Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hate it when people post just to post.....

Okay, ya'll. I kind of have news, but part of me doesn't believe it, so I'm kinda scared to announce it to my "real life" folks.

DH isn't really DH, he's been DBF for over 2 years, and I just refer to him as DH for simplicity.

Well, as of January 1, 2010 he really will be DH and I will be his DW.

And, I keep giving him crap that he hasn't asked "the right way" yet so I should believe it since he's asked about 5 times.

YAY! YAY! YAY! CONGRATULATIONS!

Glouc's getting married in January!:wink:

Ack! You put it that way and I freak out a little.

I'm kinda independent and I'm having a hard time. I WANT this, but I'm scared of it.

Beth - are you going to finish the floor, or call in someone else to do it? Having unfinished projects that I can see drives me crazy and makes me feel miserable the longer they are undone (hence my putting any of the kajillion unfinished needlework and quilting projects in cabinets out of view)!!

Yeah, but that's why basements are so hard -- you come UPstairs and shut the door. :wink:

But yes, DH and I need to get our butts down there and try to finish it. He has said the same thing a few times already, realizing that I'm losing out on a huge chunk of my exercise which he believes (correctly) I could really use right now due to how the unemployment thing is affecting me.

Well, as of January 1, 2010 he really will be DH and I will be his DW.

YAY YAY YAY Glou is getting hitched! How exciting. And on New Years Day...a great way to start the year (and of course yeet another reason for a party - I'm all about the celebration of life's events)...

And, I keep giving him crap that he hasn't asked "the right way" yet so I should believe it since he's asked about 5 times.

You mean he hasn't crawled on his knees over broken glass and groveled on his belly? Hm, I'd say no. :wink:

CONGRATS!!! That will be SO fantastic! A blushing PJTP bride! :sneaky:

Ack! You put it that way and I freak out a little.

No, no, no! Don't freak out, Glouc! This is TERRIFIC news! Despite the fact that some people think it's not a big deal, I believe that it is...and you two are going to make a GREAT married couple.

I'm kinda independent and I'm having a hard time. I WANT this, but I'm scared of it.

Breathe, Glouc, breathe! You won't lose your independence by marrying your guy, you'll just be 'formalizing' your already-great relationship...

It's going to be okay, girlfriend...I wish you and your DH-to-be nothing but the best! :crying:

Yeah, but that's why basements are so hard -- you come UPstairs and shut the door. :sneaky:

I hear ya, girlfriend...I've got a really messy basement I need to tackle as well...

But yes, DH and I need to get our butts down there and try to finish it. He has said the same thing a few times already, realizing that I'm losing out on a huge chunk of my exercise which he believes (correctly) I could really use right now due to how the unemployment thing is affecting me.

You're going to be working for that attorney you interviewed with soon, I hope...and if not, you'll be snatched up by someone else. In the meantime ('cause I work better by schedule, too) set yourself a schedule to get something productive around the house done every day...just for a couple of hours. You'll feel better, the projects will get done, and you may find that once you start, you'll keep going for a while.

I don't like plaster / drywall work...I put it off as long as I can, but once I get going, I'm okay...just collect all your tools (or a heap of bags, or whatever) and go!

You can do this! :wink:

You ladies seem so good at construction stuff - I think I'd like it if I knew what I was doing. I want to retile our bathroom wall before we sell this house. But, I'm really nervous about starting it and not being able to finish, and someone coming in and saying: haha..you really messed THIS up!

Any tips for bathroom walls? (The floors are good, and tub is o.k. but the wall tiles - ick.)

You're going to be working for that attorney you interviewed with soon, I hope...and if not, you'll be snatched up by someone else.

Actually, the place I interviewed with a couple weeks ago (where I bumped into the attorney) just called me again this morning for another interview. Same department, different job. So I will be schlepping back down there on Tuesday for another panel interview.

You mean he hasn't crawled on his knees over broken glass and groveled on his belly?

:wink::lol:

Breathe, Glouc, breathe! You won't lose your independence by marrying your guy, you'll just be 'formalizing' your already-great relationship...

It's going to be okay, girlfriend...I wish you and your DH-to-be nothing but the best! :sneaky:

What she said!

You ladies seem so good at construction stuff - I think I'd like it if I knew what I was doing. I want to retile our bathroom wall before we sell this house. But, I'm really nervous about starting it and not being able to finish, and someone coming in and saying: haha..you really messed THIS up!

DH and I both love the deconstruct reconstruct stuff, but tiling is one thing I don't do! We tried tiling the kitchen but despite everything we did, and DH's years of experience, we both weren't satisfied with the result, so ended up calling someone in. The guy who did the job didn't make any comments, but if he had, he'd be singing soprano!

