Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded, now what?

Thanks for the great thread guys. I haven't lost anything since one week after my surgery. I lost 32 since the pre-op diet and the week after. I am starting to feel like a failure. This really helped reading all of your posts!!

I too am still hungry all the time. :) I eat my Protein first, just like the doc said. I have removed most carbs from my diet after I could eat chicken again...lol. (Doing South Beach Diet) I cannot control that I dont have restriction, so I eat the right foods until I am full. As for losing weight, it seems that it takes ALOT of exercise for me to lose weight even while religiously sticking to the doc's plan..LOL So I am just trying to keep my spirits up until I get my fill on 11/15 (not too long now!) Thank heavens it is before my Thanksgiving trip to visit with my family because they are all very big and eat a lot of bad things as I once did. That will be the ultimate test, to resist my Grandmother's holiday cooking! Good luck everyone as we move full force into the holidays! And remember, the food is not worth as much as the looks on people's faces as you shrink before their eyes! Thanks guys for always being there!

I have had a very hard time losing weight even before surgery. I lost like 10 pounds and gained 2 pounds in the third week after surgery. My body tends to get used to a certain weight and it will try to rebound to that point. Hearing that all of you have lost so much already has been something I'm pondering but I haven't given up hope.

I just got back from a week-long cruise to the caribbean with all that entails. I was able to eat anything and everything. We went to the buffet for dinner each night instead of the fancy dinners. It was really very good. I was dreading coming home today and having a confrontation with Mr. scale. Well, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I hadn't gained any weight. I realized as I was going through the week that I was filling my plate up but eating very little of it. My husband was coaching me the entire time: "imagine what you think you would eat and cut that in half." Stuff like that. But I could really tell the difference between how much I could eat before and what I was able to eat now. Even so, I really was prepared for a weight gain. The last time I went on a cruise (April), I gained like 6 or 7 pounds.

My point is that even though I feel like I can eat anything, my portions are obviously more under control (not from me) than they were. For this I am so grateful. I get my first fill on Nov. 20th and am really hoping for a bit of restriction to kick my weight loss into gear.

Good to see you again Holly. I was worried about you. Have you seen NicNacNut?

Hi Valerie, and everyone. Nicnaknut (Bonnie) is doing fine. She had some post-op health issues that she didn't want to bring to the board, but she's doing better.

I've been struggling due to the fact that I'm comparing my progress to others, and feeling like something is "wrong" with my band. Then I found out that some doctors put a little saline in the band at surgery so those people start out the gate with some restriction, while others of us don't have that advantage. Also some people have more visceral fat around the fundus (top) of their stomach so the band just sits more snug than it does for others. I had to stop comparing myself to others who seems to be doing better in terms of appetite and weight loss. Comparing myself to others was just discouraging me. I mean I "knew better" than to compare myself to others, it's a no-brainer, but I was doing it anyway.

I think we're all feeling really anxious and hopeful at this stage. We've ALL invested so much emotionally and financially and all taken a health risk to make this happen. We want assurance that this "tool" will work okay and not all of us are finding the "tool" to be helpful at all yet. Some ARE though, and I'm so happy for those people! Some people really do already feel some restriction and they have to chew chew chew and eat slowly, ...... while others of us could wolf down a huge 12 inch submarine sandwich without blinking an eye. I would be in the latter category.

If your band is acting "worthless" right now (like mine) and you're relying on willpower to keep yourself in check..... then I think patience is in order, and that's it really. That's my situation - I have to be patient. Right now I feel like I threw $18,000 cash down the drain and I'm a weak hopeless pig who will never be healthy and fit. But that's just my mean old "baggage" brain speaking to me. I know it's not the truth, and in a month or two I will be singing a new tune!

I told myself in the beginning of this journey "Buckle up girlfriend, 'cuz you're in for a RIDE!" and boy was I right. This is one crazy experience! If your band is performing like the "tool" it was designed to already (meaning before your first fill) then count yourself really really lucky. And if your band is performing like mine - like a new tire without any air in it yet, then well........ expect a bumpy road for awhile and buckle up! The best is still yet to come.

You said it all so succinctly Holly and I am one of those that is able to eat anything also right now. Look at my weight loss ticker, you can see that I have lost only 9 pounds INCLUDING the pre-op diet. I am happy for those 9 pounds but I have a hard time not looking at others tickers without envy lol.

You do know that you are a true leader don't you? I hope you are able to use those skills in ways that are profitable and enriching for you. And when you're gone, we all feel it. So you have to share all your downs with us. Cuz I want to share the UP-times with you and I'll only know they're 'up' if I experience your 'downs' with you as well.

Thank you for sharing your insights with us. I had just woke up this morning with the knowledge that I am going back to work (I had a vacation connected to my surgical off-time) and that people are gonna have expectations (they are not educated about the band and probably expect 'bypass' results already) which of course I am not going to meet. I'm not sure I want to educate them or just be quiet and let them wonder. I lean toward the latter cuz I don't think they have the attention span it would require to explain it all to them lol. Too much work!!

