Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Could Someone 'Splain This To Me?

I was sleeved in Mexico and, while my surgeon did provide consultation, information and support, some info was conflicting or incomplete. For that, Google is a wonderful thing. ObesityCoverage.com has a wealth of information. When I need perspective from others, I come here. Everyone's experience is sooooo different, no doctor's office can replace those personal stories.

Sent from my SM-G930P using BariatricPal mobile app

@BusyMom945 Wow! That would drive me batshit crazy in about 2.2 seconds! It's a short trip and I have a high performance crazy meter. I'm a planner/"practicer". I was the kid who actually LIKED repetitive piano practice. I used to transcribe my notes 3 times in college just so I could memorize minutia I'd never need. LOL. Compulsive much? Congrats on working your plan and staying in the moment!

@Barbzilla Yes, I'm seeing that all of our plans are so different! And agree, Google is our friend or maybe they're our frenemy...I haven't quite got a definitive on that one yet. But I absolutely 200% (if that's possible) agree that having everyone jump in with their realities is super important to me and to my survival and well being! I soooo do not want for anyone's take away on this topic to be that I think people are uneducated people or that they shouldn't ask their questions here! Cuz God knows, I can read something and study it for weeks and months, and I still need to ask people questions about the material--if for nothing else, clarification and affirmation. Everyone is so super about that on this board!!!

Edited by FluffyChix

[mention=327398]BusyMom945[/mention] Wow! That would drive me batshit crazy in about 2.2 seconds! It's a short trip and I have a high performance crazy meter. I'm a planner/"practicer". I was the kid who actually LIKED repetitive piano practice. I used to transcribe my notes 3 times in college just so I could memorize minutia I'd never need. LOL. Compulsive much? Congrats on working your plan and staying in the moment!
[mention=322880]Barbzilla[/mention] Yes, I'm seeing that all of our plans are so different! And agree, Google is our friend or maybe they're our frenemy...I haven't quite got a definitive on that one yet. But I absolutely 200% (if that's possible) agree that having everyone jump in with their realities is super important to me and to my survival and well being! I soooo do not want for anyone's take away on this topic to be that I think people are uneducated people or that they shouldn't ask they're questions here! Cuz God knows, I can read something and study it for weeks and months, and I still need to ask people questions about the material--if for nothing else, clarification and affirmation. Everyone is so super about that on this board!!!

I'm usually a planner, so it was a little difficult to adjust to, but looking back I see why.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I think it has to do with all the different things people pre-op and post-op are eating. I know when I was fresh out so to speak I see all these peiple eating this and that and think will that work for me and proceed to try it. Be it Keto or Adkins or high fat low carb...so many different "diets" to still try and be on. We are so used to being on "diets" we are still trying to find what "works for us" instead of sticking to what the Dr said would work for us...its a mibd thing not that people are not learning there just seeing what may work for someone else and try that then when it don't we feel like we have failed. Its just getting into the right mindset. Imo anyway and yes I have been there even 15 months out...

Sent from my LGMP260 using BariatricPal mobile app

I was a selfpay and was sleeved July 17th. I have seen my surgeon once for my 2 week postop appt. and I used the top rated surgeon in my state. I saw a NUT during my preop appt at the hospital. The appt lasted 2 hours and 1.5 hours covered the first 2 weeks postop so 30 minutes covered everything else!!!!! Google and this Forum have been my saving grace.

Sent from my VK810 4G using BariatricPal mobile app

I had to go through 6 months of classes and also a pre-op meeting where we covered what was supposed to happen post-op. They gave me a big book of information to reference. My surgeon is very, very good but three different surgeons put this book together and some of the information was contradictory. They also gave ranges for when we were supposed to transition to new food stages, but they didn't tell us how to know which part of the range we fit into. Also, the NUT liked to say things like "no carbs" but not give direct answers when I asked things like "how many calories, Protein, carbs, etc. should I be eating?"

If you had everything spelled out for you, I think you were very lucky. I had a lot of good information, but I was definitely missing some important parts. I have an accountant brain, so I like to know specifics. :)

I didn't have a supervised diet before surgery, but i did receive very clear post op instructions as well as a lot of in person follow up.

If I could give advice to any pre-sleevers (or other bariatric procedures) it would be to choose a surgeon/ surgical center AT LEAST as much on their support, education and follow up as any other factor. This bariatric thing is no joke, it's a lot of work and you may very well need the support in the long run.

My insurance had no requirements other than the BMI or BMI and comorbidities. My surgeon did require 2 nutrition classes and a pre-op class.

I know what to and to not do.

You just can't cure stupid.

I think some people that are not used to cooking may also have a bit of a hard time as far as preparing their food post op and that’s where some of the questions come from.

For instance a “soft” diet has a technical definition of which most people are unaware. The same as “creamed” Soup does not mean only cream of chicken, etc but it the method of preparing the soup....

Many people became obese due to an over abundance of highly processed and fast food items in their diets. Cooking real food can be a whole new confusing experience for some.

17 minutes ago, KimTriesRNY said:

I think some people that are not used to cooking may also have a bit of a hard time as far as preparing their food post op and that’s where some of the questions come from.

For instance a “soft” diet has a technical definition of which most people are unaware. The same as “creamed” Soup does not mean only cream of chicken, etc but it the method of preparing the soup....

Many people became obese due to an over abundance of highly processed and fast food items in their diets. Cooking real food can be a whole new confusing experience for some.

Great points!!!

