Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone on here been a “low” BMI OF 30?

Im reaching out for someone who has had a starting BMI of 30 or close too that. Yes I have had a higher BMI and also much lower. Am I going to be treated badly at hospital for not being morbidly obese? Going to mexico in August for the sleeve. With Dr. Ponce at INT. Super nervous and undecided actually. What was it like being on the low end doing this surgery? Happy about it? What can I expect i weight lose? Ive lost 70lbs on my own before. But have always gained it back. This time I’ve gained 40lbs back and still creeping up. I want to get this done because Im so damn tired of it controlling my health and happiness! Would love someone to talk to and hear others opinions.

Thanks

I would be such a happy little clam reaching your starting weight lol! But I have some inches on you too and I'm not dainty. I have to admit, when I first started going to pre op support groups I kept running into people who seemed so little to me and yet here there were trying to do this crazy scary thing! I didn't know if I should be impressed with their bravery or annoyed with them giving up already! Having said this incredibly insulting thing, I will now say that I understand your decision to have surgery. It's just as valid as mine ever was. Your struggle and frustration is as real and horrible as mine is and you and I have the same goal in the end. To be healthy and to be able to "stay" healthy. You are the one who has to live with yourself and you know better than anyone how deeply this hurts your life. If you are on the path to surgery than you have already dealt with more than you can stand. Weather you have 300 lbs or 50 lbs to lose no one should ever tell you what you should or should not continue to live with. I know you wanted feedback from people like you, but. We're not so very different after all,are we :). I support you! I support you reaching for happiness!

On 07/23/2018 at 15:05, Mtgirl said:

Im reaching out for someone who has had a starting BMI of 30 or close too that. Yes I have had a higher BMI and also much lower. Am I going to be treated badly at hospital for not being morbidly obese? Going to Mexico in August for the sleeve. With Dr. Ponce at INT. Super nervous and undecided actually. What was it like being on the low end doing this surgery? Happy about it? What can I expect i weight lose? Ive lost 70lbs on my own before. But have always gained it back. This time I’ve gained 40lbs back and still creeping up. I want to get this done because Im so damn tired of it controlling my health and happiness! Would love someone to talk to and hear others opinions.

Thanks

I think you’re looking for me! 😀
I had my lap band revision in May. My BMI was 30. No one understood why, if I could lose 30-40 pounds in a couple of months anytime I wanted to, I’d ever need to have a sleeve after I got my broken band removed. I didn’t bother explaining it was because it was terrified my life would continue to be me losing 30 pounds, gaining 40, losing 50, gaining 55, losing...gaining...you know the drill.
My band was bad for over a decade so the gaining/losing game was all me. The wear and tear...it was enough.
If you are young and you think this is for you, do it while your BMI is low and your skin can bounce back. I’m 53 and my skin has had it with me. I was once over a hundred pounds heavier than I am now and it shows on my inner thighs and on my arms.
If you’re not so young and it’s what your heart wants...go for it. The heck with everything else!
I was treated wonderfully. The surgery was simple for me. No pain. I was right on my feet. I didn’t require help for much. They treated me like gold and one of the overnight staff cut a star out of gold felt and taped it to my gown for being so laid back and independent on a night when 1/3 of staff called out of work! (So I sure wasn’t discriminated against because of my smaller size!)
You can ask me anything along you surgery path. I’m an open book. 🙂😉

I am at the lower end now. I too am getting a revision from the band to the sleeve. I am tired of the up and down both physically and mentally. I do not want to gain the weight I have lost back. I also don't want to continue with the yo yo dieting. I understand you completely; before I got the band I was up and down 40 pounds. I am not sure how quickly we will loose due to the lower BMI, I just know I am ready. I wish you well; my surgery is August 17, 2018.

19 hours ago, Mtgirl said:

Im reaching out for someone who has had a starting BMI of 30 or close too that. Yes I have had a higher BMI and also much lower. Am I going to be treated badly at hospital for not being morbidly obese? Going to Mexico in August for the sleeve. With Dr. Ponce at INT. Super nervous and undecided actually. What was it like being on the low end doing this surgery? Happy about it? What can I expect i weight lose? Ive lost 70lbs on my own before. But have always gained it back. This time I’ve gained 40lbs back and still creeping up. I want to get this done because Im so damn tired of it controlling my health and happiness! Would love someone to talk to and hear others opinions.

