Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Distal gastric bypass?

Because I have awful acid reflux the surgeon wants to do a gastric bypass where he makes my stomach into a pouch BUT he wants to do something similar to a duodenal switch as well to maximize my weightloss, he feels its necessary at this point in my weightloss. Anyone have something similar? I feel like this is very rare lol. He said he has 2-3 patients who will be getting the same thing done.

Well there are many DS, Sips, Omega Loop veterans now on here. Pretty sure Shaun or another will see your post and answer. I kinda forget some of the other DS people's names but it sounds like that will be what you're getting. At any rate, Much Good Luck to YOU=

Sounds like a DS with pouch vs sleeve. Doesn't seem too out of the norm really, with your height/weight, the extra support from the DS should make a really decent impact.

I have reservations about your goal weight however. I don't see a Bypass DS hybrid is going to get you to lose 242 lbs, I'd be afraid that you'll get frustrated with such an ambitious goal weight. WLS has around a 60-65% excess body weight loss success. Meaning whatever your "Ideal" weight is, subtracted from your current total, then taking only 60-65% of that.

So, for a Female standing 5 foot 3, "Ideal" weight is 104-127. Your call out states you current weigh 407. So assuming the high end of "Ideal" your excess weight is 280. 65% of 280 is 182. You should expect to reach 225 as your 65% of your excess body weight goal. Anything beyond that is great, but don't set your sights on a weight that's really not feasible without plastic surgery.

By all means strive for the best possible outcome, just keep in mind a more realistic goal, because when you can't reach a goal, frustration and depression can set in and sabotage your process. Speaking from personal experience, I originally had 200 as my dream goal, knowing I'd have a hard time hitting it. I've gotten close, within 7 lbs of that goal, but it's just not happening, excess skin adds to total weight, and you can't eat or exercise extra skin away.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches