Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kind of weird question but didn't want to sound like an idiot during my final consultation.

So I had VSG in November of 2014. On June 1st, I'm having it revised to RNY. Prior to surgery I will start my 2 week liquid diet. My question is....I don't have to do a bowel prep or anything. So if they are working on my intestines, what happens if I'm not cleared out? Since having VSG, I have had issues with Constipation and I am a little worried about that. Sorry for the TMI. I appreciate any help!

I wouldn't expect that it would be needed if you're doing one of those liquid diets for a couple weeks beforehand - I expect that you will be fasting after midnight before surgery and maybe Clear Liquids only the day before and that should have things adequately emptied out.

We did a bowel prep with clear liquids the day before (which was mostly a holdover from their DS practice) but we didn't have any pre-op diet before then.

Darlin',there are,no dumb or stupid questions,on here. If some thing is bothering you or giving you grief and we can help, we'll sure try. RickM is correct, almost every ,practice I know of has you on a clear liquid diet the day before, npo after midnight, even the benighted malintentioned souls I dealt with at program # 1, who didn't put their patients on a multiweek Protein Shake plan , they still did clear liquid the day before. I didn't pull out on them, they pulled out on me but that is a story you didn't ask to hear. My new and current one, what they ask I will do, no matter what. A few of the veterans day they wish they had done a bowel prep also. But by all logic, your food from 2 days prior should have completely or nearly completely moved out. Not even with a bypass will they be monkey-doodling with your lower bowel, so hand your worries up with your winter jacket and leave them home. Smile and know every little thing is going to be alright!😝

I just had a revision from sleeve to RNY and I too did not have a bowel prep the night before; just 2 week liquid diet.

Truet me when I say, you will be cleared out lol. I had diarrhea multiple times during those 2 weeks. I had regular poop in the beginning and then two liquid poops before surgery date. And besides, we are never fully cleaned out anyhow

Thank you everyone...I was so worried about that lol! I was picturing waking up from surgery and them telling me... sorry...we couldn't do it. You're full of **** LOL.

1 hour ago, Bryn910 said:

I just had a revision from sleeve to RNY and I too did not have a bowel prep the night before; just 2 week liquid diet.

Truet me when I say, you will be cleared out lol. I had diarrhea multiple times during those 2 weeks. I had regular poop in the beginning and then two liquid poops before surgery date. And besides, we are never fully cleaned out anyhow

Do you know the purpose of a 2 week liquid diet? I only had to do 2 days before vsg. I know typically the liquid diet is to shrink your liver. I'm not doing bypass for weight loss so I hope mine is not 2 weeks! My friend only had to do a day or two as well and her bypass wasn't for weight loss either. Guess I'll have to see.

The 2 week liquid diet is to shrink your liver and get excess fat off if it so they can lift it easier. Every surgeon is different. Some require 2 day liquids...some just do high Protein meals...and some do the dreaded 2 week liquids. I wouldn't think they would need you to do the 2 weeks if you are at a normal weight. Maybe just the 2 days? I would ask at your next appt! :)

My surgeon requires a 3 week starch free diet that shrinks the liver but we eat food then 2 days Clear Liquids to get solid food out the intestines

If it is any help, I had one of those “swallow a camera” test before my lap band was revised to RNY. He put the camera down, through my stomach, and into the top of the intestine past the stomach. I had to fast 12 hours first - and the entire area I watched on camera was as clean as a whistle! So, the bit they cut/sew/staple is clean as, after just 12 hours!

I actually had this same question...was going to call my surgeon's office Monday, but it's a holiday. My revision from sleeve to bypass is Tues (29th).

Have basically been on pureed Soups for a few months....no solids, due to GERD.

Planning on doing my full dose of Milk of Magnesia today, because like you, I have had major issues with Constipation and for a long time. Was really concerned an whether or not I needed a bowel prep.

Not a stupid question at all, thanks for asking it!

Good luck with your revision on June 1st...we will be just a couple of days apart.

:)

Edited by mylighthouse

And you two, just do a real good job,of it all, there are,always presurgs and "newbies" coming in, and now you will be the Seasoned Veterans to all them. Peaceful thought, firm convictions of the approving and improving things and good smooth healthy healings.😜👍

2 hours ago, mylighthouse said:

I actually had this same question...was going to call my surgeon's office Monday, but it's a holiday. My revision from sleeve to bypass is Tues (29th).

Have basically been on pureed Soups for a few months....no solids, due to GERD.

Planning on doing my full dose of Milk of Magnesia today, because like you, I have had major issues with Constipation and for a long time. Was really concerned an whether or not I needed a bowel prep.

Not a stupid question at all, thanks for asking it!

Good luck with your revision on June 1st...we will be just a couple of days apart.

:)

I hope I'm replying correctly. Still learning how to use the site. I think we will be fine...they are only cutting the small intestines and food doesn't stay there long. Plus, you have been doing liquids for a while. Shouldn't be much too much to get out lol. I hope all goes well for you!!!

6 minutes ago, GreatPyrMom said:

I hope I'm replying correctly. Still learning how to use the site. I think we will be fine...they are only cutting the small intestines and food doesn't stay there long. Plus, you have been doing liquids for a while. Shouldn't be much too much to get out lol. I hope all goes well for you!!!

Yep, I think we will be fine too!

Come back to the site when you're recovering and let me/us know how you're doing. :)

Shine brightly My Lighthouse for all of us now. We are all cheering you on to victory!

1 hour ago, Frustr8 said:

Shine brightly My Lighthouse for all of us now. We are all cheering you on to victory!

I really appreciate that! :)