Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Approved for Surgery & Need Suggestions for Liquids!

Got the call the end of last week- my insurance has approved my surgery! I'm ecstatic! Apparently, the office heard back within 72 hours which I cannot fathom, working in the clinical field myself! I have the pre-op appointment with my surgeon tomorrow where we will sign consents and schedule the surgery. I'm so excited and nervous but SOOOOOO ready!!! In speaking with my nutritionist, I am told that the surgeon will request a 2 week diet of 2 meals of Liquid Protein and one meal of low carb. I'm actually okay with this, as A) it will be a great kick start to everything and B ) I was a devout Atkins follower for a solid 8 months so I KNOW I can do low carb! But here's the kicker....

I've NEVER tried a Protein Shake. Like, ever. I would not know what the best recipe is or what the best powder is. Of course I have a list of suggestions from my nutritionist but I would love to hear from those who have gone through it (because of course my nutritionist, who is wonderful, is 110 pounds soaking wet and looks like a model). I will never ever ever ever ever ever TOUCH, smell or eat a banana- if my life depended on it, that would be it. My babies loved them and I died a little each time I had one in my eye sight. So no banana recipes.

Can anyone share some actually delicious (and yes, I realize it's all up to personal taste but still) recipes for Protein Shakes? Or, if there were some really yummy Protein rich broth recipes, can you share those as well ? Please & Thank you and YAY for all those getting surgery in OCTOBER!!! :)

Congrats on getting approved and scheduling your surgery! I'm not scheduled until November so I can't give you advice on the pre-op diet yet but I know people often recommend the Premier Protein shakes and you can get them on Amazon, wholesale clubs, and in grocery stores. Good luck as you prepare for your surgery and may you have speedy recovery:)

My favorites, Premiere Protein peach and cream, some people think it taste fakey but not me, I think it tastes like the candy circus peanuts, and I loved them critters when I was a little Frustr8. Muscle Milk, strawberry, blueberry Greek yogurt , the strawberry - banana you would hate, I do eat bananas but I didn't like it either, my only other Premiere Protein was the caramel, I can't have chocolate and I feel pretty much about vanilla shakes as you do bananas, who wants thick, white and tasteless.? Adkins are not as good--, sorry I know you were an Adkins baby. DO NOT BUY Walmart EQUATE! They are cheaper, but they taste of over processed evaporated milk, leave a vile aftertaste, poured the remainder in a old pie plate for the outdoor cats and other animals and it sat and soured. A couple soy based I found okay. I just got a box from Bariatric Pal Store with other flavors to mix with skim milk, anxious to try the cheesecake, orange creamsicle and their 🍓 strawberry delight. See I am 3 weeks pist, my surgeon swiches many of his Bypassers to stage 3 sooner but Precious Pouch and I am going sliwer, I'm staying level 2 until October 9th at my next surgeon visit. That way she doesn't upchuck, I'm happier and I still keep looking. 18 pounds down since surgery, best weight loss I have had since having a baby. Dropped 25-30 pounds with each one, but pain, muss, fuss and bother to do that!

I started liquid diet Sept 27, Surgery Oct 18.
My clinic has me on Optifast 900. 4 shakes/day.
I’m allowed 2 cups cucumber, raw spinach, or celery.
I’m also allowed and clear broth, regular coffee, non sweet Water flavours.
I had a choice of only chocolate, or Vanilla shakes.
I am on Day 12.
I make my morning shake using coffee.
I also alternate using a couple of drops of coconut, or spearmint food extract for flavour.
There seems to be quite a variety of clear broths avail, including chicken with roasted garlic, Thai chicken, pho chicken, and mushroom.
My favourite is the mushroom.

Premier Protein, Atkins shakes and Protein2o (Amazon) I love, but they get expensive fassst. I usually order Natural Factors and Syntrax powders from vitacost. Syntrax has tons of nontraditional flavors (lemonade, peach, mint etc) Powders do have a different taste and textures than the pre made shakes. I prefer pre-made texture because it is already smooth, with powders I don't like the foamy thing that happens when I shake the mixture. I mix it up by using both. The brands I named above have usually less than 3g of carbs per serving, depending on how low carb you need to be.

Also unflavored powders of those same brands can be added to foods/soups/broth to get more Protein.

Avoid buying powders from untrusted sources on Amazon, it is amazing but there are fakes of Protein Powder. I got one, and the labeling was almost perfect except the ingredients list. Buy from a known retailer. I've never seen pre-made drinks have this problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

The best flavored shakes ever are Syntrax. Fuzzy Navel was my favorite. I am intolerant to whey Protein now, but before I was, I tried a ton. Syntrax Nectar was best. I am starting preop diet tomorrow and just using Atkins (they are half soy half whey). Pure Protein is really good, too. And 365 Everyday soy is so good. Egg Proteins are grossssss. Don't try them. lol.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using BariatricPal mobile app