than random party-goers.

I'm just gonna say you are in a scary time for us. It's hard learning maintenance behaviors and getting out of the weight loss mode. ((hugs)) You are doing very well in analytically approaching this and taking a data driven approach to it! You'll find your norm. I know you will!

And while it is quite possible that you are indeed too thin, remember family and friends (and even ourselves) view our selves through a former MO filter. So their "too skinny" might be in reference to your formerly MO body. Right? Cuz seriously just looking at the chart (which isn't perfect, unless you're typically average like me), at 5'2" you have a ways of wiggle room before you're even at the low end of your normal weight range. Right? Cuz you are 5'2" and 119lbs. which is right smack in the middle of normal and smokin' hot bod. :)

heightweightchartwomen.JPG.9fe273ad59c90287ea16a8978ec8c15b.JPG

I currently weight 172 and my personal goal is 168 (the lowest I have ever been in my adult life is 169). I work out 5 times a week for an hour to an hour and a half, and burn on average about 400 calories per workout. I currently eat 1500-1700 calories per day, and since getting back to my workout routine, I have lost 2 pounds a week for the last two weeks.

I just started working out as I should again about 2 weeks ago. For the past 3 months or so before this, I was doing just cardio one or two times a week. I was not tracking on MFP, but I was mentally keeping track and I think I was averaging roughly 1700-1800 calories per day. I did not gain any weight but I did not lose either, so I think this will be where I need to land for maintenance. I think I am going to try and push myself to 165 and then move back into maintenance, so probably within 2 months or so.

What I did learn in those three months is that the scale will jump up an down regularly while in maintenance. It really depended on what I ate in any given day, as well as where I was in my cycle. When I ate 1800 calories of junk, I saw almost an immediate jump due to bloating, etc. When I ate 1800 in Protein, veggies, etc, my weight dropped back down just as easily. Maintenance mode is tricky because you have to really pay attention to how you feel and how your clothes fit, and not the number on the scale. If the number is your only concern, you will drive yourself crazy. Seriously, it can become a problem.

14 hours ago, ms.sss said:

Body Image and comments. Wow, they were out of line to talk to your daughter.

Many people don’t realize comments “your too thin “you look sickly” “stop losing weight” “do you have cancer” are messing with your head/body image. People that have never been morbidly obese or experienced rapid weight loss don’t understand how hard it is to see ourselves correctly. I’m sorry their comments are making you question your appearance. It takes time for your mind to catch up to your weight loss. You are smoking hot. Keep that in mind as you adjust to your new size.

If you are ready to maintain, you know what you need to do. Goal/maintence weight is such a personal thing for each of us. Choose a weight where you feel healthy at. You are at a healthy BMI. Many people that don’t know what a healthy BMI looks like. Family members mean well when they make comments on apearance. They are also adjusting to your rapid change. Cut them a little slack.

I understand How hard it is to wrap your mind around comments after goal. My personal experience.

I went to my local support group after goal. The nurse leading the group said, “you would look less skeletal if you gained five or ten pounds” The same day (my six month checkup) My surgeon told me “you would be your ideal weight if you lost ten more pounds”

32 minutes ago, TexasMommy80 said:

What I did learn in those three months is that the scale will jump up an down regularly while in maintenance. It really depended on what I ate in any given day, as well as where I was in my cycle. When I ate 1800 calories of junk, I saw almost an immediate jump due to bloating, etc. When I ate 1800 in Protein, veggies, etc, my weight dropped back down just as easily. Maintenance mode is tricky because you have to really pay attention to how you feel and how your clothes fit, and not the number on the scale.

I work a ten pound bounce (BMI 20 to 23) up and down the scale to maintain. I am still vigilant. I eat my weight loss calories/macros to work my high range back down. Over the years, I occasional go under that range. I know where I personally feel healthy at. My goal is to stay in this range lifelong.

My ten pound range allows me to take breaks, relax, indulge, and enjoy. I still have times I recognize old behaviors. I real them back in. It has taken years to trust myself.

41 minutes ago, TexasMommy80 said:

If the number is your only concern, you will drive yourself crazy. Seriously, it can become a problem.

^I agree with you on this.

15 hours ago, ms.sss said:

Kids will tell you the unfiltered truth, but thats not always desirable. My eldest daughter (middle child) called me out , in her own way, on my my eating patterns. She said all you do is drink hot stuff and barely eat anymore. My oldest (son) and youngest (daughter) said I'm too thin and probably need to eat a sandwich, and now I'm a nosnackaterian lol

My weight has been in a stable range for a while but sometimes i look visibly thinner if i lay off the carbs

I obviously eat well (food before and after thread) and Snacks sometimes (protein candy bars) but they probably just miss what they are familiar because change is tricky for everyone to get comfortable with

Honestly I wonder of they only miss the old version of me that allowed them to buy family size bags of whatever instead of single servings and where I drove them everywhere instead of making them walk

They are tired of my family lifestyle/diet changes 😂

11 minutes ago, Healthy_life2 said:

I work a ten pound bounce (BMI 20 to 23) up and down the scale to maintain. I am still vigilant. I eat my weight loss calories/macros to work my high range back down. Over the years, I occasional go under that range. I know where I personally feel healthy at. My goal is to stay in this range lifelong.

My ten pound range allows me to take breaks, relax, indulge, and enjoy. I still have times I recognize old behaviors. I real them back in. It has taken years to trust myself.

^I agree with you on this.

tripple AGREE

On 6/25/2019 at 8:59 PM, Deedee12 said:

Were these adults talking to your daughter or her peers? If those adults, so so inappropriate and sick!

Ugh. Adults. Busybody Aunt types and those distant cousins you only see once year. 🙄

On 6/25/2019 at 8:59 PM, Deedee12 said:

That journey has made you rightfully scared of going back but this is where you trust yourself and your commitment to staying healthy. Difficult at first but you have your surgical team/nutritionist to guide you just like you did for the weight loss journey. Time to let go of fear which is not the same thing as lack of being vigilant.

♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

On 6/26/2019 at 7:24 AM, FluffyChix said:

And while it is quite possible that you are indeed too thin, remember family and friends (and even ourselves) view our selves through a former MO filter. So their "too skinny" might be in reference to your formerly MO body. Right? Cuz seriously just looking at the chart (which isn't perfect, unless you're typically average like me), at 5'2" you have a ways of wiggle room before you're even at the low end of your normal weight range. Right? Cuz you are 5'2" and 119lbs. which is right smack in the middle of normal and smokin' hot bod. :)

Right?!? On paper the numbers tell me I'm just fine. Geez.

On 6/26/2019 at 11:29 AM, Healthy_life2 said:

I’m sorry their comments are making you question your appearance. It takes time for your mind to catch up to your weight loss. You are smoking hot. Keep that in mind as you adjust to your new size.

♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

On 6/26/2019 at 12:07 PM, GreenTealael said:

and probably need to eat a sandwich

omg i get this all the time or some variation of it..."I'm going to buy you a loaf of bread", "your stomach probably hates you right now, feed it", "here, take my dessert, you need it more than I do".

people suck.

On 6/26/2019 at 12:07 PM, GreenTealael said:

now I'm a nosnackaterian

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