Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you choose a goal weight?

For me, it was a combination of choosing a weight at my current stage of life and my doctor helped me choose. The doctor recommended that my ideal finished weight should be 200 pounds. Any more than that would be crazy!

6 hours ago, MarinaGirl said:

I doubt you will look “ill” if your BMI is high normal. Why that kind of language?

Not sure what you mean by language? I didn’t say I looked Ill, but if I got to my recommend bmi then I felt i would look ill! At 63 I would look silly trying to look like a model! Why are you picking on me?

I have put my goal weight at 65kilos for the moment, not within the healthy BMI but it is a weight that I previously lost weight to and I was happy with. My doctor doesn't really want to set weight goals he wants to work with body composition. I had a DEXA scan the day before my procedure and my body fat was 42%. Ideally it should be between 25% to 31%. I have my first procedure follow up on Wednesday I will discuss goals with him then.

BMI is a range. Models tend to be at the lower end or under the lower end. There are very few people that will look ill at the higher end of the range . My current weight is only just in the overweight range and I look and feel fat . I can’t imagine putting yourself through this and then settling for still overweight but everyone has different goals and ultimately each individual has to be happy with their choices.

Yes I agree, but I did this for my health also everybody’s body is different. I don’t feel fat, I feel just right. You judge, my latest photos below. Also my surgeon told me he thought I’m about right and that he felt that in his opinion the bim boundries are a bit extreme. Anyway I’m still losing, even though I’m trying to maintain my current weight. I might end up hitting my normal bmi anyway 😂

06050C5A-77A7-4AEA-8402-478D53EF28CB.jpeg

My dr and nutritionist said BMI is useful for classifying large groups of people and useless for individual weights. For me I would need to lose another 40 lbs. at this point 32” pants are getting loose and I’m in a medium shirt. Bones in my shoulders are clearly visible and ribs are when I lay down. Another 40 lbs to the ‘normal’ range and I would have serious issues. Body fat is a way better method if you can get it tested.

I’m just happy I’m never the fattest person in the room now (yes I used to keep track of that!)

33 minutes ago, Jeaniered said:

Yes I agree, but I did this for my health also everybody’s body is different. I don’t feel fat, I feel just right. You judge, my latest photos below. Also my surgeon told me he thought I’m about right and that he felt that in his opinion the bim boundries are a bit extreme. Anyway I’m still losing, even though I’m trying to maintain my current weight. I might end up hitting my normal bmi anyway 😂

06050C5A-77A7-4AEA-8402-478D53EF28CB.jpeg

Congrats on your 115lbs lost. That's amazing and inspirational! Cudos!

I've no idea what your BMI or body fat is, and it's hard to tell if you still have additional weight to lose by your pose and because of your outfit and jacket. I would say objectively, that you probably do have room to reduce in your tummy and hip area but you look like a "normal woman" of your age would look in that outfit.

I do not envision you would look ill with another 15-20lb loss, however.

“Normals” fine for me. I’ll go with the advice of my doctor but thanks for your comments. The way things are going I may end of losing more anyway.

Ha! Good for you. We all have to do "ourselves."

I'm 56 years old and no forkin way do I want to go quietly into that dark night of looking like my mom or granma. I wanna be smokin hot, and look like I'm Miss Behavin' so people look at me and wonder what I'm up to and why I'm having so much fun! I also want them thinking I'm a much younger sister to my real self. LOL.

My sis is 67 and is a stone cold fox who people think is so much younger than she is--actually, younger than me--cuz she's tiny and has a knockout figure, personality and puts herself together so well. She's my role model.

IMG_3884_Month8_156lbs_maskedweb.thumb.jpg.6ff299f93fb8ca75fc4460e0b9995d21.jpg

Edited by FluffyChix

Good for you, you look great. I agree with your philosophy, I don’t want to look like my mum though she was pretty wild and foxy. I hear what your saying and perhaps I’m throwing the towel in too soon let’s see how it goes. I agree my thighs need a bit more off, just worried about any more loose skin. I too want to turn heads which I’m doing now and it’s great. Thanks for the kick up the bum. X

Love seeing before and after pics, the difference is amazing

Congrats!! You look lovely! Love the polka dots!

On 10/20/2018 at 3:13 AM, Brissie said:

Having previously lost weight, I knew my skin wasn’t going to bounce back and I would have some extra. My goal weight was a previous weight I had been which seemed to be a comfortable spot that balanced looking good with not having too much loose skin.

I hope I look good and rock my loose skin.