Keep up the good work girl! I'm with you all the way.

Valerie :(

Holly, dont get depressed now. The same thing is happening to me, but Dr. Zapata warned me it might happen. My first fill is Nov 19 also, so I'll think of you while Im getting mine. You will feel much better after your fill. Be sure to talk to the dr about how you feel and get her thoughts on how much she is injecting and why that amount. You'll be on track after that.

:)Laura

Hi Everyone. I'm new to the board but was banded on October 29. I'm relieved to see that I am not the only one who feels like they could eat anything. I was perfectly full and happy for the first two weeks, but I am starting to want more than my allowed 4 ounces of mush. I'm eating mostly Protein adn drinking like a fish, so I was starting to think there was something wrong. It's nice to know that I'm not alone. Thanks for that. Will it get better after a fill? I'm scheduled for one on December 26th. Guess I can look forward to that as a Christmas present.

Holly- wow I can tell you really are in a rut by the "very discouraged" and not sounding too hopefull post. What day is your fill? You have been the postive encouraging leader for so long, and I can tell you are needing support now. I know you are so discouraged. I just barely started losing again the last week. I was stuck at fluctuating between a 20-25 pound loss. Now with starting a daily exercise program and being diligent on eating more Protein I am finally starting to lose again. How is the exercise? I know you are discouraged with your 20 pound loss- but in the past have you lost 20 pounds and known it was gone forever? When I get discouraged I think- normally 20 pounds would be a huge accomplishment. It is just now we are banded- our expectations are so high after all we have done and sacrificed that we look at 20 pounds as not much at all. But in the scheme of health and appearance, 20 pounds is an amazing accomplishment. For a few weeks I was getting in rut and feeling as you have been, and then I just had to shift my mindset. I had to tell myself I didn't gain this weight overnight. I made a lot of bad food choices, ate too much and unhealthy foods, I didn't exercise like I should, and I got to this point. Now I need to execise, eat more protein, less carbs, don't be snacking all the time, and start to think positively. And the change in mindset along with exercise has what finally got me over the hump as you are in, and got me on the right path. I truly believe that your thought and beliefs will bring different things to you. If you believe you will not lose weight, this band will not work, etc, than that will all be true. You can do this Holly! You need to believe that and know that is the truth. As you start to get your fills, you will feel the restriction. Just try in this time leading up to fills to focus on the exercise and following the rules of band life. Protein first, stay away from carbs as much as can, and move that wonderful beautiful body that has dropped 20 pounds of weight forever. I know you can do this! We are here for you.

:)

Carrot, I understand, your advice to Holly - thanks for the post as I am benefiting too :)

I feel discouraged because although 7kg is gone, I feel like, I have never been able to make the time or energy to exercise, and I had sort of thought I would have loads more energy, and dedication - and I don't. At this point, its now become "god, another diet".

Exercise is the biggie, I know all the positives etc, but I just can't sem to get my ass onto the treadmill. I did take the dog out one morning, (youngish dog, 8 months) and he lunged at the bit the next door neighbour, so now I feel dread evening thinking about it :cool:.

How have you *gone there in your head* to get the motivation?:help:

Don't worry when you get to a consistant level of restriction, you are going to loose and not be hungry. It will happen. I am 4 weeks post-op and yesterday I had my 2nd fill to 7cc in a AP-s lap-band. I have read that for this band it takes somewhere between 6-7cc to get to initial restriction and I think they must be correct. I lost 1 lb in the past 2 days. So I feel that with excersice, I am finally in the game. I wish each of you a good fill...soon!

Hi all, this is my first time on this site , so helpful thanks! I am currently waiting to have my Gall Bladder out next week before banding later(hopefully) as I had a stomach stapling in 1979 my surgeon not sure if I have adhesions or not so key hole might be out for me- please pray -NO adhesions !

Also worried about brain adjustment to less food****

Hi Everyone, just had my first fill yesterday. 2cc's. I really don't feel much different. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. My next appt is in 4 weeks.

Judybellyband, thanks for the info. I have the same band you do. I'm worried if I have to get 6-7cc's to feel the restriction it may take months to get there.

My dr. said something interesting yesterday. He told me I am going through my "teenage phase." That really rang true for me. I am being very rebellious with my food.

Also, at one of our support groups the nurse said sometimes it takes 2 years to lose the weight because the first year is fighting our old habits and then we finally surrender the second year. I sure hope that isn't what happens with me. I don't want to wait that long to get this weight off!

Sure do appreciate all of your input. It is so nice to know I am not alone.

