Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hate it when people post just to post.....

Wow, Beth! Very nice result...I wish my kitchen floors were flat enough to allow me to do tile...old house = non-level floors (unless you want to pull it all up down to the joists and re-do the underlayment, plus remove and replace all windows after re-leveling them, and re-building the stud walls, etc, etc, etc)

Well, the thing about Texas is that you don't have basements. Therefore, all your floors are concrete. The only thing you need to do (if necessary) is level out low areas before laying tile so you don't have pockets.

I've heard of green board, but thought it wasn't for high moisture areas like shower stalls. Of course, if you can use it for that, it would be lots easier than wrestling with cement board! Maybe I'll use that when I finish the master bath sometime this fall...

Actually, don't take my word for it. I don't recall where I saw info on green board (maybe online on a how-to site?), and it's very possible it's meant more for bathtubs and not for showers. If what you've done has worked, please, don't listen to me! lol

PJTP...Beth, I LOVE the pics of your motorcycle on FB!

Must...stay...off...of...EBay......:sneaky:

Yeah, I love my baby.

And eBay? Why? Gonna buy a motorcycle? :wink:

Beth-loved the bike picture and the kitchen picture. I would love to have tile floors, but like Ebony mentioned, old house=uneven floors. There is no way I will ever be able to level this sucker. By the way, Ebony I do love your house.

Beth-loved the bike picture and the kitchen picture. I would love to have tile floors, but like Ebony mentioned, old house=uneven floors. There is no way I will ever be able to level this sucker. By the way, Ebony I do love your house.

Yeah, I know it can't be done in all houses. You pretty much have to have a concrete subfloor to do tile like that. I guess that's why you see mostly wood floors out east this way because of all the basements. In Texas, I doubt anybody has a basement (well, Houston, anyway) because of the clay ground. They just can't have them there.

My upstairs master was tiled, but it was the smaller 3-inch tiles (I don't think you can get much bigger than that with a wooden subfloor unless the tiles are thick), and even so, I have some broken tiles. It's very 80's looking, as is the tile in the shower, and I'd LOVE to re-do them both. Hubby apparently isn't onboard with me in doing it ourselves. Punk. :thumbup:

Yeah, I know it can't be done in all houses. You pretty much have to have a concrete subfloor to do tile like that. I guess that's why you see mostly wood floors out east this way because of all the basements. In Texas, I doubt anybody has a basement (well, Houston, anyway) because of the clay ground. They just can't have them there.

I would love for my house to be on a concrete slab. I would also love to have a basement. I was in too big of a hurry to buy a house to do it right. You live and learn.

My upstairs master was tiled, but it was the smaller 3-inch tiles (I don't think you can get much bigger than that with a wooden subfloor unless the tiles are thick), and even so, I have some broken tiles. It's very 80's looking, as is the tile in the shower, and I'd LOVE to re-do them both. Hubby apparently isn't onboard with me in doing it ourselves. Punk. :)

My hubby is apparently a punk on that score too.:) He talks about all of this stuff we could do to the house, but we never do it.:thumbup:

Yay Beth. Prayers are with you to get the job.

O.K. I must stay off the pain meds!:thumbup: I just called my ex-bf and asked to borrow money so I can keep the phone on for another month. I need it for Dr. appointments, but I have to have the money for them too! Every time I see him he tells me if I ever need anything to let him know. Well I let him know. He is supposed to come by about 7:30 tonight. Just shoot me now!:)

I would love for my house to be on a concrete slab. I would also love to have a basement. I was in too big of a hurry to buy a house to do it right. You live and learn.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's an either/or. A concrete slab is to heavy to have a basement underneath, and a basement is always under a subfloor. So you did nothing wrong, you just had to choose one or the other.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's an either/or. A concrete slab is to heavy to have a basement underneath, and a basement is always under a subfloor. So you did nothing wrong, you just had to choose one or the other.

