Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

any sleevers in their late 50's

I am 55 and 7 weeks post op. I have lost 39 pounds. Weight came off crazy fast the first two weeks. Since then it really varies. One week I only lost 1.5 pounds. But then others it will be 4 pounds. I have had zero problems. Recovered quickly and went to work 1.5 weeks after surgery. I have been able to tolerate any food including spicy food. The first week was tough, i’m Not going to lie. Until you can eat full food it is pretty tough too. But it’s only 4 or 5 weeks. That is a short time. Now I am still amazed at how little I can eat. There were Times I wanted to just tear into my food but you just can’t eat much. It can be disappointing when it happens. But that has hanged over the last couple of weeks. Now I am happy I can’t eat much. It keeps me motivated because I know I will lose weight. I have learned to enjoy the few bites of food I can eat. I would do it again!

I am 57 and 220 lb 5" 5. I tried to do the sleeve last year and 2 wks before surgery i cickened out. i really hope i can go through with it this time . im scheduled for the end of november. My goal weight is 170. Im scared that my skin will fall alot along with my hair. I already have wings . and flacid skin at my age... N i know that plastic surgery is out of my lead. Im doomed. I will continue with my appointments n see what happens in the future. Very confused

Palomabella... Go for it! I'm 69 and 1 month post op. I have felt better ever since I awoke post op. For me it was lifesaving surgery. 50/50 odds. For me there was no choice. I tried to have the surgery in 2016, March 7 to be exact. I sought our the best surgery group in my state. I went into surgery at 7:00 am. I awoke in the OR suite at 7:45 am. I knew immediately something went wrong. I was very alert. I asked what went wrong? A few hours later my doctor came to recovery and told me my liver was too bad to proceed with the surgery. He did a biopsy and closed my 4 incisions. It was devastating. Turns out the cure for a bad liver is weight loss. That's a catch 22.
So 2years forward and my health has continued its downward spiral. I knew I would not be around for my 70th birthday.
I went for a consultation with a local surgeon new to our area. I took the photo of my liver and accompanying data. He said it could be done.
After many, many tests. My day finally arrived. July 16.
I felt so much better immediately. When I awoke I felt as if all the rotten and diseased stuff in my body left with my miserable stomach. I had NO Pain other than 3 gas pains and NO nausea. The only discomfort since is when I eat or drink more than 4-5 ozs. My highest weight was 373. That was some time before pre op. I lost about 10# off that quickly. At this time, 1 month and a day post op I am down 62# this morning I weighed 311#. I'm sleeping better, walking better, alert during the day. I put my own shoes on this morning.. Go for it! It's all good..
It only gets better from here.

Palomabella... Go for it! I'm 69 and 1 month post op. I have felt better ever since I awoke post op. For me it was lifesaving surgery. 50/50 odds. For me there was no choice. I tried to have the surgery in 2016, March 7 to be exact. I sought our the best surgery group in my state. I went into surgery at 7:00 am. I awoke in the OR suite at 7:45 am. I knew immediately something went wrong. I was very alert. I asked what went wrong? A few hours later my doctor came to recovery and told me my liver was too bad to proceed with the surgery. He did a biopsy and closed my 4 incisions. It was devastating. Turns out the cure for a bad liver is weight loss. That's a catch 22.
So 2years forward and my health has continued its downward spiral. I knew I would not be around for my 70th birthday.
I went for a consultation with a local surgeon new to our area. I took the photo of my liver and accompanying data. He said it could be done.
After many, many tests. My day finally arrived. July 16.
I felt so much better immediately. When I awoke I felt as if all the rotten and diseased stuff in my body left with my miserable stomach. I had NO Pain other than 3 gas pains and NO nausea. The only discomfort since is when I eat or drink more than 4-5 ozs. My highest weight was 373. That was some time before pre op. I lost about 10# off that quickly. At this time, 1 month and a day post op I am down 62# this morning I weighed 311#. I'm sleeping better, walking better, alert during the day. I put my own shoes on this morning.. Go for it! It's all good..
It only gets better from here.

Wow. U have gone through a lot... Sorry to hear that. But that past n your surgery was a success. Thank god. Congrats for your new life. This is the kind of encouragement i need. This is the good endings i like to hear at our age. My problem is that I think. That im reading too many posts in this forum and getting scared. Too many posts on hair baldness n loose skin. I feel ugly already imagine me with extra skin and not being able to remove it.

