Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Six months post-op+ : The Sophomores Thread



Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, shoregirl75 said:

I have played with this a little bit but i struggle with my time frame. I am a nurse full time and i work 6-2 everyday and then go to our business and work 2-630. So, we don't used get to eat dinner until 730-8ish which i hate but i don't have much choice. So, because i get up at 5 and start again struggle to hold out on eating until 11 or 12 let alone 2. I just need to push myself more I guess and quit making excuses...lol

I am just going to have to make the commitment to do IF and see what happens.

I tend to find IF easier when I'm busy. If you can push through until 2, then 2-8 would be the perfect eating window. Have you tried fluids when you get hungry, and seeing if you can get the hunger to pass? That really works for me, and the bonus is, I can easily surpass my 64 oz (which is generally hard for me). What I also like with IF is you don't need to be perfect. If three days you can push through your hunger, and two days you can't, it's still a total win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Little over 8 months post op. Can’t seem to get out of 203 to 205 range. Tried IF, Tried dropping carbs to like 20 to 25 a day and managed to drop 1 freaking pound in 2 weeks. Protein is perfect getting about 100 oz Water a day. This weekend was mother’s day so I had a free weekend. And scale said 210 this morning! I am up 5 pounds since Friday. I am so frustrated right now. Wondering if anyone has tried a 10 day liquid diet this far out in the game? Like 4 Protein Shakes a day for the next 10 days? Would I finally see numbers 195 to 198? Or just setting myself up for a huge disappointment and hunger? I am afraid my body is just done. The scale has just gone up in down in 8 pound range for about 3 months now. I see my doctors and my nut every 3 months so I saw them in March and they were happy with everything I was doing. They also told me if I lose anymore it will not come easy. But I feel like I am still working hard but just have nothing to show for it. So I see them again in month and have made 0 progress since I was there last. I just want to get to 185 to 190 ish and then have skin surgery. Any thoughts on the liquid diet thing? Guess I just hope it would kick start something again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big foodie/party weekend!!!! (Although not origins or purpose... I know 😳)

To ensure that my reign of health food tyranny continues 😂😂😂😂 I insisted i do all of the food prep for the card party we are having hehehehehehe

What's everyone else doing to minimize the damage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

Big foodie/party weekend!!!! (Although not origins or purpose... I know 😳)

To ensure that my reign of health food tyranny continues 😂😂😂😂 I insisted i do all of the food prep for the card party we are having hehehehehehe

What's everyone else doing to minimize the damage?

Oh great job on mitigating damage in advance!!!! Wooot!!! And great point about this being a party party weekend with mas food and mas beverages! *gasping at the thought*

So I'm fasting this week in preparation for the weekend! :) And each day we have a party: Fri-Mon. *sigh* So my game plan is to make the healthiest choices in each of those party situations, heavily rely on ice tea rather than adult bevs, and keep the snacking to a bare minimum. I will eat sparingly around each party of very lo low foods--mainly low cal veg and lean dense Protein like tuna, sardines, herring, grilled chick/turkey breast. So that the overall damage for each day is contained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2019 at 3:49 PM, SingingEagle said:

Little over 8 months post op. Can’t seem to get out of 203 to 205 range. Tried IF, Tried dropping carbs to like 20 to 25 a day and managed to drop 1 freaking pound in 2 weeks. Protein is perfect getting about 100 oz Water a day. This weekend was mother’s day so I had a free weekend. And scale said 210 this morning! I am up 5 pounds since Friday. I am so frustrated right now. Wondering if anyone has tried a 10 day liquid diet this far out in the game? Like 4 Protein Shakes a day for the next 10 days? Would I finally see numbers 195 to 198? Or just setting myself up for a huge disappointment and hunger? I am afraid my body is just done. The scale has just gone up in down in 8 pound range for about 3 months now. I see my doctors and my nut every 3 months so I saw them in March and they were happy with everything I was doing. They also told me if I lose anymore it will not come easy. But I feel like I am still working hard but just have nothing to show for it. So I see them again in month and have made 0 progress since I was there last. I just want to get to 185 to 190 ish and then have skin surgery. Any thoughts on the liquid diet thing? Guess I just hope it would kick start something again.