Oh, I know you can't have both. I don't have either in my house. I meant I was in too big of a hurry just to get a house and didn't do enough research. I was so thrilled that I had been approved for a home loan that I didn't take the time to really look into what I wanted and what the true condition of the house was. My house had been "spruced up" to make it look like it was in good shape. The cracks in the walls were fixed. Shehad carpet with extra padding covering the uneven floors. Of course, once I had signed on the dotted line, it was too late. I was just too excited about the prospect of owning my own home.

hey all -

back from trip a few days earlier to get tested tomorrow for our friend who has bone marrow cancer. all 3 of his siblings weren't matches so his wife set up screenings for us friends tomorrow am.

sure hope my indulgence of "adult beverages" doesn't compromise things.

no biggie, while i was having a blast from reality - it's good to be home & my doggies are just a bit estatic.

going back to catch up on ya'll - re basements, none that i know of in TX. we have wood floors upstairs, textured heated concrete/tile downstairs. would love a cold basement about now - 6pm & 104 degrees.

Oh, I know you can't have both. I don't have either in my house. I meant I was in too big of a hurry just to get a house and didn't do enough research. I was so thrilled that I had been approved for a home loan that I didn't take the time to really look into what I wanted and what the true condition of the house was. My house had been "spruced up" to make it look like it was in good shape. The cracks in the walls were fixed. Shehad carpet with extra padding covering the uneven floors. Of course, once I had signed on the dotted line, it was too late. I was just too excited about the prospect of owning my own home.

Been there, done that! :thumbup:

hey all -

back from trip a few days earlier to get tested tomorrow for our friend who has bone marrow cancer. all 3 of his siblings weren't matches so his wife set up screenings for us friends tomorrow am.

Welcome back. Hopefully one of you will be a match.

sure hope my indulgence of "adult beverages" doesn't compromise things..

Surely it won't. How exactly do they test you, if you don't mind my asking?

going back to catch up on ya'll - re basements, none that i know of in TX. we have wood floors upstairs, textured heated concrete/tile downstairs. would love a cold basement about now - 6pm & 104 degrees.

I am envious of the floors.

Been there, done that! :thumbup:

It must be a part of homebuying. Screw up with the first house. Hopefully learn the things you want and don't want for the next one. I keep saying I won't buy another house. I don't like being responsible for fixing the crap when it breaks!

It must be a part of homebuying. Screw up with the first house. Hopefully learn the things you want and don't want for the next one. I keep saying I won't buy another house. I don't like being responsible for fixing the crap when it breaks!

Yeah, I think it is a big part of homebuying. With me, the first house was just so... BIG. To be our age and be able to get a house that was so... BIG... amazed me, even though it was a fixer-upper. Nothing really huge cost-wise -- it had a new roof and a few other things -- but it had been empty 3 1/2 years before we bought it (it was a foreclosure, owned by the VA, and went through a series of priced too high/too many things wrong, and went to priced much lower/many things fixed). It had NO yard (weeds, dead and live), the sprinkler was broken, needed painting/minor wood repair outside, painting inside BADLY (not to mention how dated it was), and just general stuff to prettify it. Oh, and the kitchen was a poster child for 1972. :thumbup:

It was really gorgeous when we finished it -- then we sold it. As a matter of fact, I pulled it up last night on GoogleEarth (street-level, if you can believe it) and saw a pic of it since we've left. The morons who took it over have turned it to crap. At least outside. Very disappointing. :)

My house isn't big. It is actually a lot less of a house than I could have had if I had followed my heart and stayed in the neighborhood that we were living in before. If I had done that, there were no cheap apartments close by that MIL could later move into and wreck my life! Sorry, went off on a tangent there. I bought my house after having my offer turned down on another house. I should have kept looking further, but that finance offer was apparently burning a hole in my purse! I went from approval to signing papers within a month. I won't do it that way again.

How exactly do they test you, if you don't mind my asking?

cheek swab first for an 8/8 match (still learning) - then blood testing once confirmed a suitable match. swab is being done tomorrow.

rennovations are just TIRESOME, we are in yr 2 of our's and i was hoping some gremlins would have come in while we were gone and finnished my kitchen. no such luck - still have a busted out wall that separated the kitchen/dining (making one big kitchen) & some poorly done sheet rock that needs to be redone. making my list before i call contractor in the AM, pretty sure he took a vacation from me....LOL