I’m 54, and aside from getting sick from the anesthesia it was an easy recovery. I worked from home the day after I left the hospital, 3 days post op. The following day I started light housework.

Weight loss wise I’m down about 38 Lbs and it’s been about 3 weeks. I am walking and swimming as much as I can to help along.

Good luck!

Wow. U have gone through a lot... Sorry to hear that. But that past n your surgery was a success. Thank god. Congrats for your new life. This is the kind of encouragement i need. This is the good endings i like to hear at our age. My problem is that I think. That im reading too many posts in this forum and getting scared. Too many posts on hair baldness n loose skin. I feel ugly already imagine me with extra skin and not being able to remove it.

Let's not focus or the sorrows we read but on the much improved health and vitality we gain from a successful surgery and better eating habits. I was terrified that I would be hungry all the time just like before surgery. I am not hungry all the time. I do get hungry at times because it's been a while since I ate , more than 4 hours. That's when I am likely to push in more than my 5 ozs. Then my tummy hurts for about an hour. The days I watch my Protein intake and do not get hungry are much better days. I'm learning. It works. I dropped 4 pounds yesterday.
I'll take crape-y skin anytime over being diseased, deformed, disabled, and dying.
Heck I could put an eye out with my wing flaps now. When the fat is gone those flaps would just be a love tap. No eyes in danger.
Remember to take Vitamin B1. That's thiamin. It goes a long way in preventing nausea.
Following this kind of surgery, when patients get sick, vomiting and dehydration, ending up in ER. They are given a banana bag IV and all is well. A banana bag is an IV bag of Vitamins including B1.

I am 52, and I do not regret a thing!

It has changed my life so dramatically and everyone in my immediate circle can see the difference in me. I have energy, I can walk fast! and I can slide about in my bath when before my hips used to get stuck in the middle, I kid you not!

Go for it, you will never regret this life changing surgery x

55 at time of Sleeve on 8/23/2016. 2015 weight 300+ (based on photos - didn't get on scales then). Highest recorded weight 275 in April 2016. Current Weight 155 and still losing (sort of - trading fat for muscle mass). I was in the hospital one night. Surgery Tuesday, Discharged Wednesday. Did the grocery shopping on Friday (made the husband and kids carry stuff in and had a kid at the grocery store load the bags in the cart and car.) Went to the gym and road a recumbent bike for 15 minutes on Saturday. Went back to work Monday. (I work from home T, Th. Fr).

So, where am I now - I am a nationally ranked foil fencer in my age group (50-59). I can deadlift 195 pounds and back squat 215. I went from a size 24 to a size 6 or 8, depending on the manufacturer. I haven't had plastics yet, but have had a consult and my plastic surgeon says I'm probably carrying 10 pounds of fat and skin that will disappear with the tummy tuck/panni. My body fat is at about 30% which isn't bad for a post-menopausal woman whose had two kids.

I had little pain, but did walk every hour when I was in the hospital (each time they woke me for vitals, I got up and walked a lap of the floor.)

My only regret is waiting until I was 55 to do this.

Congrats Diana, you have done amazingly well.

I’m 2 weeks post op and I’m hungry all the time. I have only lost 22 lbs including pre op weight. I have no problems with being able to eat anything so far. Getting depressed!

Thinking of you @ Hope2. May your surgery. today (August 18) go welln and may you have a smooth event-free healing. It is always wonderful to meet new friends on here.[emoji14]
Thank you Frustr8.

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

I say go for it! I have no regrets. I’m 53 had surgery October 17, 2017. Was 240 now 190. I do get hungry but it’s a different feeling. My issue is I get bored. When I’m bored I want to eat. I think my body is comfortable with only losing 50 lbs. my mind is not. I can’t eat avocados. I love them and miss that. I walk some but get shoulder pain and foot pain. I also use a cpap machine. That has gotten a lot better with the weight loss. I do feel a lot better losing 50 lbs.

How long did it take you to lose the 50? I am 240 , want to get to 170

About four months. I’ve been stuck at this weight for a few months because im not drinking enough and am an emotional eater still. Im determined to lose 20 more pounds and I’m glad I’ve lost the fifty so far.