Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Maintenance Thread

@sillykitty

Those graphs look amazing and eerily like my heart rate when I see a spider 😂

😍😍😍Congrats on all of your success 😍😍😍

Edited by GreenTealael

I'm chiming in - better late than never.

I didn't phase into maintenance, I fell down a slope and landed hard on my now-skinny butt.

Due to a variety of complications, I dropped down to 9 lbs. below goal. I'm finally on a prescription that keeps everything in check and hoving around 7-8 lbs. below my goal weight. I haven't been able to move the weight any higher than 144 or so, then it slides back down. I may have to wait until the end of my honeymoon period to see where I stabilize. I eat tons of fruit and veggies and basically graze all day. I know I shouldn't, but there you have it. I do make sure I hit my Protein goal (75) and get close to a gallon of fluids daily.

Here's my chart as I went from 272 to 144

image.png.6ba6cc794b7e977058afbc9d98500edc.png

Edited by Orchids&Dragons

Still in the game! After revision i was counseled that i may lose a little more so im STILL trying to maintain in the 150s. Im 151 lbs currently and about 19 days post op. Not too rapid so I'm satisfied.

Screenshot_2019-08-03-00-26-43~2.png

Screenshot_2019-08-03-00-31-42~2.png

Edited by GreenTealael

Sooooo...I was reminded that its been a little over two months now since I started the maintenance phase and figured I'd post an update and share some lessons I've learned so far.

First a quick background refresher:

I had initially set a goal weight of 120 lbs (I'm 5'2"). When I got to 127 two months ago, I decided I didn't need to go any further, partly because I felt I was getting too small, and partly because of the comments of others saying I was too small.

I went from 600 cals to 1000 cals, which my body seemed to reject, so I went back down to 800, then 900, then 1000 by the end of month one. The increases in calories were more due to choosing higher calorie foods (nuts, seeds, nut butters, avocados, cheese, butter, cream, sauces, fattier proteins). Increasing volume did not help as much as I get/got full pretty easily.

Then I lost 9+ lbs that first month anyway. This scared me a tiny bit (ok, maybe more than a tiny bit).

Now an update:

I am now a week past 2 months in maintenance, and up until last week MFP tells me I was averaging 1500 cals a day over 7 days. I was pretty pleased last week as I managed to keep the weight loss to only 2.8 lbs for the entire month.

However. This past week MFP tells me I have been averaging 1000 again, and I dropped 2 extra lbs. This morning I weighed in at 114.6 lbs, with a BMI of 21. I'm not really surprised given my calorie intake and the fact that my exercise routine has increased...not so much in duration, but in intensity (i.e., instead of walking, I'm now running).

I drink at least 2.5 litres of Water a day, aim for 60g Protein, take all my Vitamins, do 1 hour of some sort of dedicated exercise every day, and, thanks to @GreenTealael's July challenge, continue to do the arm exercises daily that actually made a visible difference to my arms!

Mentally, I am in a much better place. I can feel that I am not as anxious anymore about "runaway" weight loss, nor do I feel that strong fear of regain. I personally attribute this to:

(1) Accepting that I actually have some control over my weight/body: If I eat too little, I lose weight, If I don't I wont. The fear/anxiety I had surrounding losing too much or gaining it all back was based on a line of thinking that I had no control over it all. But I do! I trust that if I put in the honest effort, I will succeed in navigating through this and beyond.

(2) Having a "cushion" between my current weight and my max acceptable weight. Knowing that I am about 13-ish lbs below my personal max allows me to eat a little more freely, and basically relax, you know? So I think the extra weight loss past goal was actually a good thing.

(3) Now this may sound pretty stupid and vain to some, but honestly, wearing clothes that look good on me and making myself presentable every morning does wonders to one's confidence. And confidence makes everything so much easier...and ACHIEVABLE. I mean I feel like a million bucks most days...and all because I'm wearing super cute shoes. So shout-out to @sillykitty who started that OOTD thread that seems to be cultivating EVERYONE's confidence.

