Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m halfway through the process and I hope to have surgery in May. As of now I have quit smoking, am trying to stop Diet Coke and am now on a 1600cal diet (surgeon required). The calorie reduction is new. I lost 15 the first 3 months and they want me to drop another 15. I’ve had to stop using my “crutches” and it just has me in a weird place. This week is really bad. I know it’s for the ultimate good and I’ll be better off in the long run but right now it makes me wonder if I can really do this. And of course my therapist is on vacation. I’m sure others have gone through this. Any tips?

You can do this. You've given up a lot in a short time, but the rewards will be worth it. Find a hobby, preferably something to do with your hands, to keep you busy. I found a knitting loom at Micheals craft store, I can't knit or crochet with needles, but with the loom I can make things like hats, scarves, or socks with yarn. It's something to do, and I give the things I make as gifts .

That’s a good idea. I used to knit. I could pick it up again. Thanks!

Well Lilymunster its good to hear from you. You are going to get thru this trial by fire, you've quit smoking, good girl, thats an excellent first step. Now that calorie restriction, 1500 is not a bad level, I know you can do it. I've been on 1000 and 1200 before. Remember lean meat or other Protein, fruits a n d vegetables. Minimize bread and starchy carbohydrates if you can't cut them completely. Get plenty of fluids, its not too soon to get in 64 oz daily. Thats what they'll expect from you,post surgery. No sweetened drinks like sodas, colas ,root beer, Dr Pepper, you get my drift. Some doctors even make you give up,coffee and tea. 1.caffeine is a stimulant and a diaretic. 2. A lot of people add cream and sugar to them-both no no
Try to get enough rest, try to do daily exercise, it will,make you stronger and a stronger patient will be a healthier patient. Plus if You're out walking or other exercise you won't be so tempted to sit and eat. Take the advice of an older fat woman, you don't want to be worn out and worn down. Even this fat broad is walking more, if I can do it so can you. Hope this pep talk has helped a little.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks for the tips. The diet is ok. Getting my Protein and Fiber, barely any carbs at all. If I do have them it’s Beans. I’ve started hitting my Water goal and had to ditch the Diet Coke, with all that water there is no room for Diet Coke! it’s a lot of change at once and this week it is overwhelming. I am recovering from the flu and that doesn’t help. A lot of self reflection going on right now and a lot of anxious energy. Maybe this is the time to do a deep house cleaning, burn off some of the anxiety and doubt.

all your problems (hunger, feeling like crap) will go away after you get the surgery. it becomes easy then.

the hard part is what you’re going thru right now. so just get thru it the best you can. don’t give up.