Try bulking up the Protein Shakes with ice (blend) so you can stretch them... You can stretch 1 shake into 3 that way.

Then just Protein and clean dressing free salads for a week and see what happens.

Also how are your bowel movements?

Good luck!

Edited by GreenTealael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Almost 8 months post op. Lost a bit more than I had set my goal to (I’m at 127 lbs; 5’7). Stress has a lot to do with it.
Been meaning to ask all post-op pals, because my ma (had the sleeve done 4.5 years ago) and I struggle to eat during the day, but find eating the same foods so easy throughout the night. Are we the only ones going through this, or are there others who are going through the same thing? If so, how do you deal with it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question: Do you just ignore your dietician if you don’t agree? The normal RD is on maternity leave so I saw the substitute one at my 9 month follow up. She wants me to increase my carbs to a minimum of 50 a day, however would like to see me average 70-100. 😬

Currently I eat 20-50, that seems like a big jump and makes me pretty nervous. The previous RD didn’t really give me any numbers, she just said keep it low.

I had VSG 8/18, I’m 4 pounds from my first goal weight, (140), I workout 5 days a week and I eat 650-800 calories a day. I’m 58 years old and a slow loser so my hesitation is real. I don’t mind ignoring it, but I don’t want to ignore it just because of my fear of carbs.

Any advice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Question: Do you just ignore your dietician if you don’t agree? The normal RD is on maternity leave so I saw the substitute one at my 9 month follow up. She wants me to increase my carbs to a minimum of 50 a day, however would like to see me average 70-100. [emoji51]
Currently I eat 20-50, that seems like a big jump and makes me pretty nervous. The previous RD didn’t really give me any numbers, she just said keep it low.
I had VSG 8/18, I’m 4 pounds from my first goal weight, (140), I workout 5 days a week and I eat 650-800 calories a day. I’m 58 years old and a slow loser so my hesitation is real. I don’t mind ignoring it, but I don’t want to ignore it just because of my fear of carbs.
Any advice?
I would say speak with the dietician again. You are still in honeymoon period. Talk to your doctor about what you are feeling. This is the best time for you to lose weight. Take advantage of it. It gets harder with time for most of us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Cheeseburgh said:

Question: Do you just ignore your dietician if you don’t agree? The normal RD is on maternity leave so I saw the substitute one at my 9 month follow up. She wants me to increase my carbs to a minimum of 50 a day, however would like to see me average 70-100. 😬

Currently I eat 20-50, that seems like a big jump and makes me pretty nervous. The previous RD didn’t really give me any numbers, she just said keep it low.

I had VSG 8/18, I’m 4 pounds from my first goal weight, (140), I workout 5 days a week and I eat 650-800 calories a day. I’m 58 years old and a slow loser so my hesitation is real. I don’t mind ignoring it, but I don’t want to ignore it just because of my fear of carbs.

Any advice?

Honestly? I'd keep working the plan you have. Don't add or subtract anything until you are where you want to be. Time for experimentation and regain comes later. ((hugs)) Congrats. You're doing great!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2019 at 10:00 AM, GreenTealael said:

Try bulking up the Protein Shakes with ice (blend) so you can stretch them... You can stretch 1 shake into 3 that way.

Then just Protein and clean dressing free salads for a week and see what happens.

Also how are your bowel movements?

Good luck!

Poop is good 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

What do you think?

Thanks, he makes some very interesting points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GreenTealael said:

What do you think?

Pretty thought provoking stuff. Thanks for sharing. He does ask the difficult questions doesn't he? And has pretty startling insights. No wonder why he isn't very popular with his peers...

Standard of Care is very slow to change...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2019 at 4:08 PM, Cheeseburgh said:

Question: Do you just ignore your dietician if you don’t agree?

Short answer, yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×