Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I wanted the RNY from the beginning but was told that it was irreversible and the band was. I chose the band which was a big mistake. When I had the revision to remove the band I once again wanted the RNY. Again I was told the sleeve was effective with less complications. A year later I was suffering from bile reflux and ultimately ended up getting the RNY which I originally wanted 9 years ago.

Sad you had to go through 3 surgeries to achieve the results you desired in the first place. So happy you finally made it there, what a sad waste of your very,precious life and your times But live, becwell, be happy for your Future now#💕😛💕

On 08/26/2018 at 05:17, GreenTealael said:

Should we then , not view any of these posts as potential cross sections of bariatric societal norms in higher concentrations? Only extremes?

I think it’s best to look at studies that include random samples for a better picture, like the article posted above that shows only 2.5% of sleeves being revised.

Not saying that they are extremes but they are by definition self selected as posters and not a cross section.

2 minutes ago, jess9395 said:

I think it’s best to look at studies that include random samples for a better picture, like the article posted above that shows only 2.5% of sleeves being revised.

Not saying that they are extremes but they are by definition self selected as posters and not a cross section.

Understood.

My bad. I'm wrong. Lol.

On 26.8.2018 at 6:05 AM, GreenTealael said:

the number of posts where people seems willing to break protocol earlier out seems to be mostly VSG patients,

This might just be an impression because the number of people having/getting VSG seems to be quite high on this board compared to people getting RNY (let alone MGB).

revisions for non malfunction/medical reasons appears to be mostly from the VSG pool.

Well, a lot of patients seem to develop GERD after VSG so I'm not really surprised.

Edited by summerset

14 hours ago, jess9395 said:

I think the most telling proof for the low percentage of revisions is insurance. If there were a significant number of revisions, insurance companies would drop the sleeve like a hot potato and just require RNY to begin with. They don't.

Why should they? They simply refuse to pay the revision. Seems like quite a few insurance companies don't pay for revisions just like that.

5 minutes ago, summerset said:

Why should they? They simply refuse to pay the revision. Seems like quite a few insurance companies don't pay for revisions just like that.

I've seen them refuse because you didn't lose enough weight, but I haven't seen a refusal if the person developed GERD, but I guess there are some out there.

At least it doesn't seem to be that you just go out and have a revision like you can have an appendectomy when a surgeon says it's necessary.

22 minutes ago, summerset said:

At least it doesn't seem to be that you just go out and have a revision like you can have an appendectomy when a surgeon says it's necessary.

I don't know anyone who's had their appendix out, so I'll take your word on that one!

Yes you do I don't have an appendix, my surgeon took mine out when I had my gall bladder out with an open incision. Extra added bonus cause I would be cut open and,my,guts exposed. That's how I got that weird right paramedian scar that freaks surgeons out. Never had appendicitis and FYI,THERE WERE NO SEEDS, NUT PIECES OR DEBRIS THERE! So if people say don't eat that, don't swallow watermelon seed, shrimp,tails etc they don't end,up there.

Just now, Frustr8 said:

Yes you do I don't have an appendix, my surgeon took mine out when I had my gall bladder out with an open incision. Extra added bonus cause I would be cut open and,my,guts exposed. That's how I got that weird right paramedian scar that freaks surgeons out. Never had appendicitis and FYI,THERE WERE NO SEEDS, NUT PIECES OR DEBRIS THERE! So if people say don't eat that, don't swallow watermelon seed, shrimp,tails etc they don't end,up there.

OK, you apparently got some really weird nutritional info growing up! I never heard that the appendix was the waste bin of the intestines!

08/27/2018 04:44 AM, summerset said:

This might just be an impression because the number of people having/getting VSG seems to be quite high on this board compared to people getting RNY (let alone MGB).

revisions for non malfunction/medical reasons appears to be mostly from the VSG pool.

Well, a lot of patients seem to develop GERD after VSG so I'm not really surprised.

What do you consider a lot?

This study says 9%—

https://www.mdedge.com/familypracticenews/article/80250/gastroenterology/sleeve-gastrectomy-often-worsens-gerd

And this study agrees, about 9% but it shows the same 9% with bypass! It’s a smallish sample.  I don’t have time to look for more this morning, though just sending the top results.

https://www.sages.org/meetings/annual-meeting/abstracts-archive/laparoscopic-sleeve-gastrectomy-does-not-worsen-gastroesophageal-reflux-disease-symptoms-in-morbidly-obese-patients/

But, doesn’t seem like a lot to me. Just seems like those are the ones who speak up. Just like people who speak about a restaurant. It’s not the ones who had a good meal—it’s the ones who had an amazing once in a lifetime meal or the opposite.

On 8/25/2018 at 9:05 PM, GreenTealael said:

some people honestly admitting to choosing VSG vs. RNY to specifically avoid dumping, the number of posts where people seems willing to break protocol earlier out seems to be mostly VSG patients,

So I've never written about why I chose VSG, but this applies to me.

I specifically wanted VSG over RNY, because I wanted to remain flexible in my diet. I didn't want to deal with dumping, and to a lesser degree malabsorption.

I've written quite a bit about my job requiring a lot of dining out, sometime alone, but very often with colleagues and customers. I absolutely don't want to deal with dumping while "on the job". I also don't want to be "that person" altering or ordering off the menu excessively. I feel very uncomfortable doing that, and the corporate culture where I work strongly frowns upon it.

What I really haven't mentioned is my career is in the food industry. I have to be able to eat the product I sell. Dumping very likely would be an issue with my current company's products. And who knows where my career will take me? I wasn't willing to risk or cause serious complications with my career by choosing RNY.

I also wanted the ability to "cheat", for personal reasons. International travel is hugely important to me. Experiencing a country's and culture's food, is a big part of my enjoyment of traveling. This may sound crazy to some, but I'm not willing to give up gelato in Rome or sticky rice with mango in Thailand. It's only 3-4 weeks a year, and I value it highly.

Finally, I was non-compliant early on. I started eating all foods, except fibrous vegetables, at week 3 post op, plus drinking. I didn't do so because I necessarily wanted to, but because I started back at work travel and dining out. I wanted to attract as little attention to myself and my surgery as possible. I knew I had little time off and I would have to push the boundaries of my diet because of it, and I knew it was likely that the VSG would be more forgiving.

Green Tealael , you think you've met and heard every excuse?
Met someone the other day , in conversation the subject of WLS came up. You,know , at this,point mine is no secret. Other person says " I am having,a lap-band and i,guessYOU know why!"
No, I said, I don't know your reasoning, please tell me.
Well dear I don't have time for anything else. Hnnnh?😧
well,, lapband. like every other WLS is merely a tool,not a final solution. Guess who I don't think will have optimal success!