Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hate it when people post just to post.....

Why not require her to go to a good community college for her basics/gen eds first, one where her credits are guaranteed to transfer to VA State? That way it covers three things: It gives y'all time to get the money for university, it's only two years' worth then, AND most importantly, she has to prove herself and get adequate grades. Wha'dya think?

Beth, I think that's a terrific idea :party:- have mentioned it to DD as well, but she's not ready to hear it yet...got her heart set on "getting out of Dodge" so to speak. She really wants the "college experience" and thinks she has to leave home to get it...:hurray:

I also encouraged her to apply to a local college - she would be living at home, we'd get her a car to drive back and forth (no bus service to the college that is reliable - it's a few towns over, about a 30 min drive), and it would be half the cost.:) They have her major also - which was formerly a sticking point. She's still insisting that she can raise the funds to go out of state, but she's got less than a month.:thumbup: I've told her the funds have to be committed by the time we return from Florida, or it's time to make alternate plans...

Our fallback plan is to let her plans run their course, then, if she can't get the money, she goes to community college for the fall (easier to get into, schedule classes, and it's less than 15 min from our home), and then transfer for the 2010-2011 year.

I think Beth's idea is really good as well! She is a smart cookie... mmmmm, Cookies.

Cookies sound really good right now...:thumbup:

I accomplished absolutely nothing yesterday. I figured why do today what I can put off until tomorrow? Sad, I know. I will be working all day on the job and packing all night when I get home. Oh well.

Happy Monday all!

Happy Monday to you too, Susan, and to all my LBT fam! :party:

Today will be my first day at work. Only 3 hrs. But that is 3 more than what I had.

Community college is a very good idea.

Everyone have a blessed Monday.

Yay for you, G4E! The new job sounds wonderful...I pray all works out fabulously for you! :thumbup:

Heartfire - I agree, this will be one of those "grow up quick" scenarios...she's learning some of that lesson (inattention to grades means less college money) as she searches, but until she has to write the letter refusing her spot at VA State, it won't really hit home.

My DH and I think she'll probably blame us..."my parents don't have enough money to send me" :thumbup: and that's fine...I've been reiterating to her that we don't want her to work because working while in high school produced a drop in her grades and we made her quit. The same with being in the Marching Band - her grades dropped and we made her quit.

We did the same thing with her brother - his grades were not good enough for him to try out for the basketball team (something he dearly wanted to do) until his senior year! By then, it was too late - any skill development he COULD have done while with the team, getting stronger, etc, it was just too late for. We are consistent with our messages and our discipline because it's just easier that way, and ultimately more fair.

Ya think they'd learn by watching their siblings go through stuff, but no...no lesson learned until it happens to them! :hurray:

Happily preparing for my second interview tomorrow :)...sending up big prayers for a favorable outcome. The first interview was great, so I'm pretty confident, but not overconfident...

Everyone have a wonderful day...I'm planning to do the same!:)

Morning all!!

You have all been busy posting...I'll never get caught up. So, after a quick read:

Lulu - hope you had/are having a wonderful surprise trip.

G4E - Congrats on the job; watchyour health.

Ebony - a 2nd interview is a fabulous sing! You must have really wowed them! My fingers are crossed, and I am poised for a happy dance!

Fanny - lovely pics!! Just beautiful. DH and I are hoping to go to Australia in Feb...gotta start planning as we will only have 3 weeks so will have to be very selective on what we can realistically see and do.

Slim- Your MIL is a piece of work...

Beth- sending positive vibes ...It sounds like this guy isn't really sure what the job will entail, which offers the succesful candidate great opportunity to make it what he/she wants. I hope it is you!

Susan - get busy - that sale is approaching quickly!!!

So many more posts to catch up on......I think I will do this on the installment plan!

I am exhausted and sick...starting PB'ing about day 3, and it just got progressively worse... I haven't yet been able to even get one cup of coffee down this morning....Im hoping that this too shall pass, else I see a un-fill coming.

