Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Those Cleared For Veggies and Greens Post Op

Hey y'all, for those of you far enough out post surgery, do you find any issues with eating cooked/sauteed greens or greens in stews and such? (i.e. kale, swiss chard, collard greens, turnips greens, mustard greens, spinach, bok choy, cabbage, etc) Do you find that you have to chop them up more? Or can you digest a Soup that has a handful or two of baby spinach or rough chopped swiss chard or kale thrown into it?

Trying to understand if the leafy greens get stuck in your new pouch or sleeve!

TIA!

I haven't had any problems with greens, but I should probably add that I haven't really had problems with anything as long as I don't eat too much. I threw up once after Breakfast, but I think it was the smells that got me--I was in a coffee shop and went to the restroom and the smell of cleaning supplies really affected me. TMI?

I think everyone is just different, Fluff. Best to try each new food one at a time and see how you do. I have no problems with any of the things you've listed, if that helps. That said, not much bothers me. I eat finely diced celery in my chicken salad now with no problem...which I should technically avoid....but my nutritionist said if I tolerate it well...it's healthy Fiber. Some folks do NOT tolerate fibrous foods, though, and it can mean pain for them. Go a little at a time and ease into new things.

Thanks ladies!!!

(Ewwww on the ralphing from bathroom cleaner smells. :o:59_sleepy:

33 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

I think everyone is just different, Fluff. Best to try each new food one at a time and see how you do. I have no problems with any of the things you've listed, if that helps. That said, not much bothers me. I eat finely diced celery in my chicken salad now with no problem...which I should technically avoid....but my nutritionist said if I tolerate it well...it's healthy Fiber. Some folks do NOT tolerate fibrous foods, though, and it can mean pain for them. Go a little at a time and ease into new things.

Yep...agree on everything. Salads are a mainstay in my diet for the Fiber. I can't think of any veggie that has given me any sort of problem since surgery. I just followed my plan as to when I could eat certain things. As Creek said try anything new in small batches and see how it goes.

I had greens since pre-op diet and even immediately post-op. My NUT approved of what I’ve shared on BP before, my green bombs. It’s a mix of leafy greens, green apple, avocados, anything green really...and Water. Blended really good, poured in ice cubes and frozen. When I made my Protein Shakes early on, I dropped one of them in with it and was able to get my veggie/fiber nutrition in as well, (It was all liquid. 😊 ) until I got further out and just ate them.

Yum! Love that idea! Did you use peel and all?

Just now, FluffyChix said:

Yum! Love that idea! Did you use peel and all?

Yep!

Thanks girl! I will make some of these and freeze them before I have surgery. :)

Ok, how about cooked, sliced fresh mushrooms? Anyone have issues with a veg with more rubbery texture going through? Or how about okra? Tomatoes? Soooooo many questions!!