Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting the process of getting the sleeve

Hello All!

I've been down this road before where I wanted to have the surgery then backed out, twice actually! Anyways I called this morning and made the appointment to start the process. The last time I went very close to having surgery and the 2nd time I only went to the first appointment. I'll confess a part of me chickened out but another part of me was like "I'm losing some weight.. I can do this myself". Yeah that's a lie. I'm going to be 46 and my 2 boys soon to be adults it's time for me to focus on my health. I can't live like this!

I am currently 262 but my highest the other day was 265. I'm so disappointed in myself for letting it go this long. I do have hypothyroidism which doesn't help any.

I look forward to getting to know all of you!

Christine

I am having the sleeve on June 3rd (right round the corner). I am 55 years old, 5'5", and my highest weight was 292. I currently weigh 275, so we are about the same. I honestly will tell you I am feeling fear at this point, with only days left of "life as I know it". I can also honestly tell you that I do NOT fear being thinner, healthier, and more in command of what I put into my body for nourishment. The honesty from me continues here ~~ I do NOT like wearing a size 24 pants, or a 2 XL shirt, or buying clothes that are not fashionable, and cost more. I do NOT like feeling like the "fat girl" in any room I walk in, although I have a very outgoing personality. I do NOT like feeling unattractive and I do believe first impressions count in this world we live in. So, in order to do this, I am going to conquer those fears, and embrace the "new me". I am also hypothyroid, and have been through menopause, and my primary care doctor has told me that I need to lose over 100 lbs., and this is my best option. He said only 2% of the population is able to lose that kind of weight on their own, and I know I am not in that 2%. So I am biting the bullet!! Feel free to follow my progress on here if you like ~~ and good luck to you :)

Are you guys getting your sleeve done in Mexico? I had mine two years ago by Dr Illan who is wonderful but I am going to go back for revision surgery to get the mini bypass because I lost weight but never got to my goal.

Thank you both for responding :) My surgery will likely be in November (6 months ins waiting period). I've having it done at University of Penn since I do have insurance. I do hear a lot of people do the Mexico option which is great that the option is there. Good luck to you both!

Good luck with your decision. The surgery is a tool and the rest is up to us to eat right and exercise. It's harder to do on your own when you have thyroid issues (me too!).