Beth, I think that's a terrific idea :thumbup:- have mentioned it to DD as well, but she's not ready to hear it yet...got her heart set on "getting out of Dodge" so to speak. She really wants the "college experience" and thinks she has to leave home to get it...:thumbup:

Yeah, well I want to be 120 pounds again, but sometimes life is full of this sticky little thing called reality. :)

I also encouraged her to apply to a local college - she would be living at home, we'd get her a car to drive back and forth (no bus service to the college that is reliable - it's a few towns over, about a 30 min drive), and it would be half the cost.:) They have her major also - which was formerly a sticking point. She's still insisting that she can raise the funds to go out of state, but she's got less than a month.:) I've told her the funds have to be committed by the time we return from Florida, or it's time to make alternate plans...

But even if she went to a local community college for her basics, she doesn't even have to go anywhere with her major, so long as it is a good community college whose credits will be accepted at VA State.

I'm doing that right now. I started at George Mason on a couple upper credit classes, but I still needed about 15 credits in 100 and 200 level. My advisor said that if I went to my community college, those classes would cost me about $1000, compared to $4000 if I took them at Mason. That was a total no-brainer.

ESPECIALLY if she hasn't done really well in proving herself in high school, I'd say that is a given, that she'd have to prove herself now. Even if she went to community college for ONE year and was able to save up her portion (and give you time to save yours) for VA State, it gives everybody some breathing room and time.

Even though she wants the whole getting-away college experience, there has to be some reality there. If she doesn't have the money necessary, and you're going to be really strapped by getting her in at VA State right now, then the only fair thing for everybody is for her to agree to community college.

You have to remember, not only is there the huge cost for college, but books are a real bear as well! HINT: When buying textbooks, absolutely use www.half.com or www.amazon.com to get them!!! Not only will y'all save tons, but then she can sell them the same way as well. It's the only way I get my books now.

Today will be my first day at work. Only 3 hrs. But that is 3 more than what I had.

Community college is a very good idea.

Everyone have a blessed Monday.

AWESOME news, G4E!!! I'm doin' a happy dance for ya! :)

Happily preparing for my second interview tomorrow :)...sending up big prayers for a favorable outcome. The first interview was great, so I'm pretty confident, but not overconfident...

Doin the happy dance for you as well! :)

PJTP: My mother is having angioplasty tomorrow for a seriously clogged abdominal aorta as well as the femoral artery in one of her legs. If they cannot get it cleared that way they will have to do abdominal surgery. My mom says she is going to die as she had a dream that her mother told her that she can come and sleep with her.

I had a panic attack thinking about losing my mom. I wish I had the money to go to Texas to be with her. This seriously sucks.

PJTP: My mother is having angioplasty tomorrow for a seriously clogged abdominal aorta as well as the femoral artery in one of her legs. If they cannot get it cleared that way they will have to do abdominal surgery. My mom says she is going to die as she had a dream that her mother told her that she can come and sleep with her.

I had a panic attack thinking about losing my mom. I wish I had the money to go to Texas to be with her. This seriously sucks.

I already knew about the surgery but not the dream! :) I will pray that all turns out well, my friend. I wish you could go be with her too. It's really hard to not have money to do things like that.

PJTP...

Prayers out to you, Colorado Chick and your beloved mom - I pray all turns out well and she recovers quickly and completely.:)

Many prayers CC!

Congrats G4E! I hope you had a great 1st day!

Tap-take care of yourself. I know not being able to get anything down is nothing to play with (not that I know from personal experience thank goodness).

I am exhausted and sick...starting PB'ing about day 3, and it just got progressively worse... I haven't yet been able to even get one cup of coffee down this morning....Im hoping that this too shall pass, else I see a un-fill coming.

Tap, I definitely recommend an un-fill, that is so not good for you. I know how miserable you must be feeling!

You and your mother are in my thoughts. Keep us posted on how she is doing.

We received sad news yesterday about an old friend from high school. Her and her husband had encountered some pretty serious financial problems after having been fairly well off. Apparently, he couldn't handle it anymore and killed her, their two children and then himself. That is such a tragedy. I am in shock.

Susan - I am so sorry to hear of your friend. Obviously the husband had a significant mental health issue to embrace murder and suicide as a solution to any situation. The poor family.

I managed yesterday to get a Protein smoothie and pudding down by last evening. Today seems better, so I think I just need to let things RELAX and get back to normal. I will assess during the week, but I am hoping this too shall pass.

Things were quiet on LBT yesterday...

Susan, that's horrible! Omg, it seems like we are hearing about this way too often. I pray for peace for the family that was left behind to deal with this tragedy.