Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

successful surgery, malabsorption has always been a manageable issue, tertiary swallows are now out of synch, and over the past 45 days having problem in keeping some food or liquid down, liquids will pour out if I lean over to tie my shoes, Vitamin tabs are not staying down, Iron anemia (ferritin) and D3 are low often as is magnesium. I fear my inability to eat will make all vital nutrient levels fall. Could it be the flap in the esophagus is not doing its job?

Congrats on 16 successful years!!!

I'm sorry you are having this. You should call your doc or go see your PCP and get a referral to a new doc. It could be so much! It kinda sounds like it's some kind of hernia but I don't play a doc on the internet. :( You def need to get some studies done. Things like EGD, barium swallow, and the super-awful-bad esophageal manometry/motility test are 3 of the ones that will most likely be used to dx. But if you can't keep stuff down, you gotta get it looked at. :( Hang in there!

On 2/7/2019 at 1:43 PM, jo suttle said:

successful surgery, malabsorption has always been a manageable issue, tertiary swallows are now out of synch, and over the past 45 days having problem in keeping some food or liquid down, liquids will pour out if I lean over to tie my shoes, Vitamin tabs are not staying down, Iron anemia (ferritin) and D3 are low often as is magnesium. I fear my inability to eat will make all vital nutrient levels fall. Could it be the flap in the esophagus is not doing its job?

Hi, Jo. I have no advice on your situation except that you should see your doctor. However, I was wondering what you mean by "tertiary swallows are out of sync." I'm not sure what tertiary swallows are.

Hi, it was explained to me the esophageal motor activity during swallowing is comprised of three contractions, first primary, then secondary and lastly tertiary. when we swallow these 3 muscles contract in a way that moves matter from our throat to our stomach. when they work in a natural way, food moves as it should through all 3 zones. In my case, the last muscle has lost it’s beat if you will. It no longer keeps food moving on. Food stops there and it takes more contractions than normal for that food to move on through, if it does at all. Thank heavens for Protein liquid drinks.

Edited by jo suttle
correct spelling

hello, just wondering if you were able to find a solution to your issue?

I’ve learned to live with it, I don’t eat dense meats, that includes tender meat leftovers that are refrigerated. I have learned to cut everything into extra small bite sizes and to eat slowly. Broccoli is problematic. It is so common for me to ‘lose’ what I’ve eaten that I have to remember not to bend at the waist after any meal I hope to retain.

Otherwise I’ve had no problems, maintaining my goal weight of 140 has been easy for me. I feel blessed.

I’m going on 7 months post op RNY but also have chronic illness. Surgery exposed existing conditions and now I’m seeking explanation of it and trying to cope since it’s neurological and even with a diagnosis there is no fix. The first is the mechanism that keeps liquids especially from going into the lungs when you swallow (epiglottis?) drinking Water and even thinner Protein Shakes feels like getting waterboarded. I ended up with aspiration pneumonia after surgery which revealed the pre-existing symptoms/ condition. I was told to thicken the water but it’s contrary to my small pouch and im sensitive to the ingredients in the thick it up product. It’s also horrible stuff. But more dense foods also cause trouble, apparently my esophaguses is extremely sensitive. I have stricture and the second dilation caused a mucosal tear at the ge junction. Too liquid not good, too dense not good. I’m trying to find what I can tolerate. I try to drink a little tea or 5 calorie ocean spray juice but it’s painful. I don’t even think the thickener would help.

i have similar issue if I have to be active where I need to bend at the waist and I’ve eaten I get sick. So now I try not to eat or drink while doing laundry ...

I have a small sliding hernia but they say it’s not a problem ... but you’d think it would be if a person is symptomatic.

fluffychix is right in that you should discuss a possible hernia with your doctor.

it’s awesome that you maintained your success for so long. I hope that I can get there too, despite all my medical conditions.