Thanks

There are quite a bit of people on here with lower BMI's I started at a 32 and i was so nervous for the same reason. I really though i'm gonna be judged and told i'm just being vain, especially because half of my family felt this was an unnecessary procedure while the other half was supportive.

However from the time i got picked up for my surgery, meeting with the other sleevers, being at the hospital not once was i made to feel like i was wrong for choosing to move forward. Everyone was super nice and although i was told i was small by one of the other sleevers they never made it sound like they were judging. The best part was when My Dr. told me he could tell I was going to be petite a year from now! I laughed and told him petite and me have never gone in the same sentence. I had my surgery for the same reason your having yours. I've been a yoyo dieter my whole life losing 20-40lbs then gaining 30-50lbs back. I just wanted the weight gone and to stay gone.

You got this, don't second guess your self based off of what others will think.... people will always have something to say about your choices. You have to do what is best for you and if you believe its to move forward then that means its the right choice.

I had my surgery in Piedras Negras in MX with Dr. Alvarez

Stats:

Female 5'6.5

HW:202

SW:197

CW:180

GW:125-135

I was a 33 BMI I think. I didn’t think about what anyone else’s opinion was. I was 27 and only gaining more. I decided to take control of my diet so I could live my best life. I didn’t feel judged at all by my surgeon office/staff—in fact, my surgeon said I was an ideal patient due to my age and lack of major comorbidities. I also wanted surgery to prevent those too!

21 hours ago, BurBur said:

I would be such a happy little clam reaching your starting weight lol! But I have some inches on you too and I'm not dainty. I have to admit, when I first started going to pre op support groups I kept running into people who seemed so little to me and yet here there were trying to do this crazy scary thing! I didn't know if I should be impressed with their bravery or annoyed with them giving up already! Having said this incredibly insulting thing, I will now say that I understand your decision to have surgery. It's just as valid as mine ever was. Your struggle and frustration is as real and horrible as mine is and you and I have the same goal in the end. To be healthy and to be able to "stay" healthy. You are the one who has to live with yourself and you know better than anyone how deeply this hurts your life. If you are on the path to surgery than you have already dealt with more than you can stand. Weather you have 300 lbs or 50 lbs to lose no one should ever tell you what you should or should not continue to live with. I know you wanted feedback from people like you, but. We're not so very different after all,are we :). I support you! I support you reaching for happiness!

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply and be so supportive! No we really arent so different are we!! ☺️

Thanks everyone for your comments!! Really means a lot to me. Im not telling anyone besides my husband. So I have no one to talk to about this stuff. Im concerned with getting hypoglycemia after surgery. I have it now and it seems like it would get much worse if I can’t eat? Another question Ive heard people don’t tolerate chocolate after surgery? Would that mean chocolate Protein Shakes as well? What about working out down the road like running. Will I get dehydration because Easier because I cant drink as much?

23 minutes ago, Mtgirl said:

Thanks everyone for your comments!! Really means a lot to me. Im not telling anyone besides my husband. So I have no one to talk to about this stuff. Im concerned with getting hypoglycemia after surgery. I have it now and it seems like it would get much worse if I can’t eat? Another question Ive heard people don’t tolerate chocolate after surgery? Would that mean chocolate Protein Shakes as well? What about working out down the road like running. Will I get dehydration because Easier because I cant drink as much?

If your looking for people to talk to me through this journey then you came to the right place! I told my family and my two bffs but it’s still nice to have a group of people that are planning on going through, currently going through, or have gone through the same stuff. Now with that being said, the more you read people’s post the more you realize everyone’s experience is different. For instance I see a lot of people who had surgery the same month as me have a hard time drinking Water or find it hard to tolerate. I have been super lucky in the sense that the taste of water didn’t change for me. I still love it and I can drink up to 4 big gulps at a time and only have to wait about two minutes in between taking another drink..... so I think on the hydration side it will be easier for someone like me than for someone who has a hard time tolerating water. About the hyperglycemia I would definitely ask your dr. Because that could be a factor in what type of surgery is best for you.

I had a million questions just like you and like a lot of people going through this your not alone. My dr. Has a YouTube channel where he answeres tons of questions for normal concerns that sleevers have. I definitely recommend you check it out I watch so many of his YouTube episodes that by the time I went in for surgery I felt super at ease as to what I may or may not expect. You can look him up on you tube under “Ask Dr. A Show” his name is Dr. Alvarez with Endobariatrics. His Q&A’s are awesome. Hope they help!