Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

any sleevers in their late 50's

I’m just a few months shy of 54. Was running errands 3 days after my May 17, 2018 surgery.
Did just an overnight at hospital.

I am almost 56, I was sleeved 6/27 and I feel like (and I’m not exaggerating in the least ) like I had a miracle happen to me. I have struggled with my weight my entire life and the past 15 years were the worst between getting divorced and raising two kids on my own . food became my emotional escape . I became a very large woman who felt super uncomfortable with herself . Everyday of my life I beat myself up over and over for allowing myself to become obese . Dieting became a no win situation and I honestly lost a tremendous amount and self esteem throughout the years that I hung onto and increased my weight .
Now ... only 8 weeks post op and I feel like another person . I’ve lost 35 pounds pre and post which on me makes a huge difference .
The first three days post op were the worst but within a week I was walking easily 4 miles a day . It’s quite an adjustment to eat in such a different way, but it’s worth every sacrifice when I am gaining my confidence back and feeling hopeful and optimistic about the future .
When I look in the mirror, it shocks me ! I look like I did years ago . It’s like I got my old self back and it feels so good!
So yeah ... at almost 56 , I’m feeling like I’m 40 again ! And I’m only 8 weeks out 😀

I am 63 and half way through the Supervised Medical Weight loss management. I have lost almost 20 pounds, focus on changing my attitude of food. I am trying to start this lifestyle change as I hope to get the surgery early 2019. However, my insurance is up in the air about if they are going to cover and bariatric surgery.

I plan to keep going and I enjoy reading that others have gone through the gastric sleeve procedure with positive results.

Hi, I'm was a month shy of 55 on July 23rd when I had mine. My doc said I had a major surgery, due to the fact that I had my lap band removed,. Which was bolted in with mesh and was attached to my abdomen. I was in pain for about 2 weeks. I went back to work after 2 weeks, and was still really weak. I'm 4 weeks out tomorrow and am finally feeling good. Still can't walk doe 30 min on the treadmill yet though like I used to.

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm 55 years old and also had a revision from a lap band to the duodenal switch. It's been the best decision I've ever made for my health. I spent one day in the hospital and within two weeks I was running around doing errands. I've got my confidence back too. It's a great feeling to reach for the size in the middle or front of the rack instead of at the very back or at the bottom of the pile. Sometimes when I look in the mirror it's hard to believe it's really me. But it is!

I'm 56. My beginning weight was 282. I had 6 months of supervised diet, 5 meetings with psychologist and surgery on 4/5/18. Today I am 201. I have finally learned food is fuel, not entertainment. I feel so much better and am so much more active. I have had a few stalls. I realized I need to drink half my weight of Water in ounces every day to lose weight (100 oz.). I have also changed up my exercise from walking and the gym to now swimming. I have a swim coach that is teaching me proper form and he is kicking my body into shape. Best decision of my life!!!!

Hi, I’m 56 and was sleeved in July of 2014. I lost 100 pounds going from 272 to 172. I’ve managed to keep all but 4 -7 pounds off. I fight that through the year.
I feel better and more confident.

I'm 56 and sleeved in may. Saw my primary care doc today for four month follow up. I've lost 50 lbs since surgery. Guess I should say , I started at 324 lbs. I feel I've been doing everything right. I've been happy with my loss. 50 lbs in four months to me is awesome. Then Doc tells me he expected me to loose a little more. What?? No..No. He's not going to rain on my parade. God is good. I came through this crazy rollescoaster ride and I've landed with my feet on the ground. I've been eating all healthy foods and doing the best I can. No, I haven't started exercising. I didn't feel I was ready. Barely eating enough calories to live. Maybe hes giving me a little push I needed but I still say he's not going to rain on my parade....I'm going to remain proud of my accomplishment.

I

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Vegasurvivor said:

I'm going to remain proud of my accomplishment.

As you should. He's a man and would probably have lost 80, but what the heck. You play the hand you're dealt. Congrats on your success!

Ted’s mom here. I’m 69 and post op I saw my primary at one week, and week 2 also saw surgeon. They are all watching my meds closely. I haven’t had any insulin since 2 days PRE op. I went from 180 units a day to ZERO units. I had the sleeve on July 16. I weighed at my highest weight 373. I my weight yesterday morning was 299.8. It was the same today. That’s ok. Tomorrow it will be down. Sometimes it goes up a pound or 2. Edema is always a problem.
If my primary said to me what yours said to you, I’d be getting a new primary.
I have multiple health issues ( the wt of 373 was s clue). My former primary said to me during my last visit with him for gout, that noticing my wt was down 5# was beyond the scope of this visit. He expected me to make an appt for each specific health problem. All I expected him to say abt weight loss was good. He couldn’t be bothered.
This is the same jackass that said to me at age 65 and 1week, you’re too old. Bad things happen after 65. I said I’m only a week past 65. I saw my endocrinologist after my primary and he absolutely I could have the surgery even up to 70. After that it gets a little tricky.
Dump the doctor who can’t support your efforts.

2 hours ago, Vegasurvivor said:

I'm 56 and sleeved in may. Saw my primary care doc today for four month follow up. I've lost 50 lbs since surgery. Guess I should say , I started at 324 lbs. I feel I've been doing everything right. I've been happy with my loss. 50 lbs in four months to me is awesome. Then Doc tells me he expected me to loose a little more. What?? No..No. He's not going to rain on my parade. God is good. I came through this crazy rollescoaster ride and I've landed with my feet on the ground. I've been eating all healthy foods and doing the best I can. No, I haven't started exercising. I didn't feel I was ready. Barely eating enough calories to live. Maybe hes giving me a little push I needed but I still say he's not going to rain on my parade....I'm going to remain proud of my accomplishment.

I

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

He should have said what my surgeon said, "Great job! Remember to move as much as possible during your first 6 months, this is the time where it will be easiest to lose weight." These were the words I needed to keep motivated. I joined an exercise program and am walking on every break I have.

Be proud of yourself, but keep moving and pushing yourself. It is more difficult with all of our hormones to lose weight as we age. Best of luck on your continuing journey.

2 minutes ago, tedsmom said:

Ted’s mom here. I’m 69 and post op I saw my primary at one week, and week 2 also saw surgeon. They are all watching my meds closely. I haven’t had any insulin since 2 days PRE op. I went from 180 units a day to ZERO units. I had the sleeve on July 16. I weighed at my highest weight 373. I my weight yesterday morning was 299.8. It was the same today. That’s ok. Tomorrow it will be down. Sometimes it goes up a pound or 2. Edema is always a problem.
If my primary said to me what yours said to you, I’d be getting a new primary.
I have multiple health issues ( the wt of 373 was s clue). My former primary said to me during my last visit with him for gout, that noticing my wt was down 5# was beyond the scope of this visit. He expected me to make an appt for each specific health problem. All I expected him to say abt weight loss was good. He couldn’t be bothered.
This is the same jackass that said to me at age 65 and 1week, you’re too old. Bad things happen after 65. I said I’m only a week past 65. I saw my endocrinologist after my primary and he absolutely I could have the surgery even up to 70. After that it gets a little tricky.
Dump the doctor who can’t support your efforts.

Congrats on getting out of the 3s AND totally off insulin!!! You're doing great!

Your former PCP sounds like an @ss. Glad you dumped him!

I’m 59, and have started my pre-op phase. The one thing I need to get motivated about is exercise. I have it listed as something I should do, but I just can’t get started. Any suggestions?