Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Meeting with Nutritionist soon...What to expect???

Hi, just a few questions. I have my first appointment with my nutritionist next week, and I’m not really sure what exactly to expect. I’m assuming that this is the appointment that I find out how much I need to lose before surgery, or if I need to just maintain. Initially my BMI was 40 and PCP put me on Phentermine, along with referring me over to my surgeon, but the appointment was a month out, and I saw my PCP again before even seeing the surgeon(I have 2nd day of the month appts with my PCP), so I spent a month on the Phen, and I lost 11 pounds in that month..the last few days of my script it started to make nauseous and I would vomit at least once or twice so I stopped taking it, and now I’ve gained that weight back, well not all of it,about 5lbs give or take. I’m afraid that the gain might be an issue, has anyone taken Phen or had this problem??

Also, my surgeon told me to be mindful of how much weight I lost pre-op because too much loss could disqualify me from having the surgery...after I told my surgeons nurse about the weight gain she brushed it off, said that was why she hated weight loss pills, because you can lose while on them, but not much, and you can’t take them forever, and as soon as you come off the weight comes back. Phen worked, but as soon as I came off, I mean within days I started gaining back.

My experience with my nutritionist wasn't about my weight at all. Instead, it was about what I put in my mouth. Sure, they're related, but it was a different emphasis. Good luck & let us know how it goes!

My experience with my nutritionist wasn't about my weight at all. Instead, it was about what I put in my mouth. Sure, they're related, but it was a different emphasis. Good luck & let us know how it goes!

Thank you for responding!! The thing is, no one has told me that I need to lose or how much to lose. I’m a little worried about the gain from coming off the pills, even though the nurse didn’t seem bothered by it at all, and I’d heard some people say the NUT is the one that told them what to lose..my weight fluctuates between the 240s and 250s. I just feel like it will look bad on my paperwork.lol.

Phentermine can cause rapid or irregular heartbeat, delirium, panic, psychosis, and heart failure. It's kinda like legal speed...not super healthy. Works great...for a short time.

The group I go to warns against it and doesn't prescribe it. They think it has more risks than benefits.

A great deal of emphasis at the nutritionist will be placed on documenting everything you eat.

You'll talk about goal weight, target calories per day, exercise goals per day. You'll talk about smaller plates, avoiding processed and fried foods....looking for foods with less fat and more Protein.< /span>

You'll talk about foods you need to avoid and foods you need to increase. You'll talk about Portion Control.

Pretty much weight watchers on steroids. Same information, but a lot more emphasis on journaling everything you eat...and they'll want to see your journal next time, so make sure to follow through. Future visits will include going over your journal and talking about how to improve choices/portions, etc.

As tempting as it is.....don't lie in your food journal. Record the screw-ups, too. it'll help you find healthy substitutions that keep your cravings on track.