Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Study 2108: What happens after bariatric surgery makes a big difference

Bariatric surgery is not a quick fix for severe obesity. What comes after the actual surgery matters a lot too.

Weight regain is normal and is not something to be ashamed about. But, hopefully, the amount of weight regain is minimal and can be managed.

Bariatric surgery isn't like shopping at a convenience store. It requires a care team that appreciates and addressed the nutritional, psychological, physical activity and other challenges that occur in the years after the surgery.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2018/10/22/what-happens-after-bariatric-surgery-makes-a-big-difference/#4e3dce3c29b1

Wow! So let me get this straight...lifestyle and diet modification is a MUST in order to experience long term weight loss? You really won't maintain long term if you continue to eat the things that "brang" ya to the Obesity Ball the first go-round?

I'm actually pretty stoked to see this study. Thanks for posting it. I've believed that we had to change, and change fast and permanently since the year leading up to my surgery, and despite no matter how kind and gentle I shape my responses about this, I'm constantly slammed by "people who know better." People who want their proverbial cake and eat it too...(I'm not talking about the occasional "cheat" meal. I'm talking about people who think this is magic bean surgery that does all the heavy lifting for life and requires no effort or help from them. Who deny responsibility for their own behaviors re: food/alcohol/drugs/etc). This is most especially true on FB...not quite so much here in BP online community.

Thanks for posting this. I'm def. gonna save it!

1 hour ago, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:

Bariatric surgery is not a quick fix for severe obesity. What comes after the actual surgery matters a lot too.

Weight regain is normal and is not something to be ashamed about. But, hopefully, the amount of weight regain is minimal and can be managed.

Bariatric surgery isn't like shopping at a convenience store. It requires a care team that appreciates and addressed the nutritional, psychological, physical activity and other challenges that occur in the years after the surgery.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2018/10/22/what-happens-after-bariatric-surgery-makes-a-big-difference/#4e3dce3c29b1

How are you getting reports from the future??? 2108... that's intense! LOL

3 hours ago, Matt Z said:

I thought that when I saw it too and then decided it must have been written on 21 August

I just hope and pray if I start to regain I’m able to correct myself before I gain a large amount. I wonder how many of us fear regain.

No matter what we think right after surgery it is easy to slip into bad habits and it can happen to anyone.

@Matt Z Check back in 2108 to see if this study still rings true. Also, look for my new reality TV show (taking over the Kardashians' time slot) about my ability to predict the future. Watch out for tempting slider foods while tuning in to my show. :):)

I started eating like crap again for maybe 2 weeks, fell into a depression of sorts. Just pulled myself out of it Sunday and discovered a lovely 3lb gain. Which is hardly anything at all to get off but when I was half a pound from goal....ouch! The Protein Shakes and Water bottles are back in full force and the convenience food/alcohol/coffee is OUT. Just goes to show if you let yourself slide back....there will be consequences :(

On 10/22/2018 at 5:44 PM, KimTriesRNY said:

I just hope and pray if I start to regain I’m able to correct myself before I gain a large amount. I wonder how many of us fear regain.

No matter what we think right after surgery it is easy to slip into bad habits and it can happen to anyone.

I worry about regain, I'm coming up with an action plan...

In my head I'm like, how can you go back to old habits and regain when you've been through all this ****. Nope not me, won't happen here, I'm to strong willed for that. But in reality I know that if it will happen to anyone, that's the lottery I'll win. Hopefully I'm strong enough to continue on this path.