Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long and Winding Road?

OK January Bandsters- it will be great in '08 for all of us!!

Where are you starting and where do you want to go weight wise? What co-morbidities are you hoping to gain relief from?

For me, I'm currently at 381. My "ideal" weight is 176 :eek: I'd love to get to 220 though, and am hoping to be done with high blood pressure and many of the joint aches and pains that seem to grow by the day. I am also looking forward to a more positive self-image and outlook. I know all that is possible because I've been there before when I lost weight in the past.......... but sadly could never keep it off. I'm really looking forward to a fresh start and some serious help from my new best friend!

So, what's your story?

Jim I'm not January but I'm so there with you on that Long and Winding road, and '08 being great. New beginning. I'm looking at this moment now and '08 being my Running of the Bulls in Pamploma. Banded in April, had a grand start, went back in July to a local band fill center to "save money" (sound of bad car horn goes off ) from July to October I had problems. found out my fill had everything but battery acid in it. So I'm clean, flushed and fresh. I'm ready for now. I'm ready for the next level of excercise and mentally taking myself to the jet stream.

Happy '08 in Advance.

<p>I hope to join the band wagon in January also. Got my pysch clearance today. Not sure what the time line is but the center is booking January surgeries now so hopefully I'll get one too. I am currently 288 lbs and my ideal weight is 155. I started this journey because I want to head off any health issues that I know are coming because of my weight. I want to . . . go to the theater without the armrests digging into my hips . . . fly without needing a seat belt extension . . . save my joints from replacement surgery. . . you get the idea. </p> <p> </p> <p>Good luck to those who have dates set and those of us who are still waiting for final approval and a date. Happy New Year to us.</p>

OK January Bandsters- it will be great in '08 for all of us!!

Where are you starting and where do you want to go weight wise? What co-morbidities are you hoping to gain relief from?

For me, I'm currently at 381. My "ideal" weight is 176 :) I'd love to get to 220 though, and am hoping to be done with high blood pressure and many of the joint aches and pains that seem to grow by the day. I am also looking forward to a more positive self-image and outlook. I know all that is possible because I've been there before when I lost weight in the past.......... but sadly could never keep it off. I'm really looking forward to a fresh start and some serious help from my new best friend!

So, what's your story?

My all time highest was 315 around April time. I got down to 300 (by way of low carb) in May and somehow maintained it even though I was not attempting to do so. I started low carb again in August and am now down 40 more pounds. I'm hoping to get to 249 by surgery time in January.

Being that I have been overweight since I was 5, I couldn't even fathom what a normal weight would be for me. The doc asked me what goal weight I had in mind and I had no response and asked what he thought would be a good goal. He gave me the goal of 180-190lbs. Me? Under 200? Music to my ears!

But after doing some small calculations, the BMI for a 5"7 adult who weighs 185lbs is 29, which is the very high end of overweight, verging on obese. Even though he gave me that goal weight when I was 40lbs heavier than I am now, I think it's still way too modest of a goal and I'm determined to get to a more normal weight. I've gathered that docs give their patients a number that falls into the average 50-60% loss, but I've seen so many people here on LBT who have surpassed that and I want to join them!

I'm shooting for 165lbs, which would put my BMI at 25.8 which is the low end of overweight. I'm hoping that being young will give me an advantage, but it also may not be a factor since I've never been a normal weight so I don't know how low I can get. The lowest I ever got after being full grown was 250ish.

It happens to be that I do not have any co-morbidities as of right now, but 100lbs overweight is still 100lbs overweight! I'm hoping to gain relief from my morbidity! I know the odds are stacked against me. If I don't do something now, I am setting myself up for the inevitable. Both my parents have many co-morbidities such as arthritis, sleep apnea, hypoglycemic occurrences etc. I know where I'm headed and it ain't pretty!

Looking forward to long healthy future!clap2.gif

I started with my Nutritional assessment at 325, not sure now, cause I don't get on the scales. That was my all time high, ever! I know I have been losing weight though, my clothes ae looser.

My scheduled surgery date is January 21. I got to this point because I started getting stupid injuries. I pulled a nerve in my neck, and tore a ligament in my foot. I have a cast on now. I am convinced this is because of my weight.

I have no co-morbidities, I have low Blood pressure, low cholestrol, good heart rate, and test well within range of everything else. I am just fat.

I can say that 10 years ago, I would have done this to meet a man. Now, I am comfortable in my skin and independent in the life I have created for myself. I turned 40 a few months ago, and this was my gift to myself. To spend the next 40 years not morbidly obese. I don't even have a weight loss goal, I have a size goal, I want to be a size 10.

Its weird too. My doctor had been bugging me to do this for years and I paid him no mind because I was "healthy", but with these injuries, I just woke up and decided to do it.

Its weird too. My doctor had been bugging me to do this for years and I paid him no mind because I was "healthy", but with these injuries, I just woke up and decided to do it.

This was the mindset I had also, Everything else is fine with me I'm just fat and I was meant to be fat, which is something I accepted and did not let it stop me from living my life.

My parents are the ones who actually brought up the idea of WLS, not even for me, but for themselves. When they told me they went to a seminar, I didn't even want to hear about it. I had drummed it into my head that I was going to be the healthy fat person. I thought that the only WLS was gastric bypass and I would not consider it because it seemed too drastic and I did not think the benefits outweighed the risks. But when my parents told me about the band, I was definitely interested.