I promise I'm not judging anyone. I promise, this isn't in response to any particular thread already existing on this forum.
I'm genuinely confused. I "think" in the US that most of us who are in programs paid by insurance, must go through a supervised weight loss period prior to insurance approval. It ranges from 3-6 months or even longer--maybe even a year or more? During that time, in my plan at least, we painstakingly go over my doc's pre-op and post-op diet regimen along with the Vitamin and Water schedules so that there isn't any doubt about what I'm supposed to be doing at any point in time after surgery.
So how is it that I read all over the internet (not just here on BP) about patients asking what they're supposed to eat immediately post-op, or x days post-op, or x weeks?
I swear how I don't understand this scenario? Is it different if you're self-pay maybe? I'm sure it's quite diff if you have surgery out of the country through Medical Tourism, perhaps? Do surgeons really put their patients through this life-changing, anatomy-altering surgery without fully explaining what to do once the surgery's over? It just seems so scary larry sketchy...as in a recipe for disaster!?
So confused and concerned about these peeps! :mellow::blink::wacko::unsure::huh: (don't mind me...I'm easily amused by the googly eyes on these guys!)
kthanxbye.

I was very fortunate to have two insurances when I started my journey. My primary required 6 months of "nutrition counseling" which consisted of a monthly call in to a nutritionist to discuss my diet history, habits, and plans for after surgery. I ended up only having two months of this as I lost my primary insurance when I retired.

My husband's insurance did not have that same requirement, however, my surgeon's office has quite a rigorous program. I had several preop visits with my surgeon, three required nutritionist visits, and received detailed postop instructions including diet phases. Postoperatively, I had a one week, two week, one month, and six months visits. I also have monthly calls from a bariatric nurse which is required by my current insurance. It is very helpful to talk with her as she has also gone through this process.

I have had fast food once since my surgery and could only eat part of the burger patty. bread seems to fill me up fast so I don't eat much. I used to be a Diet Coke fiend and haven't had this since surgery. I seem to have list my taste/cravings for fast food.

I'm seven months out and continue to follow my program. I faithfully log all my food & Water intake and I journal daily. I'm not perfect and have had some instances where I've eaten too much which makes me SO uncomfortable! But all in all I'm happy with my progress.

Surgery - RNY GBP
Surgery Date - 5/16/2017
HW - 368
SW - 352
GW - 150

Sent from my Note Edge

Just to throw yet another perspective into the mix... I'm in Canada and the program I'm in is considerably longer than what I've seen most post here. I went to my first info session in May of this year, and I've had an appointment a month since... each with different people (my assigned nurse, surgeon, nutritionist, mental health, etc.). I *think* I have 3 or maybe 4 more months until I sign my surgical waivers, and then I wait for my surgery date. I'm not sure what to expect post-op, but I imagine I'll still be having monthly appointments for a while. The one thing I'm getting from all of the medical staff is that they focus on one stage at a time... they don't like to talk about the next stage until you're there. It's challenging for me, because I like to have time to prep mentally for what's coming. But it does mean that I have less to distract me from this part of the journey.

My program was 90 days when I went into it. You had to see the NUT 3 times (though I saw her 4 times because I was in the program 5.5 months because I chose to push my surgery date back), go to 6 support meetings, do 3 meetings with the Bariatric NP for psych eval and then see the surgeon twice. They have since changed the program to 6 months and require an exercise component ( 6 sessions of guided exercise at their facility).

I still felt lost even though we got a packet for post surgery diets. There were ranges for advancement and I'm someone who likes definite. Also it was vague on what was allowed and what wasn't within a stage. I had to call my nut a number of times.

This has become a huge moneymaker for many hospitals and medical centers. insurance companies drive the standard of care rather than the protocols I always thought sticky Buns were deadly!

On 12/16/2017 at 12:30 PM, FluffyChix said:

I promise I'm not judging anyone. I promise, this isn't in response to any particular thread already existing on this forum.

I'm genuinely confused. I "think" in the US that most of us who are in programs paid by insurance, must go through a supervised weight loss period prior to insurance approval. It ranges from 3-6 months or even longer--maybe even a year or more? During that time, in my plan at least, we painstakingly go over my doc's pre-op and post-op diet regimen along with the Vitamin and Water schedules so that there isn't any doubt about what I'm supposed to be doing at any point in time after surgery.

So how is it that I read all over the internet (not just here on BP) about patients asking what they're supposed to eat immediately post-op, or x days post-op, or x weeks?

I swear how I don't understand this scenario? Is it different if you're self-pay maybe? I'm sure it's quite diff if you have surgery out of the country through Medical Tourism, perhaps? Do surgeons really put their patients through this life-changing, anatomy-altering surgery without fully explaining what to do once the surgery's over? It just seems so scary larry sketchy...as in a recipe for disaster!?

So confused and concerned about these peeps! :mellow::blink::wacko::unsure::huh: (don't mind me...I'm easily amused by the googly eyes on these guys!)

kthanxbye.

I'm probably repeating what others have said, but the forum is being wonky and not letting me access past page one, so here goes:

My insurance only required that my surgeon recommend the surgery. I first met with the surgeon on 10/04 and will be going in for surgery on 12/28. That time frame includes waiting one month for my NUT visit and one month for my upper GI and EKG. Without those two wait periods I probably could have been in at least a month a go.

The program I am going through does require sign off by the nutritionist (and she often has people come in at least 3 times). It also requires psych and at least two pre-op approved support group meetings. (These things are regardless of insurance requirements.) Both the group and my NUT provided really great information. That said, I'm a researcher and have gotten much of my info from the web before even having any of those meetings. My being well-informed and pro-active shortened my time with my NUT (just one visit). Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I could argue both sides.

In any case, I think my point was that it's just so much information for someone to take in, and there is a difference between reading about it and doing it. I have no pre-op diet requirement (other than the day before) and I have not been diligent about practicing some of the new habits I have to become comfortable with. I don't kid myself into thinking this is going to be easy, but I can see how some folks move into this without getting (as in "getting it") all the details they need, and not really through any fault of their program.

Wow that was long winded!