I am not exactly sure what caused the mental shift for me so I could start losing again... There were a few things. For weeks I was not losing. I had lost like 14 pounds in the pre-op, but after banding was barely losing. I was getting so discouraged and feeling so frustrated like so many are posting. I was questioning if this was going to work. I was on some days thinking I shouldn't have done it (missing being able to turn to food for boredom, if mad, if celebrating, if stressed, if sad, etc.) I was second guessing the financial end of it and the big loan I am now paying off. I was thinking- this is just not working- I will be fat forever. I realized I was trying to sneak some unhealthy foods in there more than I should- my first culprit was Peanut Butter cups. So I started increasing the Protein at meals so I could last and not want to snack all the time between the meals. I get up at 4 in the morning- so I have a very long workday and don't get home until like 7 at night. So I do usually have a light yogurt for a snack in the afternoon so it will hold me over until I get home for dinner around 7 or later. I was not exercising which is one of the most important rules with the band. Finally I just had to give myself a talking too. My exercise physiologist in my banding program said that he always asks the successful banders how they did it. He said that without fail the key thing every one of them has said was, "I just decided I was going to do it." And that is what I did. I decided I was not going to live this way anymore. I paid to have this wonderful tool to assist me, and I was going to get my life back. I am not going to waste anymore time. I started exercising. I know all the execuses why we can't- I have used them all myself a million times. I decided no more excuses. The hard part is getting started and making it a habit. But once it become a habit- it is a lot easier. Because you start feeling so much better and noticing results which inspires you to keep going. Committ to yourself that you will do some sort of deliberate exercise every day. I have found exercise is really one of the biggest keys for me. Like for example the other day- I now am getting so I look forward to exercising. But the other night I had had such a busy day, I was tired, and I just wanted to sit on the couch and watch t.v. I told myself- I am going to get on the treadmill while watching t..v and atleast walk 20 minutes. I told myself- I can atleast devote 20 minutes out of my 24 hours to myself and reaching my goals. I did it and felt so happy I did afterwards. Just think of it like that- in 24 hours I am worth devoting that time to myself. I went through those weeks of feeling down and dealing with not having food to turn to anymore. I am finally started to really pay more attention to my emotions and when wanting to eat really thinking about if I am truly hungry or just wanting that emotional crutch. I have started doing other things when I know it is just my "mind" wanting to eat. I realized I was not drinking near enough Water. It is amazing when you stay hydrated how you are not so hungry all the time. I feel all of your pain and was not losing and feeling all the same emotions until I started making these changes and the scale started moving. We all have stuggled with being fat and all the negatives it brings to our life. Let's not let that waste anymore of our time. Let's lose this weight and get the life we want and deserve. Like we have all been told- our band is a 'tool." It is not a magic pill. We have to work our tool through exercise, staying away from carbs as much as possible, not drinking our calories, learning to deal with our emotions in other ways than food, etc. Work the tool and it will take us to our goal!

Hi all,

I am in the same boat as everyone else. I had surgery on 10/9 and have only lost about 10 pounds. I can eat as much if not more than before the surgery. I had my first fill yesterday. I got 2cc in the 4cc band. Today I am on warm Clear Liquids per Doctors instructions, but I am already starving.... I'm feeling like a complete failure. My doctor told me that people who loose alot in the beginning are the success ones...Does that mean I will not be??? I do good for a couple of days then it's like I am addicted to drugs I got to have a carb and sugar!!!

I have tried so hard and the weight is not coming off. I just hope this fill will help.

Hi again everyone. Carrot, I am so glad you're doing well. Frankly you're doing better than most of us! Now you're the leader, so keep letting us know what's working for you, so we can try to follow in your footsteps!

That being said, here is my caveat:

We've all done the mental gymnastics in the past to lose weight, and it works for as long as we can sustain it. Even with the "tool" in place, we still have to do some mental gymnastics to lose weight by keeping the committment to a lifestyle change. Unfortunately while we're in the "tool ain't workin' yet" stage, it's quite a challenge to pull this off, because with no restriction it's just 100% mental gymnastics.

By that I don't really mean it's "all" mental - what I mean is that we have to encourage ourselves, push ourselves, and psych ourselves up to do the exercise, push away from the table, follow the rules, and so on. It feels like the pre-band diet days.

If I could have pulled myself up by my bootstraps and just "turned the corner" away from a lifetime of bad food habits and emotional eating...... I'd have saved the $18,000 I cash-paid for my band and done it. But I need the restriction and satiety the band will provide. It's just not doing it's job yet. The work is still on me. And I'm not that good at it - never was.

I think BluesByrd advised up wisely in another thread: calm down, don't freak out, and be patient.

We all felt pretty good about things immediately post-surgery when we had no appetite. It was awesome! Thank goodness for postoperative swelling! It was like the honeymoon phase. I think we got our appetite wet for the "new life" and now that the swelling is down, we're back to the "old life" temporarily and it sucks, is frustrating, and discouraging.

But I feel confident that it's all a temporary slump. If I ever get great restriction, yet find myself making every excuse not to follow bandster rules...... then I'll get out the foam bat and beat myself up. Until then....... I will keep plugging along. I try to exercise most days. I eat right on some days, not all days , but I keep trying over and over to get back on track. It feels like dieting right now, but the light at the end of the tunnel is that good restriction will bring back the feelings I had in the glorius postop honeymoon phase. I'm counting on that happening. It's why I spent $18,000 on that little inflatable silicone band, instead of going on a European vacation for a month. It better work, because I need it. I'm not a good enough mental gymnast to make it to the finals without it!