Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Changing BC after surgery?

My surgery was November 2017 (VSG) and I've had issues with breakthrough bleeding on my usual pill, and still despite changing pills about 3 months ago. My provider thinks it could be an absorption issue, which I don't know if I necessarily agree with considering I had VSG and not bypass, but anyways...

Has anyone gone to the Nexplanon (arm) birth control after surgery? Thoughts on it? I'm half a** looking into it (aka kind of not really) but wanted to see if anyone had personal experience on here going from pill to arm implant.

I haven't done nexplanon, but I do have an IUD and I LOVE it. Don't have to worry about it at all. Used to have terrible periods including terrible PMS/PMDD and very heavy...now the most I have is one day of spotting each month. Sorry I can't answer your question!

+1 for the IUD. I love it.

I plan on changing birth control if I cannot continue to take the pill. I had bypass, I see my gyno next week

if I need to change bc, I am opting for the shot or Nuva ring. I wouldn’t mind doing Implanon but I want to start trying for kids within 1year and 9 months and I have read some horror stories about the sticks being removed.

definitely not getting the iud because I have had too many friends get pregnant with it or are actual IUD babies. Besides my sister developed increased blood pressure from having the IUD

i just want something simple lol. I love the pill so much

17 minutes ago, Bryn910 said:

just want something simple lol. I love the pill so much

Right?! Me too. I take other pills, it’s easy to remember and take and it doesn’t need to be inserted in my body for however long. My gyno office actually told me today on the phone there’s a higher dose pill than I am on, I’m going to ask for that if it doesn’t stop soon.

3 hours ago, Bryn910 said:

I plan on changing birth control if I cannot continue to take the pill. I had bypass, I see my gyno next week

if I need to change bc, I am opting for the shot or Nuva ring. I wouldn’t mind doing Implanon but I want to start trying for kids within 1year and 9 months and I have read some horror stories about the sticks being removed.

definitely not getting the iud because I have had too many friends get pregnant with it or are actual IUD babies. Besides my sister developed increased blood pressure from having the IUD

i just want something simple lol. I love the pill so much

If you want to have children soon, I would warn against Depo Provera. I was on it off and on for years. It takes so long to get your period back after going off of it. Upwards of a year for me personally.

You may have some anecdotal reason to be anti IUD, but it is far more effective than just about any other than option.

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/birth-control

8 hours ago, sillykitty said:

If you want to have children soon, I would warn against Depo Provera. I was on it off and on for years. It takes so long to get your period back after going off of it. Upwards of a year for me personally.

You may have some anecdotal reason to be anti IUD, but it is far more effective than just about any other than option.

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/birth-control

Oh wow, had no idea about that concerning the shot. Thank you.

If my doc says the iud is the best option I will have to consider it for sure

I had heard scary stories before I got my IUD too, but when it actually came time to get it inserted it was a breeze. Maybe like 5-10% more uncomfortable than a Pap smear but insertion lasted like 20 seconds. Removing it is just as quick. I’ve had mine for two years now and it’s been great.

I always had trouble taking the pill when I was supposed to, and I had more of the mood effects and still had heavy and very uncomfortable periods while on it. It’s all about researching and exploring what works best for you though! Best of luck!

@AELdoesRNY

I have had an IUD as my form of birth control for 2 years, and want to keep it during and post surgery. I won't have to get it removed or anything prior to surgery, will I?

On 08/09/2018 at 12:14, bariatricbride said:

@AELdoesRNY

I have had an IUD as my form of birth control for 2 years, and want to keep it during and post surgery. I won't have to get it removed or anything prior to surgery, will I?

I didn’t have to, I’d be very surprised if you did! It also meant I got to skip all the pregnancy tests both at my pre-op physical and morning of surgery!

So I just got back from my doc and she said only options for me that would suit my needs would be nexplanon (arm implant), IUD and Nuva ring. I love the idea of the nexplanon but want to try non-implant birth control first. So Nuva ring it is.

I really still like the idea of getting my period monthly and some women lose their periods with implants.

36 minutes ago, Bryn910 said:

really still like the idea of getting my period monthly and some women lose their periods with implants.

I would love to lose my period most months. But I imagine that would make it a monster to deal with the months it did show up.

My appointment is coming up soon so have a lot to ask about. Nexplanon, IUD, and maybe even depo...because I don’t want kids. So that side effect mentioned above doesn’t bother me. But the weight gain possibility does. So many choices! 😳

2 hours ago, Bryn910 said:

So Nuva ring it is.

Good luck with the Nuva ring. :)

Just a word of warning, if I took the ring out for more than a few hours it would always trigger a start of a period for me. It was super annoying to me, because I prefer to have no period at all.

1 minute ago, sillykitty said:

Good luck with the Nuva ring. :)

Just a word of warning, if I took the ring out for more than a few hours it would always trigger a start of a period for me. It was super annoying to me, because I prefer to have no period at all.

Oh wow. Thanks for the heads up for sure :)

1 hour ago, redhead_che said:

I would love to lose my period most months. But I imagine that would make it a monster to deal with the months it did show up.

My appointment is coming up soon so have a lot to ask about. Nexplanon, IUD, and maybe even depo...because I don’t want kids. So that side effect mentioned above doesn’t bother me. But the weight gain possibility does. So many choices! 😳

On Depo I had no period at all, no spotting, anything, after the 1st 3 months. I LOVED it!

Did it cause weight gain? I'm not sure because I went through a lot of lifestyles changes during those years, and didn't practice a healthy lifestyle. So hard to know if it contributed.

One thing that scared me off Depo, was the many studies showing it caused a loss of Bone Mineral Density. I finally figured it wasn't worth the risk the me long term health, sadly

https://nwhn.org/depo-provera-and-bone-mineral-density/

I currently have the Mirena IUD, which I got right before my WLS, 6 months ago. I chose it because usually women have no periods on it. I have lots of friends who love it and have had that experience. I had a few normal periods after getting it, and now have annoying, unpredictable spotting. :angry: I'm hoping that will go away soon.