Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Forbes: Why high protein diets may be linked to Cancer

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2014/03/04/the-protein-puzzle-meat-and-dairy-may-significantly-increase-cancer-risk/#39c8a2bc58b7

Note that in this article:

A high-protein diet was defined as getting 20% of one’s daily calories coming from Protein, a moderate-protein diet is made up of 10-19% calories from protein, and a low-protein diet consists of less than 10% protein.

Well keep your Protein intake at that level and be done with it.

I know there are a lot of folks who won't like this information, won't believe it, and don't want to hear about it.

There are an equal number of folks who are concerned and are trying to learn all they can about it.

Most bariatric patients eat 20%+ of their calories from Protein. Worse, most bariatric patients eat mostly animal sources of protein....meat, eggs, cheese, milk...all the whey drinks.

Traditional dietary advice for the bariatric patient puts the patient distinctly at odds with emerging findings on protein's effect on IGF-1.... and is a diet that significantly increases the odds of cancer in people under 65.

The effect is a person who is working very very hard...potentially leaping out of the frying pan into the fire.

If you're eating 20%+ of your calories from protein, and particularly, animal protein...this is research that you should be aware of, and have access to weigh for yourself. This affects you. MOST folks here have been or currently are in this category.

You may decide to do nothing. You may decide to talk to your doctor or dietitian about it. You may decide to do more research. I'm not telling anyone what to do.

You may decide to make some small changes. Replace a whey protein product with a pea protein product. Eat a little less cheese and a few more nuts. Have less dairy pudding and more Chia seed pudding. Maybe have a veggie burger once a week and omit a serving of beef. Maybe you'll make some big changes....maybe you'll be comfortable with small changes....or no changes at all.

Awareness of these studies is at best.....important...and at worst...harmless.

People have a right to make up their own minds.

Edited by Creekimp13

2 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

I know there are a lot of folks who won't like this information, won't believe it, and don't want to hear about it.

There are an equal number of folks who are concerned and are trying to learn all they can about it.

Is that why so many "folks" are responding? We are all familiar with your message, no need to repeat it daily. You are embarrassing yourself. Just do you and the rest of us "folks" will be fine. Are they the same "folks" you called losers with no lives a couple of months back when you decided to "leave"?

Edited by MIZ60

Correlation does not equal causation. The most basic of statistics courses teach you that. For people who were between the ages 50-65, high Protein diets positively correlated with increased risk of cancer. This doesn't mean that high protein diets are causing cancer. There are so many other factors to take into consideration.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

9 hours ago, Oct517 said:

There are so many other factors to take into consideration.

Seems like they took at least a few into consideration when it came to all-cause mortality.

Adjusted for age, sex, race/ethnicity, education, waist circumference, smoking, chronic conditions (diabetes, cancer, myocardial infarction), trying to lose weight in the last year, diet changed in the last year, reported intake representative of typical diet, and total calories.

16 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2014/03/04/the-protein-puzzle-meat-and-dairy-may-significantly-increase-cancer-risk/#39c8a2bc58b7

Note that in this article:

A high-protein diet was defined as getting 20% of one’s daily calories coming from Protein, a moderate-protein diet is made up of 10-19% calories from Protein, and a low-protein diet consists of less than 10% protein.

While I appreciate your "links" to all these horrible cancer related posts, I find it overkill. We are all adults here and hopefully wise enough to conduct our own research to know what side effects could come about.

Honestly, if you were to read every medical journal out there, you would find a link to cancer with everything we put into our bodies. So, thank you for these posts, but allow us to conduct our own research. For myself, I have / do conduct my own research before I change my lifestyle.

And the truth is - your diet doesn't need to be all Vegetarian or Vegan to prevent cancer.

24 minutes ago, MargoCL said:

While I appreciate your "links" to all these horrible cancer related posts, I find it overkill.[...] And the truth is - your diet doesn't need to be all Vegetarian or Vegan to prevent cancer.

1) These are not "my links".

2) This is not about becoming a vegetarian or vegan. AFAIK neither creek nor I are vegetarians or vegans.

2 minutes ago, summerset said:

1) These are not "my links".

2) This is not about becoming a vegetarian or vegan. AFAIK neither creek nor I are vegetarians or vegans.

Sorry, that was for @Creekimp13, not sure how your name got "quoted" - very weird, but my pc and phone have been acting up.... apologies to you.

I didn't say or imply anyone was a vegetarian / vegan, just stated that being one wouldn't prevent cancer either.

Hey Fluff, thanks for the bump.

While I realize you do not value this information or believe in it's relevance, I do appreciate that your comments keep it moving up the board so that others who might find it of value can find it.

By the way, how's business? Sell any of your Keto cookbooks lately? http://fluffychixcook.com/

Cheers:)

Well at least I'm not necro-posting. :) I hate when that happens!

And hey! Speaking of thanks! LOL. Thanks for plugging my Keto blog! (Not much to see there folks--especially since I quit updating and keeping it active a few years ago due to terrible lymphedema leftover from cancer surgery and lymph node removal.)--which is probably not that helpful to most of you since it's based on eating substantially more cals in a day than most of us can manage now, and for most of us, the recipes have too high of a fat content (especially us bypassers). Maybe one day when I'm healthy and fit (hey, I can dream!), I will either continue the blog with an update about my WLS journey and begin a new section devoted to bariatric low carb eating--which for me is Protein adequate, "lower-er" fat aka moderate fat, and low carb. But for the foreseeable future, I do not envision that happening any time soon. Although, the blog does still help a lot of people -- mostly those ketoneers who do not have altered gut anatomy and have to balance the challenge of eating a very low calorie diet while trying to satisfy their daily protein needs for a healthy life like we do here at BP.

Edited by FluffyChix

On 10/30/2018 at 14:53, Creekimp13 said:

Hey Fluff, thanks for the bump.

While I realize you do not value this information or believe in it's relevance, I do appreciate that your comments keep it moving up the board so that others who might find it of value can find it.

By the way, how's business? Sell any of your Keto cookbooks lately? http://fluffychixcook.com/

Cheers:)

Wait... did you just dox someone for disagreeing with you? That’s kind of an internet no-no and a bit creepy.

7 minutes ago, insta_adventurer said:
4 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

Wait... did you just dox someone for disagreeing with you? That’s kind of an internet no-no and a bit creepy.

If the shoe fits.....it is probably ugly....😂😂😂😂

Ah no..not doxing, sharing a publicly advertised site where the owner (Fluffy) makes money plugging the Keto diet.

Illustrating a possible explanation for her fanatical obsession with everything I post.

Also interesting...her bio says she's been eating a high Protein low carb diet for 14 years.

When was your cancer diagnosis, Fluffy? A few years ago, you say?

Hmmmmm....

Edited by Creekimp13