Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Discouraged 10 month post op VSGr

So just decided to make a profile here because I am just feeling lost and running out of motivation. I am 10 months post op and have not nearly lost as much weight as I thought I would have by now. I was sleeved in April 2017, and my surgery weight was 243 and I have been stuck at 196-197 for 4 months!!! I have stepped up my workout game, but am struggling with with what to eat in terms of getting enough Protein in, and i struggle with in-taking the right amount of Water. I still get full quickly which is a good thing, but I feel hungry a lot. I keep browsing the internet trying to find sample menus or just get an idea of what and how I should be eating but everyone is different and different things have worked for different people and now I am just at a lost of what to do. I am feeling pretty down and discouraged. I will admit to waiting wayyyyyy too long to see a surgeon and a nutritionist. I had my surgery in Mass, but 8 months ago moved down to NC with my family. Last fall was one of the busiest times of my life but I regret not seeing someone then. I am waiting for the 19th of March to see a surgeon down here but that is such a long time from now! I would love to hear anything that I can try that will help, any encouragement to maybe know that I am not alone.

P.S I am OK with 100% honesty and don't cringe at positive criticism :)

LB i think your looking at this from a slightly wrong view.

the AVG sleeve weight loss is 60% of EXCESS weight. From your post it looks like you are only 8-10 from that so barely under avg for the surgery. To get better than avg results you will have have to commit to above avg control of portions and food choice and at the later stages in time that you are in above avg exercise routine.

1. Are you tracking every bite you eat - if not start - myfitnesspal or any other app.

2. Are you watching the sugar content of everything you eat - food tracking app again.

3. Keep carbs complex and avoid simple anything.

4. Turn around every box in your kitchen and if it has more than 5 grams of sugar per serving get rid of it. There is no good sugar.

You are still in your first year and avg weight loss continues -albeit slower - for 18 months so you still have time to push past avg and get your goal.

Refocus on the mental game. From here on out it is all about the lifestyle changes you have worked on to make new and better habits.

I wish you luck and success going forward

Hi allwet. Thank you so much for this slap over my head. Seriously I read this over about 5 times because I really wanted it to stick in my mind. You are so right about the mental part in it. That's the hardest part but I do have to refocus. I did start to track on my fitness pal app a couple weeks ago and noticed too much sugar on some days, way under my Protein at times as well. It really bums me out that I am under act but I have to beat that. I will push because I know the sleeve works as an aid and I am not 100% doing my part for it to work. That's going to change! Getting my mind where it's supposed to be from today on!,Thank you!

I agree

Tracking is crucial. The lack of accountability got me where I was in the first place.

When I stalled for nearly a month (month 2)I had to go straight back to basic , I had to add in that Protein Shake, I had to remove slider foods like Greek yogurt, although they are Protein rich I was often hungry very quickly. I had to add easy dense Proteins back in like boiled eggs. I had to get 64oz min of liquids in by any means necessary, which for me mean using straws (which is under debate )
I had to return to the phases I thought I outgrew.

If you are a coffee drinker one of the easiest ways to up way your protein consumption is by adding premier caramel shake to coffee. It's the only I have been able to tolerate the shakes post surgery.

Don't be discouraged, this amazing tool you have will work for you if you use it

Sent from my N817 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you tealeal! I am thinking of doing this before starting from square 1 food wise. It's looking like I'm going to have to go back to shakes and liquids. How long did you do that for? 2 weeks? 3 weeks?

Thanks

13 hours ago, Tealael said:

I agree

Tracking is crucial. The lack of accountability got me where I was in the first place.

When I stalled for nearly a month (month 2)I had to go straight back to basic , I had to add in that Protein Shake, I had to remove slider foods like Greek yogurt, although they are Protein rich I was often hungry very quickly. I had to add easy dense Proteins back in like boiled eggs. I had to get 64oz min of liquids in by any means necessary, which for me mean using straws (which is under debate )
I had to return to the phases I thought I outgrew.

If you are a coffee drinker one of the easiest ways to up way your Protein consumption is by adding premier caramel shake to coffee. It's the only I have been able to tolerate the shakes post surgery.

Don't be discouraged, this amazing tool you have will work for you if you use it

Quick question what’s the straw debate? What’s wrong with using a straw

I didn't totally go back in and reboot the stages, I just added things back in from previous stages like adding Protein Powder or shake to hit chocolate or oatmeal.

I'm still doing shakes every day and this may remain forever in my routine (I'm only three months out btw) I was able to commit to Creamer or half and half forever so it's a nice trade

And by using it in coffee I easily reach Protein goals by lunch where as before I was struggling at 9pm trying to get more in.

And now I maybe able to return to my previous vegetarian lifestyle (ovo lacto) in about 2 months when see my surgeon again which is my first goal now

Quick question what’s the straw debate? What’s wrong with using a straw

Some surgeons forbid the use of straws ever again. I hear it's about gas some say makes you drink too quickly
But for me It's the only I'm going to get cold fluids in.
So far no negative effects for me but I would never advocate for people to disregard their doctors orders so I added that disclaimer

So just decided to make a profile here because I am just feeling lost and running out of motivation. I am 10 months post op and have not nearly lost as much weight as I thought I would have by now. I was sleeved in April 2017, and my surgery weight was 243 and I have been stuck at 196-197 for 4 months!!! I have stepped up my workout game, but am struggling with with what to eat in terms of getting enough Protein in, and i struggle with in-taking the right amount of Water. I still get full quickly which is a good thing, but I feel hungry a lot. I keep browsing the internet trying to find sample menus or just get an idea of what and how I should be eating but everyone is different and different things have worked for different people and now I am just at a lost of what to do. I am feeling pretty down and discouraged. I will admit to waiting wayyyyyy too long to see a surgeon and a nutritionist. I had my surgery in Mass, but 8 months ago moved down to NC with my family. Last fall was one of the busiest times of my life but I regret not seeing someone then. I am waiting for the 19th of March to see a surgeon down here but that is such a long time from now! I would love to hear anything that I can try that will help, any encouragement to maybe know that I am not alone.
P.S I am OK with 100% honesty and don't cringe at positive criticism [emoji4]
Hi . Weight Wise you've done very well. I think we really have to be paitent. As I used to go on just shakes for 7 days just to get the boost of weight loss. It's not nessesary. But basics like others have suggested of lean Protein Bites of veg will really work. It just will take time the closer you get to goal. You doing great. My hw -250 surgery day 244 July 4th now 168lbs. It's slower now but I'm trying to be patient.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using Tapatalk