Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision on August 9 and I’m scared

I had a lap band ten years ago , I was successful even through a lot of intolerance. It has slipped and even though I lost 85% of my weight and regained some after triplets 5 years ago I’m still riddled with diabetes etc. so because of the hormonal component the rny is happening on August 9 and band being removed . I even had to gain like 15lbs to be the right BMI (ugh)

But I don’t really remember the pain. I remember some and recovered fast . I’m anxious to never feeling stuck again and never feeling this port in my abdomen but I’m just nervous of how I will feel already being anemic and having three 5yos . The surgery the day before kindergarten starts :(

I’m also hangry since now that I’m approved and on a low carb diet until surgery and low carbing stinks . How long will I stay ? I just stayed overnight with a band .

3 hours ago, sld21 said:

I had a lap band ten years ago , I was successful even through a lot of intolerance. It has slipped and even though I lost 85% of my weight and regained some after triplets 5 years ago I’m still riddled with diabetes etc. so because of the hormonal component the rny is happening on August 9 and band being removed . I even had to gain like 15lbs to be the right BMI (ugh)

But I don’t really remember the pain. I remember some and recovered fast . I’m anxious to never feeling stuck again and never feeling this port in my abdomen but I’m just nervous of how I will feel already being anemic and having three 5yos . The surgery the day before kindergarten starts :(

I’m also hangry since now that I’m approved and on a low carb diet until surgery and low carbing stinks . How long will I stay ? I just stayed overnight with a band .

I was a band to bypass revision as well. Best thing I've ever done! Recovery was pretty damn easy for me as well, not sure if it was because of all the tricks I learned post op with the band or what but it was very easy to heal the bypass. How long you stay is going to depend on the doctor, hospital and your insurance. I was in for 3 days 2 nights including the day of surgery.

I also went band to bypass. I had the band for 7 or 8 years, can't remember. I've had the band "opened up" (No restriction) for several years. Got so tired of choking. My hospital wanted to let me out the day later (1 night stay) but after a round of dehydration and general (pretty bad) pain, they held me another night.

I was in my early 30's when banded and now early 40's. My pain tolerance is lower than it already was. Will it hurt? Yeah, and it hurt more than I expected the first 2 or 3 days. After that, it got a lot better each night. I woke up to less pain each day. I stopped the pain meds about 3-4 days after hospital discharge if that helps.

Mt surgeon said that I had a lot of scar tissue, so my surgery time was 5 hours. I was in recovery for 3 hours, and then up to the normal rooms. I expected 5 incisions like with my band, but I had 7. Two of them were about 1-1.5 inches long. 2 are pretty far out on my sides, not as concentrated in the center as I would expect. I did have robotic assisted surgery, so maybe that is why the extra incisions. My port was on my left side and was flipped pretty good, but oddly the two larger incisions were on the right side.

It is a bit unusual to go from "only eat 3 times and no snacks" to "eat at least 3 times, with Snacks in between". I am consuming about 400 calories a day right now and just got "a talking to :) " by my surgeon as he wants me to up it to 800 calories. I give that as an example for how little I want to eat. Expect tastes and smells to change. I think having the band already prepped you for what to expect and I'd wager that the doctors and nurses would agree us revisionists generally freak out less about things post-surgery.

I am very glad I did it, and I'm sure you will as well!

My bypass revision date is also Aug 9th. I just had my dr/hospital pre op on Tues. I won't know what time I'm scheduled for until the day before and the nurse will call me. I had the lapband in 2009 and it slipped in 2013. Had a sleeve revision at the same time as the band removal in 2013. I've had raging reflux ever since. My GI dr told me a revision was the only thing left (I take more than the highest dose of PPI, I eat non acidic foods and eat about 85% reflux diet, and I sleep in an adjustable bed). Had the 24 hr ph test (tube up my nose for 24 hrs, it sucked), upper endoscopy, and an upper gi. I'll go 6 days without reflux and think I'm golden, and I will call the next day to cancel my surgery. Then, BAM. Im up for 2-3 hrs coughing up stomach acid and severe chest pain. I cough up stomach acid for 2 days afterwards. I spent 3 weeks in the hospital last year for aspiration pneumonia, I was super sick. Then I got it again in Nov, this time I got it in time and nipped it in the bud quicker

SO, I'm having bypass revision the same day as u. I'm a little scared of losing too much (I now weigh 154, goal is 130-135 - I'm 5'5"). My dr told me that our bodies are smart and will stop losing when i's at a good weight, not necessarily "my" goal. I hope thats true. I was hoping to be at goal when I leave for my 8 day Southern Carribean cruise in Oct. Can I lose 20 lbs in 9 weeks? Not sure but I should be fairly close if not at goal.

I wish u the best! We should talk afterwards about our recovery. My band was easy peasy compared to my sleeve (had a rough recovery). Not sure what this recovery will b like. Good luck on the 9th! See ya on the other side!