Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

more post-op pain than i expected

On 7/11/2018 at 10:45 PM, sammi123 said:

I was in so much more pain than i ever expected! I woke up from surgery feeling as though someone took a steak knife to my stomach! I just remember moaning and groaning so loud. I was so sick and needed to throw up but there was nothing there to throw up.

YES! I had the exact same experience. Before I even realized that I was out of surgery, all I felt was burning pain. I was also a groaning and crying mess!!

I'm now post-op day 4 and it's a LITTLE better. I still need help getting up and down, but it's slightly easier. I'm also walking more and relying more on Tylenol than the big pain meds. I guess I'm just surprised by how much post-op pain there's been, but it's reassuring to know that others have felt this way and have gotten through it!!!

I'm also doing better with "eating" more. I was having trouble getting in my 3 Protein Shakes a day, but today I actually woke up feeling hungry. I hope that taking in more Protein will help with the healing.

thank you all for your kind and thoughtful responses! I appreciate it, and it gives me hope!

Hmmm LizJones I had never heard the pain and soreness described as BURNING, well you live and learn! I remember if it happens to me "Oh Liz said it MIGHT be like this, I'm still okay!" and I'll feel a sense of relief. Thank You!😛🏣🌈

Mine was the same. I read so many stories on here about people who were up within hours and taking multiple laps around their surgery wards and feeling fine. I was taking my pain meds every 4 hours on the dot and couldn't lay down because the pain was so awful trying to sit up again. Around day 4 things really started improving and within a week I was barely touching my meds. I hope you're feeling better by now!

Edited by whitneythegreat

I had the sleeve on Tuesday. I didn’t expect to be in as much pain as I was. The first night after the surgery was horrendous, iv pain meds weren’t even helping. Last night I began to lay on my right side without my stomach feeling like it was on fire. It’s been a struggle to get Protein Shakes down, but not having issues with the Water. Coughing is the worst feeling ever! But I’ve been spending my time looking for healthy recipes for the remaining stages of post op and for healthy living.

hi-
i had the gastric sleeve on monday and was discharged yesterday (tuesday) afternoon. i think i was so focused on getting approved for surgery and overcoming my nerves to make it through it, that i didn't give a ton of thought regarding the post-op. i figured i'd feel tired and sore, but not like this. it's now day 3, the pain is excruciating when i get in/our of bed.
last night i discovered that a reclining chair in our office is easier to get in/out of so i've been spending most of my time here. i'm still incredibly sore/in pain, but am staying on top of taking my liquid tylenol every 6 hours and pain meds every 4 (as needed). i've also started taking my Vitamins. i'm doing pretty well with my Water intake. i'm struggling with the Protein Shakes but i'm really working on it, because i'm hoping the Protein will help my body heal.
has anyone experienced more post-op pain than they expected? if so, when did this stage pass for you?
thank you!
liz
I was in A LOT of pain, I ignored all of the comments that said it wasn't that bad , or I was hiking the next day. I knew that would not be me. I knew I was in for it. It was after all major surgery.

VSG2017 HW 249 SW 238 CW 169

thanks everyone! it's now been a week and it's definitely better. not great, but better. i still can't lay on my side (ahhhh!!!) and i still have some gas-related pain in my left shoulder but it's better. i'm really, really, really looking forward to putting this recovery stage behind me. i keep trying to tell myself that it's only been a week, but it's definitely hard.

thanks everyone! it's now been a week and it's definitely better. not great, but better. i still can't lay on my side (ahhhh!!!) and i still have some gas-related pain in my left shoulder but it's better. i'm really, really, really looking forward to putting this recovery stage behind me. i keep trying to tell myself that it's only been a week, but it's definitely hard.
I'm just coming up to week two and am off the pain killers. Hang in there, it gets better

Sent from my SM-N950F using BariatricPal mobile app

Get up, keep moving, try to resume some light daily chores. I know moving around sounds like the last thing you want to do, but honestly I felt like it helped my recovery so much. 2 days on pain meds and that was it

Yes! I had way more pain than expected. Had to stay in the hospital an extra day. Took pain meds about 1 week. Felt well enough to go back to work by week 2, but I was still weak and took it easy. I’m two years post-op.

Keep on taking care of our little God-Bahy- you Are a success and 70,iwill make a wonderful Mommy.😝👶

On 07/17/2018 at 05:44, Frustr8 said:

Keep on taking care of our little God-Bahy- you Are a success and 70,iwill make a wonderful Mommy.😝👶
I am taking great care of this sweet baby. She is measuring two weeks ahead...so she may come a tad early🤗....still managing and tracking my eating on MFP. Only back up about 14-15 lbs since pregnancy and I’m 8.5 months. I’ll be grateful and do my best to stay on track and get rid of excess weight ASAP!!! 🙏🏽

Protein will help. I order a reclining chair from a local medical supply shop for a month ($120) and it really helped, especially when trying to get a good night’s sleep.< /div>
Great idea, I'm going to look into that. Getting up and down from my bed won't be easy.

Sent from my SM-N920T using BariatricPal mobile app