Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The one thing you could not live without post surgery

So as my day is coming closer and closer I’m running around trying to decide what I need to get to be ready for that amazing day.

What are some of the things that looking back after your surgery that you couldn’t live without post surgery in the hospital and right afterwards.

I am hoping that this will help all who have not had the surgery be able to learn from those who have had it.

What made post surgery easier for you ? What was your can’t live without items?

Edited by Oceanlove

For directly after surgery and during the recovery stay, initially it was the lip balm and dry mouth spray, and my sweatpants. I was thankful I brought a pillow from home. My cell phone and charger. Everything else, I really didn't use. Never read my book, didn't bother with anything else other than my cell and the lip balm and dry mouth spray.

At home, my Ninja food processor (picked up the 2 horsepower version), I use it several times a day *STILL* more than 2 months out of surgery.

Vitamin/pill box

phone/watch for timer (pill taking & drinking)

crystal light; I keep it everywhere. Mixes well with my Premier Protein clear & gives it a better taste

my hydro flask bottles; they have the perfect sip lid (no straws allowed for me)

Plastic condiment containers; I am on soft food and only allowed 1-2 ounces of food at a time and these are super handy and cheap on Amazon or Walmart.

Digital scale!! Measuring food is so vital. I purchased 2 (one for home, one for work). Going to order another that will fit in my purse for when I am further out and going out to eat

Ditto what Matt said.

I love my Sip by S'Well.

https://www.amazon.com/Swell-Vacuum-Insulated-Stainless-Bottle/dp/B01L6MX7GO/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528375623&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=sips+by+swell&dpPl=1&dpID=31tzUHtlacL&ref=plSrch

It fits in nearly every cup holder and the narrow neck is easy to grab and take small sips. It goes everywhere with me.

I didn't have anything too specific. Comfy clothes, a drink nearby all of the time and if you have it, support at home.

I bought all the tools, read everything I could, & thought I was prepared for everything. I wasn't.

You know what surprised me? How difficult it would be to get in enough Water. My advice? Put your credit card away. Turn from focusing on the external to focusing on the internal. Prepare yourself to work on getting in enough water after surgery.

Good luck. You are not alone.

Support at home to be sure! All the gadgets are nice but they don't replace a live person picking up the slack and helping you heal.

Oh and Oceanlove if you don't have one, and are looking for a scale, drop the extra coin and save yourself some sanity and get a scale that tracks body fat % as well. Trust me, this extra metric has really quelled my frustrations during stalls... seeing the weight not move sucks, knowing body fat % is dropping even though the weight isn't as really saved me from going crazy!

19 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

Oh and Oceanlove if you don't have one, and are looking for a scale, drop the extra coin and save yourself some sanity and get a scale that tracks body fat % as well. Trust me, this extra metric has really quelled my frustrations during stalls... seeing the weight not move sucks, knowing body fat % is dropping even though the weight isn't as really saved me from going crazy!

Those things are notoriously inaccurate. There are so many variables that the manufacturers admit will skew the results (how hydrated you are, amount of electrolytes in your body, when you last ate, when you last exercised, are your feet highly calloused, are your feet dirty...)

If you are only using those scales at the same time every time you use it and you are fresh from the shower clean AND you are only measuring the change in the readings day over day or week over week as a data comparison and not a true body fat percentage, then they are worth having.

1 minute ago, BigViffer said:

Those things are notoriously inaccurate. There are so many variables that the manufacturers admit will skew the results (how hydrated you are, amount of electrolytes in your body, when you last ate, when you last exercised, are your feet highly calloused, are your feet dirty...)

If you are only using those scales at the same time every time you use it and you are fresh from the shower clean AND you are only measuring the change in the readings day over day or week over week as a data comparison and not a true body fat percentage, then they are worth having.

Inaccurate beats the pants off of not having it at all! If the number decreases every day... does it matter if it's accurate, no, it's still decreasing thus fat loss is occurring.

I hit the scale at the same time every day, doing the same things before I get on the scale, every day. Weight measurements are equally as inaccurate... but that doesn't stop anyone from using them. Having another metric to use in my day to day, is SO MUCH better than going with JUST weight. Nowhere did anyone state that they are medically accurate etc... only that it's a very helpful item to have.

So, I stick to my recommendation to have extra metrics to view and track to help avoid getting frustrated because the weight metric might not decrease. More info is always better than less when tracking trends.

I couldn't have lived without the clip on fan they brought me to attach to the bed rail. I was so hot for the couple days after surgery. I would have laid in bed naked if I could have. So a personal fan, not a bad option. Other than that, extra long charger, lip balm, dry mouth spray, pillow from home, very comfy and loose fitting pants, soft bra (if your brave enough to wear one home), slippers to walk the halls, and I brought my robe for when the IV came out.

16 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

More info is always better than less when tracking trends.

Which is why I said:

23 minutes ago, BigViffer said:

I remember the need to see these things in the beginning, and I don't begrudge anyone wanting extraneous data. I don't agree that inaccurate data is better than no data though. But to each their own.

Don’t stock up too much on food items for the liquid, purreed and soft stages. You just aren’t going to be eating that much. I gave so much food away to the food bank!

There was a few! I couldnt do crystal light. It would give me horrible reflux. I went to 4c, they are splenda instead.
A long charger, yes
Bone Broth really helped if i had the yukkies (nauseous) one of my friends made me a ton! I still have a few in my freezer! Ya never know!
I agree with the drinking. It is very hard at first. I did sf propel and powerwater

I love all of these ideas and suggestions thank you all. I’m positive all of the ideas will help me and our pre op buddies out.

I’m thinking of taking my body pillow personally but idk might be to bulky.

I love the sip cup I’m ordering it tonight hope it gets here by Wednesday.

I cant find the gas-X strips Amazon is out not sure if they will get them back.

Has anyone used the melt away ones?