Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Inflammation causing severe inability to eat or drink 11 years later

Quick history. I got banded early 2008. Over the last 11 years I went from 260 to 170, held for a few years and then have been around 200 for about 6 years. I have been completely unfilled for about 5 years but still have some level of restriction. I have to eat slow, if I drink too many liquids (especially carbonated) I get the shoulder pains. Mostly ok day to day. 5 years ago I was abroad and basically experienced what felt like being stuck for around 2-3 days. I could barely get Water down if anything. It eventually went away and I haven't had any issues since. Wednesday of this week, I was up all night feeling like I was stuck on something and couldn't lay down cause of all the burping and saliva coming up. Since then going on 3 days) I have barely been able to get water down. I was hoping it would clear up again.

Mu problem is, I got banded in Mexico and have long lost contact with my doctor. I could go to the ER but over the years I have noticed that they rarely know what to do with lap bands. I have been drinking PediaLyte when I can get it down and I don't feel weak or bad at all. I am wondering if anybody has had a similar problem and what your solution or outcome was. I just want this to clear up and am seriously thinking of getting the band removed in May.

I appreciate any help or ideas.

I had a similar experience, but I was uncomfortable the whole decade I had my band...I had it out in June and I am having a sleeve done this spring.

Just look up a bariatric surgeon or start with GP and get some xrays/mri. The band could very well be eroded or turned or scar tissue around it causing the actual restriction.

I just had the same thing happen, six days , I went to emergency ( Canada ) and they removed my port, my band had slipped.

they are removing the band in a week or two.

hoping for the sleeve :(

I have suffered with the lapband since 2009. I have had problems similar to yours. Lots of vomiting, getting stuck, discomfort eating most solids. My biggest complaint is the near inability to eat anything healthy. Only foods high in fat and sugar pass the band without discomfort. I cannot comfortably eat meat and fish (unless immersed in liquid) and most vegetables . I would love to eat a salad. I spent years blaming myself for this thing not working for me. Finally decided I’d had it and it comes out Monday! Thrilled! I had an upper GI and the band is in place and looks ok. I just could not tolerate it. I am down 40 lbs from my highest weight (no thanks to lap band) and would like to lose another 40. The surgeon said they see a 40 to 60 % failure rate with the band and almost never place them anymore. Studies suggest that 90% of band removal patients gain weight. I’m going to Weight Watchers with my new normal stomach. Can’t wait.

Best of luck to you with your struggle.