Soooooo...with all that said, a few other things I have learned this past month:

a) I am a daily weigher. Unlike the weight loss phase, when my weight fluctuated form 0-1 lbs day to day, now my weight will fluctuate between 0-3 lbs day to day. I've learned to get used to this for the sake of my sanity. I also think that daily weighing (for those that can handle it of course), is the best way to stay on track.

b) Instead of trying to hit my caloric goal consistently every day, I try instead to get my weekly average around said caloric goal. So in essence, I have regular days when I eat "normally" and then will have a day or two in the week when I get to indulge. Right now my goal is 1500, but I know I need to go higher as I still lose weight at this level, taking my exercise habits into consideration (working on it).

c) Getting all my calories in is WORK. I felt, and still feel, like I am eating non-stop between noon and 7pm. It does not help that I eat so effing slow. I know this will not last forever, and that eventually my stomach will allow more volume, but still. Sometimes I just want to eat a giant slice of cake or something to just get it over with, but then I remember the dumping. Boo.

d) I am still slightly carb-phobic. While there have been days when I'd reach up to 100g of net carbs, I'm usually around 30g most days. I'm okay with this.

e) I really do enjoy logging my food! It speaks to the anal side of me, lol. It helped to keep me on track during weight loss phase, and maybe even more so in maintenance phase. During weight loss, you basically have to just get under a certain level, it didn't matter how under, so long as it was under. In maintenance, more aim/precision is required...not too under, and not too over...MFP helps me tremendously in that.

OK, I feel like I've just written a small novel. Sorry this was so long!

What is your % or grams for a daily goal of carb, Protein, fats? I am going to try to get around 900-1000 calories and not sure what the macros should be.

Check out the calculator at ruled.me ...can customize based on what your priorities are (min Protein, max carb, weight loss deficit/maintain, etc...)

For me, I am alot more lax about my macros than when in weight loss mode. Except for the protein...I actively aim for a min of 60g of protein, but I often take in much more than 60g (though I should probably up my minimum due to my exercise habits..)

- Right now I am most comfortable when my NETcarbs are about 25-35g, but I am still ok going up to 50-60g. Above that and I start making plans to limit my intake for the next day to bring down my average. I anticipate this will change as time goes by.

- As for fat, I seem to just let it fall where it may. I rely mostly on fat to increase my calorie intake levels.

Edited by ms.sss

the only macro I really pay much attention to at this stage of the game is Protein. I malabsorb it, so I need to average 100+ grams a day or else my prealbumin level tanks.

I'm not particularly carb sensitive, so I don't really count carbs - although I do stick to healthy, complex ones. A lot of people ARE carb sensitive, though, so if you are, you'll probably still need to continue to limit those.

I've never counted fats.

I basically just switched over to straight calorie counting once I got to goal - except for the aforementioned protein - I still pay attention to that.

On 08/03/2019 at 03:32, ms.sss said:

Sooooo...I was reminded that its been a little over two months now since I started the maintenance phase and figured I'd post an update and share some lessons I've learned so far.

I had initially set a goal weight of 120 lbs (I'm 5'2"). When I got to 127 two months ago, I decided I didn't need to go any further, partly because I felt I was getting too small, and partly because of the comments of others saying I was too small.

I went from 600 cals to 1000 cals, which my body seemed to reject, so I went back down to 800, then 900, then 1000 by the end of month one. The increases in calories were more due to choosing higher calorie foods (nuts, seeds, nut butters, avocados, cheese, butter, cream, sauces, fattier proteins). Increasing volume did not help as much as I get/got full pretty easily.

Then I lost 9+ lbs that first month anyway. This scared me a tiny bit (ok, maybe more than a tiny bit).

Now an update:

I am now a week past 2 months in maintenance, and up until last week MFP tells me I was averaging 1500 cals a day over 7 days. I was pretty pleased last week as I managed to keep the weight loss to only 2.8 lbs for the entire month.

However. This past week MFP tells me I have been averaging 1000 again, and I dropped 2 extra lbs. This morning I weighed in at 114.6 lbs, with a BMI of 21. I'm not really surprised given my calorie intake and the fact that my exercise routine has increased...not so much in duration, but in intensity (i.e., instead of walking, I'm now running).