I didn't acquiesce to the idea right away though. It was only after more researching and thinking, did I want to do it. Once there was a surgery I might consider doing, I realized that just because I didn't have any co-morbidities now didn't mean I'm not at risk for them in the future. Now I have the opportunity to improve the quality of my health and my life overall. I am ready to do this!

hi ya there lapdancer.................. i can hardly wait to see your latest pic.. good on you.. imawaitin to be banded on the 23rd jan

yaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Hi all.

I am sure I will have mine done on January, however I just found out today that the 10000 price goes away after the 1st of the year and it goes up to 12500, so might do it December if they can work me in, unless they can warranty me the 10000 if I agree to have it for sure and set a date.

What things I want to rid off, Holly cow :D, um:

High blood preasure which I started one year ago,

Artritis (even if it just helps it some)

Snoring lol, my husband kicked me off the bedroom now almost a year ago

Aches, pains.

Acid indigestion, kills me

Both my grandmothers had diabetis, and died from complications from it, so I am doomed, want to delay it if not completely avoid it.

oh yes, not sure if this allowed here, but if it's not kick me lol..

I want to have better sex?? Does that count?? it has to help my psichological health right?? believe it or not, It does, if not mine my husbands :)

Now I zip it :eyebrows:

I'm getting banded on Jan. 14 by Dr. Bautista at St. Mary's in Richmond, VA. Received my list of instructions over the week-end with all my dates for physical, cardiologist, classes, etc. I called today to find out the cost and what all it covers and was told it was $60,000 - or at least that's what they bill the insurance. My insurance covers the surgery as well as fills. A part of me waivers back and forth as to whether I should be doing this but I'm morbidly obese, my body has changed the last five years or so and nothing seems to be working. Listening to what all of you have to say is encouraging. My daily visits to this website keep me going and make me anxious to see what I can accomplish.

I hope to have my surgery mid-January, Covington, Louisiana. I'll start the New Year off with my pre-surgery liquid diet for two weeks. I'm looking forward to finding the old me under here somewhere by '09! I'm 5'6', 222. My goal is my "wedding weight" 130. I ache everywhere, every joint, muscle. I praying for a pain free, active life again!

~RuthE:ranger:

January Bandsters! What a great way to start the New Year! My story is so like all of yours....just yesterday I had another one of those experiences that makes me know I've made the right decision. I have created this little "comfort zone" in my life. I go from my home, to the office, back home, avoid having to go anywhere, it takes me two or three weeks to force myself to go to the grocery store, I shop online so I don't see myself in glass door reflections or mirrors other than my own, etc. Because when I go out into the real world I see myself so differently. Yesterday I HAD to go to a meeting outside of my world. Normally you sit around a conference table where you at least don't feel exposed, but NO.....it was a small room, folding chairs in a circle! OMG! I was so incredibly miserable, exposed, hanging over the chair, no where to put my arms because of my girth! I cried all the way back to my office.

I know I can do this and it is so great to have new HOPE and the support & information from LBT! I've been soaking in everything on this site for five or six weeks now.

Me...I'm 50 something, been overweight since puberty and morbidly obese for 25 years. My high 313 BMI 52 in August when starting Weight Watchers, 302 at my consultation (2 weeks ago & found out I was 1 1/2" shorter than I used to be eek), I've had my written physc test, physc evaluation, met with dietician, bloodwork yesterday and I have an appt 11/29 with cardiologist to schedule a required stress test. I am so on my way! I'm healthy....just fat & miserable; feet, knee & joint pain, can't get down on the floor to play with Grandbabies or get up, etc etc....you all know.

I know this was long. Thank you all for taking the time to read and I look forward to following all of you on our journeys to a healthier, energy filled LIFE!

OH! Forgot.....my new born on date is January 10th!!!!!!!! yea

Great thread "callmejim". Thank you all for sharing!

last November, 2006, I started my journey just like many of you. I had my fears "will this work", "should I do this", "will this be another diet failure" etc etc etc.

I was banded January 18, 2007. I started off with high cholesteral, bad lower back problems, border line diabetic, severe sleep apnea, snored like a freight train, I was busting out of all my clothes, I was tired, I was miserable, my face was puffy and really looked, weird?

Fast forward - Its now 10 months later and

No more high cholesteral, it was 146 - perfect

Back Problems - very minimal, if any

Diabetic - blood sugar tested 95 - perfect

Sever sleep apnea - my Cpap machine was lowered from 13 to 8, so almost over it, doc thinks another 20 lbs and I will lose the machine!

Snoring - NOPE

Busting out of my clothes - NOPE, keep getting smaller and smaller ones, wearing a size 11 jr. jeans today to work, but can wear a 10

Tired - Nope, full of energy now

Face puffy - not any longer, I hardly recognize myself. I actually take a double look at myself in the mirror sometimes.

Point I wanted to make, I have been there, I know what your feeling and the doubts you are having. And yes, you can do this and you will do this! Follow the band rules and you will be successful and most, if not all the medical conditions slowly disappear and you regain your life back!

I forgot to add - my heartburn, completly gone now....I don't have to sleep sitting up any longer!

Lap Band has brought new meaning to the bedroom now. lol

Sunshine2, thank you so much for sharing your incredibly inspiring story! You give so much hope to us all. The "new meaning to the bedroom now"! LOL Who couldn't use that?

I'll check out your journal too. Thanks again.

Hello Everyone! I am scheduled for Jan 9 and I am very very excited to start this ride.

My wife of 18 years is behind me and such a great support system. I have struggled with weight my entire life. I am ready for some help with this roller coaster ride. With her help and all the support from this forum I know I can do it.... We all can!!!! We are the Great Loosers of 08!!!

Congrats Everyone and lets do this!

Go Gators!!!!