Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

They told me prior to surgery that all they had was dissolvable morphine tabs because there is a national shortage of IV morphine right now. When I woke up they immediately gave me the first dissolvable tab. I had one more shortly after that. I also had a tube inserted that delivered anesthetic to my abdominal area for a couple of days. I spent 6 hours in the recovery and then went to a hotel close by for the night. They gave me Tylenol with codeine. I used that the first 2 days, and now just at bedtime. I was only in recovery for 6 hours, but I had a nurse with me or right near me the whole time. They were awesome at cheering me on when I was trying to walk off the gas. I think it is cruel that some people didn’t get any pain meds and or had to wait to get some help beyond the prescribed time. There is a big difference between waiting 5 minutes because IV stuff isn’t available and hoping someone might bring you some relief if they get around to you and are in the mood to be helpful. Ashash1 is a survivor!

I think she really deserves a medal, well we all do, but hers should be the size of the buckle on those wrestlers championship belts. In this corner,in extreme pain, our once and future champion MS ASH ASH the GREAT!

When I was sleeved and had horrible nausea so I opted out of narcotic pain med and was given a liquid Tylenol, this week with the DS it was Tylenol ES and Toradol, until I ran into complications and was given stronger meds..

On 06/15/2018 at 09:59, Bryn910 said:

I wasn’t on a morphine pump but I had morphing injected into my IV every 4 hours. After that I had liquid Tylenol with codeine.

My pain level never went above 7/10 and it was fine

Pretty much the same here. In the clinic it was all via IV and when it hit a 7/8 they’d give me a little more. At home I had liquid oxy and only used that for like three days post op.

I had liquid Tylenol with codeine. I also received one shot of Demerol in my IV. I had very little surgical pain. I did however have severe back pain due to surgical positioning (and an old injury I never thought to mention)! I’m allergic to morphine. It was never an option. I got a script for one bottle of the Tylenol with codeine upon release the next day. (I used half the bottle to manage back pain the first few days I was home.). Revision from Band to sleeve.

I received no pain medicine until I was settled in my room, and checked out by the nurse. When I woke up, I asked,"what type of pain meds am I on? I don't feel any pain", and the nurse said "none". In the room, I got morphine pump, and IV tylenol. I used the morphine only when the nurse put stuff in my IV. I am not sure which med was so brutal, but it had me in tears every time the nurse put it in the Iv. I rated my post op pain at a 2, but I could have said 0 or 1. Everything was discontinued the next morning, and they had me take a Norco on the way out the door. All my Dr's told me up for t what their practice is, so I wasn't surprised.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

In the hospital they gave me OxyContin and something in my IV and Tylenol. They didn’t want to give it... they made me feel like an addict. But I insisted. They sent me home with Oxy and Tylenol Rx and I crush those pills. I take them as I need them, which is very often.

Everyone’s surgery is different and everyone’s pain tolerance is different. Personally I don’t like how pain meds make me feel so I don’t tend to use them

I had Dilaudid via IV when in the hospital. And after they removed the IV, but they were taking forever to discharge me I had an oral dose of liquid Norco. I went home with Tylenol with Coedine.

All of these narcotics cause a wave of extreme nausea, whether via IV or orally. So I tried to take them as infrequently as possible.

After I woke up from recovery I had IV Dilaudid with a PCA (pain pump) as I was in tremendous pain post-op. After 24 hours of constant sleeping and almost no memory of my surroundings - the nurses had to remind me about my PCA when I would tell them I was in pain lol - I asked to switch to another kind of pain med so I could stay awake and they gave me liquid oxycodone which I tolerated much better and I was able to start making progress at that point. I had bad pain on the left side of my abdomen for about 9-10 days post-op so I took small doses of the liquid pain meds a couple times per day (usually in late afternoon and right before bed) that whole time. I had no pain pills at all, my prescriptions were only for liquids. No morphine or Tylenol in hospital as indicated by others...

I mean there is no one protocol for all weight loss surgeries, it's going to depend on the hospital, the surgeon's orders, the pain level of the patient... so it's hard to say if your friend has a wonky regimen going on. I will say that on the evening of post-op day 3 I gave up crushing pills and just started swallowing them. I had no issues with it so that's not too, too surprising to me that she would have pills.

On 6/15/2018 at 9:24 PM, Creekimp13 said:

Ondansetron, the patch behind the ear, Scopolamine, and Emend.

Emend is Aprepitant, it's a chemotherapy side-effect drug that they are just starting to use for bariatric surgery. So far results have been stellar.

It's typically not covered by insurance, and is about a hundred dollars for the one pill you need...but if you are offered this drug, it is worth every penny.

Both of the other two ladies roaming the halls with me opted to buy the Emend. A couple of others who were not doing as well elected not to get it. (it was our choice).

Do not let the price tag put you off. I never had any nausea. Nada. None. Never gagged, never vomited, never had tummy pain. Was kinda shocking. In the most wonderful way.

Thanks!! I appreciate your insight!

I had fentanyl for two days through the IV and button system. Plus panadol. Turns out I’m mildly allergic to opioids and ended up with a terrible itch. After that they gave me some endos on day three but nothing to take home. For me the best part of the pain management was being able to sleep in strange surroundings. I think the key is to be clear and persistent about how you’re feeling and go from there.

I’m a big believer in the Enmend too! I’ve always hated the nausea after surgery and with pain killers more than the pain and It was amazing! Had it for my plastics as well.

For pain Tylenol IV is pretty great too. Oral Tylenol has never done a thing for me but IV is a whole different story! They don’t like to use it bc for some reason it’s way more expensive than narcotics! I did have norco to take home but didn’t like it. I also had something else IV when I wanted it but I never did.

On 16/06/2018 at 12:05 PM, Pisces2j7 said:

I was given Oxycodone when coming from the operating room and then Percocet via IV for the first day. The IV pain meds don’t last as long as the oral meds. The IV ones do work faster though. My doctor had IV and oral ordered and it was my choice. You can always ask for more or something different if you’re in a lot of pain. Most doctors are accommodating.

This was my experience as well. I’d take both so I felt no pain. Four days out I was sent home with a prescription for Oxycodone and told to take a liquid tynanol if needed. I didn’t need anything once I was home, I had no pain.

My RNY bypass was June 14 (3 days ago). I was given narcotic painkillers immediately after surgery,, but afterward, I was given 500 mg of Tylenol every 6 hours and I’m absolutely pain free.