Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gonzalez Support Thread

I to went to Dr. Gonzalez, I was in the same room as

OMLAGIRL. I speak Spanish, so that helped. But my DH was along and he speaks very little spanish and he got by.

I had a very pleasent experience, and have gone back for a couple of fills. They alway see me without any problem.

They say to be there at 11:00am Dr. is there waiting to give me a fill.

Very, Very nice people

Thanks OMLAGIRL AND CSS95 for sharing your nice experience with all of us,I'm sure this will help many of us I'ts also nice to have someone there that you can call if you feel uncomfortable or even if you have a silly question, I also speak a little spanish not fluent, but I think I can manage :eyebrows:,

Jessiel55 - Cingular is my cell phone carrier. I was able to use my cell phone while I was in my hotel room and in the clinic's room that I stayed in. When I was down in the hotel lobby or lobby of building my phone would not work. I think because the buildings are high, my hotel room was the 25th floor, I was able to get a signal.

I didn't realize it but when I go to the docs they put this thing on my finger. It measures my oxygen. And of course the anesthesiologist would have to do that during the surgery.

I had my lap band placed in Mexico by Dr. G on 07/21/2007. I am always busy and must admit that I don't come on this site as mush since after my surgery. As a result I don't post often, but I felt that I needed to give a shout out to sing Dr. G and his staff praises. I have been in the health care field for over 10 years(I have four nursing degrees) so having the best was first and foremost. I did a lot of research and then I made my choice and for me it was the very best that I could get for myself. I was treated like a family member by Dr. G, Dr. V and his wife Laura, and all the other staff members while at Mexico. When I was taken to my return flight home by Laura she even wanted to take me on a personal shopping trip if I was up to it, she is great. I had went a year before to another doctor in Mexico and backed out right before I was taken into surgery because I didn't feel that I was doing the right thing. This time around I didn't feel anything but peace and I knew that this was the right choice for me. I know that Dr. G and his staff made that possible, and I had a very uneventful time and my surgery went well. I stayed at the motel the night before the surgery, had surgery the following day sometime after lunch, stayed that night at the clinic, and then went home later that next afternoon. I did great and other than a little weaknesss in the first few days at home I was great. Getting used to this band has been a new and very rewarding learning experience. I have had Dr. G and his staff with me alone this journey with many calls and e-mails checking on me and offering words of encouragement. I am 17 1/2 weeks post-op and have lost 35 pounds so far. This band has final broke my love affair with food and I am having a great time. If anyone wants to talk about the band or Dr. G feel free to email me vickie6866@yahoo.com

vmills

It's great to read your story, especially from someone in your profession. My experience with Dr. G and his team is very much like yours.

Happy to hear about your success with the band. My weight loss has been slow. I have hypothyroidism and am pretty sure I need a prescription change.

I'm traveling back to Dr. G for my fills. I should get my 2ed fill on Dec 4.

Hi V, thanks for sharing your experience and congratulations on your weight loss. Four nursing degrees are impressive. I'm sure you know what you're talking about with so much experience in the medical field. Thanks for contributing to this wonderful thread with your support and offering everyone your help. I want to offer my support to any banded or soon to be banded member as well. Due to my job I'm almost always pressed for time so I'm not a very active member on this board but I have had my band for three years now and I'm sure I can help with advice on any lap band question. I do check in, not as often as I'd like to but enough to read the more relevant threads. I visit Dr. G often usually with friends or relatives and it's always the same. I've yet to see Dr. G without a smile on his face. Kiki, jimmy, jessie and everyone here I wish you the best and count on me, PM me if you have any questions and I'll do my best to help you on this great journey.

The report below came from John Hopkins health Alerts. Thought you all would be interested in it:faint:

A revealing study published in the International Journal of Obesity (online edition, June 27, 2006) highlighted 10 reasons why Americans are fat. The study explained that too much food and a lack of exercise are not the only factors contributing to obesity. They identified 10 other possibilities:

• Weight gain factor 1. Less sleep.< /strong> We’ve gone from an average of nine to seven hours of sleep a night; sleep deprivation is linked to a more robust appetite.
  • Weight gain factor 2. Pesticides and other chemicals in foods. These substances can change hormonal activity, which can boost body fat
  • Weight gain factor 3. Air conditioning and heating. We don’t sweat and shiver as much as our ancestors, so we don’t burn as many calories.
  • Weight gain factor 4. Fewer smokers Nicotine is an appetite suppressant.
  • Weight gain factor 5. Greater use of medications, such as antidepressants and diabetes drugs, which have weight gain as a potential side effect.
  • Weight gain factor 6. Population changes. There are now more older people as well as more Hispanics in the United States, and these groups have higher rates of obesity.[/font]
  • Weight gain factor 7. Older birth mothers, whose children are more prone to excess weight gain than the offspring of younger mothers.
  • Weight gain factor 8. Genetics. Obese moms may pass the trait onto their children in utero.
  • Weight gain factor 9. Higher body weight = greater fertility. Heavy people produce more offspring than thinner people.
  • Weight gain factor 10. Assortative mating. Heavy people tend to mate with each other and produce heavy children.

