Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

who is the worst doc in mexico

Dr. Ortiz in TJ did my band back in July and I would be very surprised if his clinic wasn't cleaner and more up to date than the hospital you work at. I was very impressed.

thank you i work in a hospital in south fl and nobody wants me to have surgery in mexico

Not surprising--most people in health care feel that way. Mexico is much cheaper and in my opinion I received better care. Many health care professionals feel threatened by that. My own family physician was not happy when I told him I went to Mexico but then I shared my experience and he saw the results so now he is more willing to accept that you can get good care. You will be very pleasantly surprised at the excellent care you can receive in TJ, Monterey, and other places who cater to american weight loss surgery patients and do not have to deal with restrictive HMO rules or insurance issues. They have more time to spend with you, the patient. Just do your research and talk to some of the bandsters on the many boards out there. You will quickly learn which docs have the biggest fans and which do not.

please explain any complications or issues you had with them im trying to make a informed decision:nervous

I used Dr. Huacuz and found plenty of research on him through the forum and others... all positive. I didn't have any complications or issues. They were forthright with all the information.

Someone wrote about a very bad experience with Dr. Ortiz. The thread is

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f11/mexico-38588-new/

On page 3.

I was really shocked as I thought Dr. Ortiz to be a good doctor (just not good at post-op). He does have a booming business in TJ. I had originally planned to go to him after research but changed over to Dr. Gonzales.

Of course I do favor my doc. because I had such a good experience with him & his team. And I haven't heard any complaints from anyone who used him.

There is a lot of stuff going on about 'patient co-ordinators' who get money for bringing in new clients. I don't know how to tell who is and who isn't a patient co-ordinator. After I'd read the story about Dr. Ortiz, I took it to be true. Later I wondered if patient co-ordinators make up bad stories about doctors????? I did check out the handle and this was her first post.

Enlighten me if anyone knows anything?

I have heard that Dr. Aceves is awesome. He is in Mexicali, Mexico. I am considering him now.

I really don't think that was a fraudulent post. As I said before on the original thread, I found an earlier post from her on Dr. Ortiz's forum so you can see her problem developing. I think her reaction to her bad experience was assigning blame where there was none, and her expectation that she was going to be reimbursed because she had a bad reaction to the anaesthetic (which it sounded like she had had before in an earlier experience prior to her LBS) was unrealistic. When American surgeons do work but the patient DIES do you think they reimburse the family?? NOT! She had a bad reaction which caused a lot of vomiting, which caused a severe band slippage. Unfortunate, but not necessarily reflecting on the surgeon's ability.

I know a number of people who have had surgery with Dr Ortiz and think he's the best. There are other good ones out there too.

I really don't think that was a fraudulent post. As I said before on the original thread, I found an earlier post from her on Dr. Ortiz's forum so you can see her problem developing. I think her reaction to her bad experience was assigning blame where there was none, and her expectation that she was going to be reimbursed because she had a bad reaction to the anaesthetic (which it sounded like she had had before in an earlier experience prior to her LBS) was unrealistic. When American surgeons do work but the patient DIES do you think they reimburse the family?? NOT! She had a bad reaction which caused a lot of vomiting, which caused a severe band slippage. Unfortunate, but not necessarily reflecting on the surgeon's ability.

I know a number of people who have had surgery with Dr Ortiz and think he's the best. There are other good ones out there too.

That's really interesting to know. There's a lot of bitter people out there who blame their own stuff on others. Like her blaming Dr. Ortiz.:ranger:

<p>I figure she' s just been through hell the last few weeks, so I would be willing to cut her a bit of slack. Unfortunately, we get excited about our successes and say what a wonderful experience it all was getting banded, but we need to remember it is surgery and things can go wrong.</p>

Her story is also a reminder of the main downside of Mexican surgery: if something does go wrong, your surgeon is a long distance away and US hospitals may be less than sympathetic since you had it done in Mexico. I'm not advising against it, since my husband, daughter and I have all been banded by Dr Ortiz. However, the risk is there.

<p>I figure she' s just been through hell the last few weeks, so I would be willing to cut her a bit of slack. Unfortunately, we get excited about our successes and say what a wonderful experience it all was getting banded, but we need to remember it is surgery and things can go wrong.</p>

Her story is also a reminder of the main downside of Mexican surgery: if something does go wrong, your surgeon is a long distance away and US hospitals may be less than sympathetic since you had it done in Mexico. I'm not advising against it, since my husband, daughter and I have all been banded by Dr Ortiz. However, the risk is there.

I guess so much of the reason we go to Mexico for surgery and risk having our USA hospitals reject us if something goes wrong, is the cost of malpractice insurance.

But, I feel that I had better surgery in MX than I would have in the states.

snowbird would you recommend Ortiz? have heard many pros and cons about him. Whats your experience and how much did you pay?

Yes, I would. His clinic is very clean and well run; he has a lot of experience, and his assistants and nurses are provide great care. My husband, daughter and I all have had surgery with him. Cost is $8500 which includes van to and from San Diego airport, hotel for the patient for two nights and guests/family members for three nights, all pre op testing, nutritional advice, and fills (he charges $100 for fluoro, so the fills aren't exactly free). All three of us have had good experiences with him.