Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PROJECT LAST CHANCE! 3rd Bariatric Surgery Scheduled...Sleeve to RNY Anyone?

I realize that most people will probably gloss over this topic...because for most 1 surgery works and is enough and if you fall into this category, please know how fortunate you are. This is not my story :(

I am 5'8. In 2007 I was 273lb's and miserable! I got a Band. Following 13 fills and unfills the best I lost was 60lb's, I never achieved restriction, and unfilled to have 2 kids. All weight returned. In an unrelated accident my port flipped, and in 2015 at 265lb's I was revised to a Gastric Sleeve (Also had my gallbladder taken out, a Haital hernia repaired and the band removed). I lost 60lb's in the first 4 months and then...stopped loosing. At 205lb's I would have been happy with my results, but then, I felt no restriction and started to regain! Fast forward almost 3 years to today...I have developed GERD pretty bad and I've regained most of what I lost back!

My stomach feels hungry every hour or two, I could always eat WAY more than my sleeved friends, and once I got myself full, it would not take long for the deep primal hunger to return. I have no relief from hunger. Especially at night, I'm ravenous! I became a grazer! I felt that the Ghrelin was back with an Army to fight me! A 80% international traveling job plus unlimited access to food in the best restaurants around the globe did not help. I have felt dejected, humiliated, like a failure, angry, frustrated and the list goes on for miles, if you are still reading, you probably know how I feel. And indeed, It's not just about how I look...it's about how I feel. Horrible!! My weight is pressing, intrusive and pervasive. There is no time that I am not aware of it. I have sleep Apnea, I can't keep up with my 6 and 7 year old's and the simple things in life are hard again. Completely demoralizing... After almost 3 years, I finally said "Enough" and went back to a new Surgeon. An Endoscopy revealed it has not all been my fault. My Sleeve was cut too big to begin with! My new surgeon reveled he knows the work of the previous surgeon who apparently was not very skilled at the time and making sleeves too big to be successful. A Bougie 42 was was too big to begin with but in my case, even that was very loosely cut. To top it off, my Sleeve was mis-shapen to begin with as well, setting me up for failure and I have a Stricture in the middle, causing me to have an Hourglass shape. Top fills up, stretches, bottom is hungry, then food goes to the bottom and is still there, top is hungry, in short...a hot mess!

Miraculously given the Haital Hernia, GERD, Stricture and botched initial surgery, my insurance (that does not cover Bariatrics) has approved a revision to Bypass on Aug 22nd. I've been combing the internet for Sleeve to RNY revision but such information is not as readily available as 1st timers. I am so nervous...so frightened to go through with this. Scared of Anesthesia, scared how I would do, scared of the 3 week post op liquid only phase. Scared that I will fail again, that this will not work. Some Surgeons (like the Pound of Cure guy say you can only expect to loose 10 - 25lbs on a Sleeve to RNY revision, woa?? ) But I have to try...I want to live a full and vibrant life and not just exist like an Amoeba! This is truly Project last chance. My husband is supportive, but my friends, judgmental and not supportive. and if ever I needed some advice, encouragement, support etc...it's now...

Nervous but cautiously hopeful, and very much in need of your support...

Ellie

I realize that most people will probably gloss over this topic...because for most 1 surgery works and is enough and if you fall into this category, please know how fortunate you are. This is not my story

I am 5'8. In 2007 I was 273lb's and miserable! I got a Band. Following 13 fills and unfills the best I lost was 60lb's, I never achieved restriction, and unfilled to have 2 kids. All weight returned. In an unrelated accident my port flipped, and in 2015 at 265lb's I was revised to a Gastric Sleeve (Also had my gallbladder taken out, a Haital hernia repaired and the band removed). I lost 60lb's in the first 4 months and then...stopped loosing. At 205lb's I would have been happy with my results, but then, I felt no restriction and started to regain! Fast forward almost 3 years to today...I have developed GERD pretty bad and I've regained most of what I lost back!
My stomach feels hungry every hour or two, I could always eat WAY more than my sleeved friends, and once I got myself full, it would not take long for the deep primal hunger to return. I have no relief from hunger. Especially at night, I'm ravenous! I became a grazer! I felt that the Ghrelin was back with an Army to fight me! A 80% international traveling job plus unlimited access to food in the best restaurants around the globe did not help. I have felt dejected, humiliated, like a failure, angry, frustrated and the list goes on for miles, if you are still reading, you probably know how I feel. And indeed, It's not just about how I look...it's about how I feel. Horrible!! My weight is pressing, intrusive and pervasive. There is no time that I am not aware of it. I have sleep Apnea, I can't keep up with my 6 and 7 year old's and the simple things in life are hard again. Completely demoralizing... After almost 3 years, I finally said "Enough" and went back to a new Surgeon. An Endoscopy revealed it has not all been my fault. My Sleeve was cut too big to begin with! My new surgeon reveled he knows the work of the previous surgeon who apparently was not very skilled at the time and making sleeves too big to be successful. A Bougie 42 was was too big to begin with but in my case, even that was very loosely cut. To top it off, my Sleeve was mis-shapen to begin with as well, setting me up for failure and I have a Stricture in the middle, causing me to have an Hourglass shape. Top fills up, stretches, bottom is hungry, then food goes to the bottom and is still there, top is hungry, in short...a hot mess!