Hi everyone. Great to hear from you Vmills and Gigi!

You know Sunshine everyday we are hearing more and more research about obesity. I think that in time our kids and grandkids may have this serious epidemic under control, with our help. It's up to us to advocate as well for the benefits of a healthier life. Most people on this forum have had the courage, will and determination to not only advocate but be an example to others. Lets keep it up!

One of Dr. G's first questions whenever you go see him, "tell me about your exercise..." and right about there is where most of us either look away or go"..huh? well I've been thinking about it..."

Well, here's a little bit of information I read recently that will serve as consolation:

"There is a misconception that actively exercising is the only way to make a healthy difference in an otherwise sedentary lifestyle. However, Hamilton's studies found that standing and other non-exercise activities burn many calories in most adults even if they do not exercise at all."

Then it goes on to say:

"Hamilton hopes that creative strategies in homes, communities and workplaces can help solve the problem of inactivity. Some common non-exercise physical activities that people can do instead of sitting include performing household chores, shopping, typing while standing and even fidgeting while standing. Given the work of muscles necessary to hold the body's weight upright, standing can double the metabolic rate. Hamilton believes that scientists and the public have underestimated common activities because they are intermittent and do not take as much effort as a heavy workout."

I read this article and I said YEEEES! I'm sending it to Dr. G so next time I can answer "well....I stood up for x amount of time...went shopping for xxxx amount of time..."

So you read it guys and gals, lets go shopping! 123...shop.....123.....shop....123...shop!!!!!

For the entire article click here: Stand Up To Decrease Risk Of Disease

chistene yng

:) article and thanks.

I count shopping as exersize. When my back was so bad that I couldn't stand except for a few minutes, I found that I did fine if I was holding onto a shopping cart. I went to giant Wallyworld and briskly walked the store back and forth. It sure felt like a workout to me!!

Park your car farther from store to increase walking.

The report below came from John Hopkins health Alerts. Thought you all would be interested in it:faint:

A revealing study published in the International Journal of Obesity (online edition, June 27, 2006) highlighted 10 reasons why Americans are fat. The study explained that too much food and a lack of exercise are not the only factors contributing to obesity. They identified 10 other possibilities:

• Weight gain factor 1. Less sleep. We’ve gone from an average of nine to seven hours of sleep a night; sleep deprivation is linked to a more robust appetite.
  • Weight gain factor 2. Pesticides and other chemicals in foods. These substances can change hormonal activity, which can boost body fat
  • Weight gain factor 3. Air conditioning and heating. We don’t sweat and shiver as much as our ancestors, so we don’t burn as many calories.
  • Weight gain factor 4. Fewer smokers Nicotine is an appetite suppressant.
  • Weight gain factor 5. Greater use of medications, such as antidepressants and diabetes drugs, which have weight gain as a potential side effect.
  • Weight gain factor 6. Population changes. There are now more older people as well as more Hispanics in the United States, and these groups have higher rates of obesity.[/font]
  • Weight gain factor 7. Older birth mothers, whose children are more prone to excess weight gain than the offspring of younger mothers.
  • Weight gain factor 8. Genetics. Obese moms may pass the trait onto their children in utero.
  • Weight gain factor 9. Higher body weight = greater fertility. Heavy people produce more offspring than thinner people.
  • Weight gain factor 10. Assortative mating. Heavy people tend to mate with each other and produce heavy children.

Don't know about you guys but I plain just ate too much! HA!

Don't know about you guys but I plain just ate too much! HA!

LoL...like the other 99.99% of us, I'm sure.

But humor aside, stuffing our face alone does not an obese person make. My friend Libby eats like a horse and has a beautiful body, so does most of her family. Genes and what not.

So some of the factors cited by Sunshine play a huge role in our face stuffing outcome. (stuffing, get it?..in reference to the holiday..haha)

Once more Happy Thanksgiving!

I just got back last night it never crossed my mind the tons and tons of people traveling, and the crowded planes :phanvan.

I will let you know about my experience in Mexico in a couple of days when I feel better, just wanted to let you know that everything went great and I'm very exited to have had the courage to go thru this like all of you that were very supportive, for now I will concentrate on getting thru this holiday and all the wonderful food :hungry:, I guess I would have to settle with just as couple of sips of chicken broth .

HAPPY THANKSGIVING !

Onenonly,

Welcome to bandland!:clap2:

h Thanks omlagirl. I have been in a little pain. I guess the gas because its been constant and I tried the heating pads and they made it better. Ill write about my experience later for now I've stuck to the broth and Protein Water also I've been drinking the slim fast high Protein. Ive been kinda weak, how long before you get your energy back?