Actually, the place I interviewed with a couple weeks ago (where I bumped into the attorney) just called me again this morning for another interview. Same department, different job. So I will be schlepping back down there on Tuesday for another panel interview.

YAY!

PJTP...

Glouc, I get a daily email from an inspirational publication, and today's message seemed appropriate for your situation. I've paraphrased a bit, but...

Today's Daily Word - Thursday, June 18, 2009

Change

I cross every bridge to change with faith and confidence.

As I complete one phase of my life, I make ready for the next one. I may be changing from a role as a student to one of being an employee. I may be taking on the added responsibility of owning my own home. I may no longer choose the single life and commit to a lifelong partner.

Whatever change I embark on, I build a bridge to my new experience. With planning, insight, and prayer, faith and confidence, I trust as I step forward to change.

Now about those wall tiles...

Depending on how well they were installed the first time, when you pull them down, the surface behind them will probably come with them. If that happens, no problem (she says happily)...you can replace the wall behind them with a tile backerboard (cement-based, kinda heavy, but in a shower, I wouldn't use anything else). Lay them out in a pattern that minimizes seams (seams - places where Water can seep in).

Once you've got the backerboard in place, you can lay out the walls with graph paper and with your measurements in hand, go to the home improvement store and pick your tile. Accent tiles are big nowadays - but you don't need many of them to make an impact. If the bathroom is kinda big, you can use a bigger tile. If it's small, a smaller tile may help keep it from feeling claustrophobic.

Tile can get pricey, so watch your budget - don't fall in love with something expensive, especially since you're selling the house. Neutral colors (think spa-like) also add value.

Once you pick the tile, you'll have to pick the adhesive, a grout color (and grout) and remember to caulk the seams between the tub and wall when you're done. It sounds like a lot, but it can be done - I've done it! :wink:

Sometimes the challenge is that once you re-do the tile, the rest of the bathroom looks like it needs re-doing as well...be careful of 'might as well' syndrome...'while I'm retiling, I might as well replace the floor, the faucets, the mirror, the sink..."

Great websites: hgtv.com - they will have before and after projects, plus shows that deal with remodeling before a sale to maximize value...Designed to Sell is a good one for that; diynetwork.com - also has good tips and before and after projects. If there's a Home Depot or Lowe's near you, they probably have tile setting classes free - take one before you start the project to see if you really want to do it.

Good luck! :sneaky:

Edited by EbonyRose
changed font and color on quoted material

Any tips for bathroom walls? (The floors are good, and tub is o.k. but the wall tiles - ick.)

I haven't done walls (Ebony? Sounds like you did...), but I did floors and they turned out FANTASTIC. I would think the walls would be very similar, and the biggest thing to remember is you HAVE to start out with a good foundation. What I think you must have is greenboard (I think it's a fiberglass-based board to repel moisture AND create a proper backing). All I can tell you is the internet is fantastic. You can find out pretty much everything you need to know from there. We had no formal training for the tiling but we really researched.

I don't know how well it will show up here (or even if I can link a photo properly), but here is how the tile looked when finished.

kitchen.jpg

Ebony - very clear instructions!

Beth - Your floor looked good. I never pictured you as a pink wall person...I am always amazed and entertained at how I get impressions of what people look like and how they dress etc, based solely on what they write here. Not unlike describing the person by their voice. Anyways, I digress...but is it really digression on a PJTP thread???:wink:

Beth - Your floor looked good. I never pictured you as a pink wall person...I am always amazed and entertained at how I get impressions of what people look like and how they dress etc, based solely on what they write here. Not unlike describing the person by their voice. Anyways, I digress...but is it really digression on a PJTP thread???:wink:

Actually, the walls were a soft beige (they just look tinged because of the pic). The lower part was paneling that I painted a color called Kitten White, and the upper part was just plain off-white. It was before it got painted the green it ended up. These pics were also before I painted the cabinets a better white, or nailed up the baseboards, or resurfaced the countertops or replaced the double oven. As you can see, they were all the original goldenrod from 1972.

PJTP...

Wow, Beth! Very nice result...I wish my kitchen floors were flat enough to allow me to do tile...old house = non-level floors (unless you want to pull it all up down to the joists and re-do the underlayment, plus remove and replace all windows after re-leveling them, and re-building the stud walls, etc, etc, etc)

I've heard of green board, but thought it wasn't for high moisture areas like shower stalls. Of course, if you can use it for that, it would be lots easier than wrestling with cement board! Maybe I'll use that when I finish the master bath sometime this fall...

Tap - thanks for the compliment - given your experience and history, I take that as a compliment!:sneaky:

I'll have to post more pics soon...I want y'all to see my projects, too! Now I just gotta find a good one (most of them are over 7 years old and ready for a re-do or refresh) :wink:

PJTP...Beth, I LOVE the pics of your motorcycle on FB!

Must...stay...off...of...EBay......:wink: