Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 hours ago, Ppdunn22192 said:

My RNY bypass was June 14 (3 days ago). I was given narcotic painkillers immediately after surgery,, but afterward, I was given 500 mg of Tylenol every 6 hours and I’m absolutely pain free.

This is great to hear. Good that uou haven’t had pain!! How’s everything else going since surgery?

Honestly, I feel absolutely normal. I’m following an eating plan my surgeon’s office gave me and it’s going great.

That’s fantastic!! Good job!

2 hours ago, Ppdunn22192 said:

Honestly, I feel absolutely normal. I’m following an eating plan my surgeon’s office gave me and it’s going great.

Wow, that’s great to hear. What eating plan do they have you on? Pain free after 3 days pretty impressive.

I was on a Tylenol drip that wasn't working for several hours and a pca with morphine I could hit every 10 min. I also got 2 doses of liquid Norco. I was sent home with giant Tylenol 3 pills. I took one and almost threw it up so I called the surgeon's office to see if there were other options and his nurse called in liquid Tylenol 3 for me. I also have Zofran that is dissolvable.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Well I spent a total of 31/2 days in hospital. They started me out on Iv pain medication but I would stop breathing kinda and my bp would tank out. So they gave me 2 narco pills. My bp was better but still to low. And my breathing was not going good. So they decrease it to one norco pill. Seemed to work well. They had to give me 2 bags of nutrition iv fluids to bring my bp up.

My kidney was not to happy but today the labs were good so got to come home.

Yeah I got sublingual zafron, Pepcid and norco

On 06/15/2018 at 12:59, Oceanlove said:

They did not give her a morphine injection or pump. They had her taking pills afterwards. They gave her a injection of pain meds in the recovery room but afterwards it was straight to pills.

I would think within the first 24 hours swallowing anything would be painful

I had one injection in my IV directly after surgery. Then I took pills in the hospital for the 12 hours I was there. I was sent home with no pills. Took Tylenol for about 2-3 days and then didn’t need anything. There was basically no pain for me other than gas pain which meds do nothing for.

I was given IV Tylenol first and was in pain afterwards, so they gave me IV painkillers until midnight that first day (I think it was Dilaudid). After midnight, I took the Dilaudid pills and Tylenol until discharge. After discharge, I was given a script for 30 Dilaudid pills.

I’m actually on a pain contract with a pain management doctor for a bulging disc and arthritis in my back - so technically, I’m not supposed to get prescriptions for pain meds from other doctors. However, the pain med I regularly take causes Constipation and because I’m not an abusive patient (I go for urine tests every few months), my nurse practitioner who oversees my script had no issues with my surgeon giving me a prescription. It did require a letter from her to my surgeon’s office but it wasn’t a problem. My daily pain meds don’t really do much good anymore anyway so we’re going to talk about discontinuing them at my next appt at the pain doctor. I did end up taking my full prescription for the Dilaudid because i was having some trouble sleeping at night due to pain and it also helped my back - I had issues with constipation on the Dilaudid as it was, and didn’t want to go back to my Tramadol and make it worse.

For about four or five days now, I’ve gone back to my Tramadol (one pill two or three times a day - usually 2) and Tylenol. For some reason, my incisions still hurt but it’s not bad like it was right after surgery.

I know there’s an issue with opioids but it drives me nuts that it’s causing people in actual pain to suffer. I also hate that those of us who actually take them for legitimate issues and don’t abuse them are looked at as part of the problem when we’re just trying to get through each day without being in constant pain.