Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question to those who suffer from SERIOUS back pain... What do you do pre-op for workouts?

So obviously I have a bad back. Ive been out of work for 3 plus years because of it. I am/was a flooring contractor and because of all the heavy lifting and tearing up of old floors etc. it took a toll on my back. Not to mention as I got older the weight just packed on and as my back slowed me down the weight gain sped up. Along with a bad back and hopefully because of my weight I suffer from sciatica on both legs from hip to knees. I have newly acquired pain ( last year or so) in my hips knees and ankles. I can't walk more than a few feet without having major pain, standing up without leaning or holding the captian morgan pose is nearly impossible. I have weights and a stationary bike but have only used the bike a few times due to my knees and ankles being in pain. I have a strong feeling I could work through that pain if I could just get motivated.

Regardless if you are a fellow back pain sufferer or not what can any of you recommend I do. I know there are tons of stretches for the back pain/sciatica but again lack the motivation. I know fitness plays a major roll in recovery and maintenance and I just don't want my back to hold me back. I am really hoping after surgery the pain will decrease to a point that I can at least do something.

Thanx in advance for any advice!!!!

The more weight you lose the better your pain will get.

You should get motivated to do the stretches, especially if they were provided by a physical therapist.

A recumbent bike may suit you. Water aerobics, or just walking in the pool could help you for exercise and be easier on your joints if this is an option.

Good luck!

I am a fellow chronic back pain sufferer. Pre op I used resistance bands. Now that I am post op, I joined my local Y for Water aerobics and to use various gym equipment as I progress.

Hang in there and good luck to you.

Thank you @KimTriesRNY and @Losingit2018 for the advice. I do have bands I could steal from my wife and use. Also the pool is an excellent idea. Guess I'll be spending more time with my parents.

21 hours ago, J San said:

So obviously I have a bad back. Ive been out of work for 3 plus years because of it. I am/was a flooring contractor and because of all the heavy lifting and tearing up of old floors etc. it took a toll on my back. Not to mention as I got older the weight just packed on and as my back slowed me down the weight gain sped up. Along with a bad back and hopefully because of my weight I suffer from sciatica on both legs from hip to knees. I have newly acquired pain ( last year or so) in my hips knees and ankles. I can't walk more than a few feet without having major pain, standing up without leaning or holding the captian morgan pose is nearly impossible. I have weights and a stationary bike but have only used the bike a few times due to my knees and ankles being in pain. I have a strong feeling I could work through that pain if I could just get motivated.

Regardless if you are a fellow back pain sufferer or not what can any of you recommend I do. I know there are tons of stretches for the back pain/sciatica but again lack the motivation. I know fitness plays a major roll in recovery and maintenance and I just don't want my back to hold me back. I am really hoping after surgery the pain will decrease to a point that I can at least do something.

Thanx in advance for any advice!!!!

I did Water walking and water aerobics.

This is stating the obvious I think, but I would recommend that you identify what you can or should be doing with a doctor and good physical therapist.

I am 51 and a lot of various aches, spasms, pains and mobility issues had gradually been piling on and truthfully it was so gradual I didn't really notice that I ached/hurt/spasmed/cramped all the time.

This is different from what you describe which sounds more acute than what I dealt with.

Loosing the weight will probably help. But you do also need to get a program to heal and strengthen your body.

I have arthritis in both my knees - not severe and recurring Achilles tendonitis (which I am almost certain is from a treatment with Levaquin after a compression injury in my right leg - but that's another story).

I have been at work strengthening the muscles around those joints as well as stretching and most days now there is no pain or the pain is so mild as to be barely noticeable. A year ago the tendonitis was so bad there were days I could barely tolerate walking (no fun for a new Yorker). I could not do lunges without activating the knee pain. Now the only thing I avoid are high impact (jumping, jogging, etc.)

You don't have to feel motivated to follow a plan from your physical therapist. You just have to do it.

I had an ah-ha moment about this a couple of months ago. Sugar was starting to creep into my diet. When I get off the subway to go to work it's like running a gauntlet of temptation. The chocolate chip Cookies at Subway (warm and gooey!). The 3 donut carts between the subway station and my office. The hot nut cart with honey roasted peanuts. The Aunt Annie's buttery warm pretzels. And I started buying and eating stuff. And then I felt bad or justified it (at least my calories are in line!!!!) and then I would try to handle my motivation or resistance to temptation.

Do you know what? I only had to do one thing.

I just had to keep walking.

So that's how I deal with it now. I just keep walking.

Same thing with exercise. How do I go to the gym at 6:30 AM after getting home from work at 11:30 PM?

I get my ass out of bed.

I put on my clothes. Brush my teeth. Then I wash my face. Then I lace up my sneakers.

Then I start walking.

It's that simple.

@AshAsh1 Went to visit my mom and pop with my youngest son on Sunday and did some walking laps and some under Water arm workout type.... things. Felt great and no pain, perfect.

@Kat410 Thanks for your advice. I know that Manhattan struggle. Spent almost 15 years working in the boroughs and almost always drove through the city to either get there or get home. Never feel like eating it until you smell it from one of the carts and it's almost always sooooooo good. When I 1st went to my PCP about my back pain she sent for PT and instead of sending me for any tests xray/MRI or whatever they just decided to wing and try different **** every time I went and ask how I felt after the last visit. Some of the things felt ok while there but I was almost always in more pain after. I went for 3 weeks/3 days a week and stopped. I know they are not all the same but I have very little faith in PT. I'll figure something out eventually.

Swim baby swim. Water therapy supports,achy joints and the warmth of the water relaxes achy backs.

9 hours ago, J San said:

@AshAsh1 Went to visit my mom and pop with my youngest son on Sunday and did some walking laps and some under Water arm workout type.... things. Felt great and no pain, perfect.

Glad to hear! I know the pool saved me from further pain and frustration when my back got really bad. I have an anular tear on my L4/L5, and the doctor wouldn't repair due to my weight. So I've been living with chronic back pain for the last 3 years. I had originally hurt it in college, as a Rugby player, but it finally got severe a few years ago. I also use CBD oil for pain management... But I did 100% of my physical therapy in the Water. The *best* thing you can do is to get ankle weights and a noodle. Use the noodle to hold you up in the deep end of the pool (make sure you can't touch) and it helps decompress your spine.

Would have to get like 5 noodles plus a few more after I added weight. LOL

1 minute ago, J San said:

Would have to get like 5 noodles plus a few more after I added weight. LOL

Its worth it though, feels amazing!