I drink at least 2.5 litres of Water a day, aim for 60g Protein, take all my Vitamins, do 1 hour of some sort of dedicated exercise every day, and, thanks to @GreenTealael's July challenge, continue to do the arm exercises daily that actually made a visible difference to my arms!

Mentally, I am in a much better place. I can feel that I am not as anxious anymore about "runaway" weight loss, nor do I feel that strong fear of regain. I personally attribute this to:

(1) Accepting that I actually have some control over my weight/body: If I eat too little, I lose weight, If I don't I wont. The fear/anxiety I had surrounding losing too much or gaining it all back was based on a line of thinking that I had no control over it all. But I do! I trust that if I put in the honest effort, I will succeed in navigating through this and beyond.

(2) Having a "cushion" between my current weight and my max acceptable weight. Knowing that I am about 13-ish lbs below my personal max allows me to eat a little more freely, and basically relax, you know? So I think the extra weight loss past goal was actually a good thing.

(3) Now this may sound pretty stupid and vain to some, but honestly, wearing clothes that look good on me and making myself presentable every morning does wonders to one's confidence. And confidence makes everything so much easier...and ACHIEVABLE. I mean I feel like a million bucks most days...and all because I'm wearing super cute shoes. So shout-out to @sillykitty who started that OOTD thread that seems to be cultivating EVERYONE's confidence.

Soooooo...with all that said, a few other things I have learned this past month:

a) I am a daily weigher. Unlike the weight loss phase, when my weight fluctuated form 0-1 lbs day to day, now my weight will fluctuate between 0-3 lbs day to day. I've learned to get used to this for the sake of my sanity. I also think that daily weighing (for those that can handle it of course), is the best way to stay on track.

b) Instead of trying to hit my caloric goal consistently every day, I try instead to get my weekly average around said caloric goal. So in essence, I have regular days when I eat "normally" and then will have a day or two in the week when I get to indulge. Right now my goal is 1500, but I know I need to go higher as I still lose weight at this level, taking my exercise habits into consideration (working on it).

c) Getting all my calories in is WORK. I felt, and still feel, like I am eating non-stop between noon and 7pm. It does not help that I eat so effing slow. I know this will not last forever, and that eventually my stomach will allow more volume, but still. Sometimes I just want to eat a giant slice of cake or something to just get it over with, but then I remember the dumping. Boo.

d) I am still slightly carb-phobic. While there have been days when I'd reach up to 100g of net carbs, I'm usually around 30g most days. I'm okay with this.

e) I really do enjoy logging my food! It speaks to the anal side of me, lol. It helped to keep me on track during weight loss phase, and maybe even more so in maintenance phase. During weight loss, you basically have to just get under a certain level, it didn't matter how under, so long as it was under. In maintenance, more aim/precision is required...not too under, and not too over...MFP helps me tremendously in that.

This! 100% this!^^ I’ve found every single one pf your points to be true. There’s like a maintenance hump you have to get over before you can relax and find your new normal. Definitely you learn that you do have control over your body and it’s gaining and losing.

16 hours ago, ms.sss said:

Now an update:

OMG. Thank you so much for writing this post!!! I totally feel like I shouldn't be complaining but I am having anxiety about losing too quickly. I haven't had a stall and mentally I go into this weird unrealistic fear that I am going to have to get a NG tube for feedings since if it doesn't slow down I will be underweight in 2 months. I feel like I look healthy now, maybe a little "thick" but normal. I am barely in the healthy BMI (5'2.5 and today at 135.8, BMI of 21.6) however I feel already like I shouldn't lose but MAYBE another 5-10 pounds max, It does feel like I can't control it.

I feel like I am almost sabotaging myself by forcing myself to eat when I am never hungry, eating more than I feel like to try to gets towards a half cup volume of food and all day I feel a little dread that I need to go get something else to eat to get calories in. I am trying to get 1000 calories now but closer to 800-900 the past week and still dropped 2-3 pounds!