Miraculously given the Haital Hernia, GERD, Stricture and botched initial surgery, my insurance (that does not cover Bariatrics) has approved a revision to Bypass on Aug 22nd. I've been combing the internet for Sleeve to RNY revision but such information is not as readily available as 1st timers. I am so nervous...so frightened to go through with this. Scared of Anesthesia, scared how I would do, scared of the 3 week post op liquid only phase. Scared that I will fail again, that this will not work. Some Surgeons (like the Pound of Cure guy say you can only expect to loose 10 - 25lbs on a Sleeve to RNY revision, woa?? ) But I have to try...I want to live a full and vibrant life and not just exist like an Amoeba! This is truly Project last chance. My husband is supportive, but my friends, judgmental and not supportive. and if ever I needed some advice, encouragement, support etc...it's now...

Nervous but cautiously hopeful, and very much in need of your support...

Ellie

I hope it all work out for you
Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you @Tanya Busby !

I can feel the pain and anguish in your post about the first two surgeries not being successful. I can't imagine how hard that has been. I hope the third time is the charm, and it certainly sounds like you have a good surgeon now and you're in the mindset to make the necessary changes. I wish you the best in this new journey, as you know it's hard work, but you can do this.

Thank you so much @ChaosUnlimited my post was so much more painful but I tried to edit out the drama, and leave the facts while secretly screaming for help. This revision is all I can think about. It has GOT to work!! Wishing you blessings on your journey too! 💕🙏🏼

You have a believer in me Ellien I am certain you can do this and do it well. I am going to have my RnY surgery September 5th, haven't had any,other surgery of ti[,

AW, thank you @Frustr8 ! Very excited for you! As a first time surgery, you will do awesome! This procedure is the Gold standard they say. I will be happy to stay in touch and share my experiences with you as we will be only 2 weeks apart. Thank you for the vote of confidence and for reading my long post 😊💕

OMG - thank you so much for posting this!! I, too, have been combing the forums for some info on this and have found zip!

I had the sleeve 4 years ago in Cancun and lost 87# with it (297 SW), only to gain back 50#. I'm devastated and ashamed. I am going to a new surgeon on 9/5 to talk about a revision to RNY as I feel that is my only hope to fix this failure. I feel hungry all the time and, while I do not each large volumes like I did before my sleeve, I'm still gaining. I travel often and am usually taking clients out to dinner, so that doesn't help (we have very similar situations).

I am so excited to hear you are getting this done and I pray it is wildly successful for you. Thankfully you have a supporting husband and you will have support here :) I'm cheering for you and hope to follow in your footsteps shortly. Please keep us updated!

@ncgirl77 you are definitely not alone in regain. My doctor said he’s seeing more and more Sleeve regains :/. An Endoscopy might give you further insight. I have 2 more days to go.... unbelievable. It feels like time is flying and standing still at the same time. But anyhow I sent you an inbox message as well so we can stay in touch ;)

Good luck on your surgery tomorrow Ellie! We are both on the same path. I know we will be successful this time. Please keep me posted on your progress. I have less than 3 weeks to go so I'm not far behind you.

Sent from my VS996 using BariatricPal mobile app

21 minutes ago, shoregirl75 said:

Good luck on your surgery tomorrow Ellie! We are both on the same path. I know we will be successful this time. Please keep me posted on your progress. I have less than 3 weeks to go so I'm not far behind you.

Sent from my VS996 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you so much. Yes, quite nervous and just wanting it to be behind me. I hate this dread. I know there is a lot of work to do afterwards. I’m older and wiser as they say...and I realize I need to walk my way through the gas and I need to keep my head focused and my heart prayerful, and work through each stage with resilience and resolve. It’s such a mind game.

Good luck, good luck, good luck! Third time's a charm:)

@ellie123 I'm a revision as well, Luckily I didn't get sucked into the band to sleeve revision that I actually was originally looking to do. So glad my surgeon refused to do any band to sleeve revisions due to added complications and issues in doing so. Had the band to bypass revision in March and I couldn't be happier overall, I really do wish I went with the bypass way back in 2011. Could have saved SO MUCH TIME!

My Sleeve to RNY revision is in T - 2 hours and 20 minuets. Arriving at hospital. Please say a prayer for me

Sending prayers your way! You will be fine and it'll be over before you know it!