Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you wish you had known before going in for surgery?

Just got approved today! And my Surgeon scheduled my surgery for Monday! That's only 5 days away!!!! So, I'm freaking out (in a good way ) and I want to know, what do you wish you had known before going in for surgery? What should I bring? What about tips for recovery? I'm so excited!!!

This is a very exciting time. A few tips -

Take a good lip gloss

Take a power chord and extension chord for your iPad/phone. You won’t want to do much bar sleep, play a game, txt mates.

The night before, you might get serious jitters, second guess your decision making, think about pulling out. Seems many of us do - that bit seems to be the hardest.

You have made a great decision, for you and your health - go for it.

Prepare yourself mentally and take this time to really think about your relationship with food. Not sure if you have to do a liquid diet (obviously not 2 weeks like many of us did) but that was a period to make me realize the struggles I had with food. People react differently after surgery. Some don't feel any feelings of hunger for weeks, others the next day. Head hunger is something you'll have to come to terms with. Don't get discouraged if you start getting hunger pangs and think that your doctor forgot to do your sleeve...lol

The other big things are not to freak out if/when you hit a stall. Don't obsess about the scale. Your body is going to be going through some major changes so be patient with it. Focus on the basics (protein/water/vitamins) and healing for the first few weeks and making sure you get off on the right foot. That will help out so much in the long run.

Good luck to you!

Edited by orionburn

Congrats to you!!!!

These are the things I'm gonna remind myself of immediately following surgery:

1. Embrace the suck. Every day will get better and you will be able to eat more. So capitalize on not eating and embrace the suck!!!!

2. Sip. Sip. Sip.

3. Walk - even when you don't wanna.

4. Get the dang Protein Drinks down--no matter what! Worry about eating later.

5. If you feel hunger and growly tummy--especially right out of surgery, it's probably acid--take your omeprazoles.

6. Be proactive about your poop shoot and start with the stool softeners asap.

7. Bring a "coughing" pillow to the hospital.

8. Look at the bright side and don't forget the big picture. 1 year from this very day, you're life will have changed for the better and you will say the only regret you had was waiting so long to do this.

10. Don't forget to stay fully hydrated!!!

11. Occams razor...simple-est solution is best.

12. Oh, and there will be blues and depression from the anesthesia and from them touching/rearranging your gut, but it will pass!!!!

Congrats to you!!!!
These are the things I'm gonna remind myself of immediately following surgery:
1. Embrace the suck. Every day will get better and you will be able to eat more. So capitalize on not eating and embrace the suck!!!!
2. Sip. Sip. Sip.
3. Walk - even when you don't wanna.
4. Get the dang Protein Drinks down--no matter what! Worry about eating later.
5. If you feel hunger and growly tummy--especially right out of surgery, it's probably acid--take your omeprazoles.
6. Be proactive about your poop shoot and start with the stool softeners asap.
7. Bring a "coughing" pillow to the hospital.
8. Look at the bright side and don't forget the big picture. 1 year from this very day, you're life will have changed for the better and you will say the only regret you had was waiting so long to do this.
10. Don't forget to stay fully hydrated!!!
11. Occams razor...simple-est solution is best.
12. Oh, and there will be blues and depression from the anesthesia and from them touching/rearranging your gut, but it will pass!!!!

Thank you! These are going on my checklist of things to remember!

Congratulations!

I personally didn't use much of what I packed including gas-x strips, chapstick, etc. I didn't even use my cellphone since I was knocked out from the IV Phenergan.

Before you are discharged don't forget to ask your nurse about bringing home extra 1 oz medicine cups! Those little things are pretty helpful!

I found having things like a fleece blanket and fleece sweater helpful in the comfort aspect of things.

Also, I completely forgot about popsicles my 1st week post-op---don't do this. When I did remember about them, they of course were AMAZING.

Good luck!

Edited by greygoosecytosis

Congratulations!
I personally didn't use much of what I packed including gas-x strips, chapstick, etc. I didn't even use my cellphone since I was knocked out from the IV Phenergan.
Before you are discharged don't forget to ask your nurse about bringing home extra 1 oz medicine cups! Those little things are pretty helpful!
I found having things like a fleece blanket and fleece sweater helpful in the comfort aspect of things.
Also, I completely forgot about popsicles my 1st week post-op---don't do this. When I did remember about them, they of course were AMAZING.
Good luck!

Thank you! What are the cups for?

I love the embrace “the suck” idea! It perfectly sums it up! I had issues with my “fat chic brain” wanting to eat even though I wasn’t really that hungry, took a while to retrain “her”. ;) Also, sugar free bomb pops were my best friend! I also went through an emotional stage somewhere before week 5 (maybe wk3 or 4?) and hated myself for doing this to myself etc, but it passed. Most importantly, PROTEIN! I wasn’t told until I visited a support group (post op) that if you don’t reach your required Protein goals consistently, you MAY experience Hair loss around the 3mos mark ... I think they jinxed me lol. I couldn’t stomach the Protein Shakes after surgery very well, it was a mental thing, not a physical one, but I definitely didn’t meet my Proteins and guess what happened?! Luckily I had tons of hair to begin with so no one even noticed but me. It only last a couple of months and I have regrowth now thankfully. ;) Good luck and keep a journal of your feelings and losses and measurements! You’ll be surprised when you go back though it even a few months later!! :)

@JennyKeller Holy fu*ck! sugar free bomb pops? Maybe I didn't say that loud enough? SUGAR FREE FREAKIN' BOMB POPS???

Hold me...I need a moment.

I love the embrace “the suck” idea! It perfectly sums it up! I had issues with my “fat chic brain” wanting to eat even though I wasn’t really that hungry, took a while to retrain “her”. [emoji6] Also, sugar free bomb pops were my best friend! I also went through an emotional stage somewhere before week 5 (maybe wk3 or 4?) and hated myself for doing this to myself etc, but it passed. Most importantly, PROTEIN! I wasn’t told until I visited a support group (post op) that if you don’t reach your required Protein goals consistently, you MAY experience Hair loss around the 3mos mark ... I think they jinxed me lol. I couldn’t stomach the Protein Shakes after surgery very well, it was a mental thing, not a physical one, but I definitely didn’t meet my Proteins and guess what happened?! Luckily I had tons of hair to begin with so no one even noticed but me. It only last a couple of months and I have regrowth now thankfully. [emoji6] Good luck and keep a journal of your feelings and losses and measurements! You’ll be surprised when you go back though it even a few months later!! [emoji4]

Omg where would one acquire said sugar free bomb pops???

I got them at my local grocery store but I THINK I also saw them @ Walmart ;)