I also feel like I wish I could eat a muffin or something to get calories in. I had RNY and my MD program has potatoes but no bread, Pasta, oatmeal etc. So nothing is high calorie. I am drinking 2% milk to try and increase. I have eaten a 1/4 cup of walnuts twice this past week but I think it upsets my system (maybe too much fat) I feel a little nauseated later.

I think the thing that scares me is I read you should be losing 5 lbs/month after month 3 and you keep losing for 12-18 months. I will disappear before then. That's why even though I could lose another 5-10 and still be fine re BMI I feel like I need to get a handle on it now.

Thank you again for posting. You helped me more than you will ever know!!!

54 minutes ago, 2Bsmaller18 said:

I think the thing that scares me is I read you should be losing 5 lbs/month after month 3 and you keep losing for 12-18 months. I will disappear before then.

you're what we call a "lightweight". You're not going to lose as much every month as those of us who started out a lot heavier, and you're probably going to get to your goal way before 12 months is up. So...no worries!

WTG...I had my 1st year check up and doctor said I am 1lb overweight! I'm still in shock, however, it does feel good.

OK, but here is the kicker, the skin overlapping (belly) area. I started getting boils and I mean super huge boils and they hurt and when they burst, so disgusting and smelly! 😮It's like one big super huge pimple AND they drain for days! Often referred to as Panniculus . I consider myself (almost) a clean freak but err uhm, those things freaked me out. So yea, as embarrassed😕 as I am to say, I went to the emergency room. They told what a boil was and why I'm probably getting them. Fast forward a little>>> so I did some research on Panniculus and a panniculectomy (also) abdominoplasty {also} known as a tummy tuck! Right, this is considered plastic surgery! I dug deeper and found if you are having issues, such in my case, and can be proven, my insurance may cover an abdominplasty surgery. Well, I took pictures of these things, notes, and went to my PCP on each occasion. Then went to see the abdominoplasty surgeon and they are submitting the paper work to the insurance company. They may or may not approve me but I gave it a shot. In the meantime, I have antibiotics, I wash the area with antibiotic soap, and I floss down there with a towel like there is no tomorrow.😏 I have pics of them, would love to post but I do not want to freak anyone out.

I will update if I get approve or not but I was told my insurance company is pretty good with things like that so fingers crossed🤞. I will post an update on my progress.

Love the maintenance board.❤️

14 hours ago, 2Bsmaller18 said:

I feel like I am almost sabotaging myself by forcing myself to eat when I am never hungry, eating more than I feel like to try to gets towards a half cup volume of food and all day I feel a little dread that I need to go get something else to eat to get calories in. I am trying to get 1000 calories now but closer to 800-900 the past week and still dropped 2-3 pounds!

Yep. This was me EXACTLY that first month after deciding to stop (I lost over 9lbs and I was freaking out a bit)

This is what helped me (may be different for others): move the focus from trying to up your volume to choosing higher calorie foods instead: nuts, seeds, nut butters, avocados, cheese, butter, cream, sauces, fattier Proteins, olive oil, full fat everything...I do still try to avoid sugar for the most part though)

I also think (and counting on really) that there will be the several pound bounce up in weight eventually, and since I have this cushion, I am completely fine with it.

Good Luck, and keep us posted!

Edited by ms.sss

12 hours ago, sleevin7 said:

They may or may not approve me but I gave it a shot.

Congrats on being sooooo close to leaving being “overweight “ behind!! Sounds like your symptoms will definitely get you an approval! Am excited for you...getting a problematic pannus removed will sooo better your quality of life AND with the added bonus of getting you looking even more super hot 😉

Edited by ms.sss

@ms.sss, super insightful post.

I was in the same position as you 6 months ago. IME at about 1 yr post op my restriction lessened dramatically. So getting in 2K calories is a whole lot easier. It doesn't feel like a chore!

1 hour ago, ms.sss said:

Congrats on being sooooo close to leaving being “overweight “ behind!! Sounds like your symptoms will definitely get you an approval! Am excited for you...getting a problematic pannus removed will sooo better your quality of life AND with the added bonus of getting you looking even more super hot 😉

You are so awesome! Thank you!giphy.gif

Edited by sleevin7
spelling