Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my vsg on 11/3/2017 and in my first 2 weeks, I lost 17 pounds which was great. I as some issues so I was limited to chicken broth, Premier Protein shakes, apple juice, tea and Gatorade. Then when I was supposed to move into phase 2, I started taking Prilosec and zofran but couldn't have much more besides the occasional soft boiled egg, butternut squash & grits. I had to stay on liquids because I was vomiting often and had severe heart burn from even the simplest things like Water. I'm now on week 5 and I vomit daily. The doctor isn't too concerned. I'm moving around because I work in retail so I'm on my feet during the day. But I stopped losing weight & I can't understand why because I'm barely eating. In fact, I'm consistently vomiting.

Should I be tracking my calories? Is this just the standard 3 week stall everyone talks about? I'm not eating "food" yet so why wouldn't I have a deficit? I can finally tolerate Water without heartburn so I'm trying to get as much as I can in. But what else could I be doing? I'm also constipated and I can't seem to get my system moving. This wasn't a problem at first but now I get tired and dizzy sometimes and that's starting to concern me.

Any suggestions to get my body back to normal? No more vomiting? Bowels moving? And how can I get the weight loss going again?

I can't speak to the vomiting - that's a question for your surgeon. But as for the others - yes, it's likely the infamous three-week stall, and yes - Constipation is a chronic problem for many of us. Just try to keep on top of it. Some of us take Miralax every day, some take magnesium, some use stool softeners, some drink Smooth Move tea, some use some combination of things. Just figure out what works for you and keep on it.

Dehydration can cause the dizziness as well as lack of nutrition. You don't state how many grams of Protein or liquids you are consuming. A deficit of either will also cause the stall to last longer.

If you work retail, how often are you able to eat/drink during your shift? You need something every hour to drink and every 3 to eat in these early stages. How is urine ouput and color?

Try warm tea, or popsicles for Fluid or crystal light half and half w a clear Protein Drink in a thermal cup.

Frequent vomiting is not normal. Are you sipping your fluids or trying to chug them similar to what you did pre-WLS? Have you seen the surgeon in person to discuss your vomiting or just spoken to his office staff about it? I’m worried about you. Is there another physician you can talk to about this issue?

I try to get as much as I can in for liquids and Protein but it's difficult with the vomiting. I get at least 40g of protein in day & 24 oz of Water (I try to drink other things too.) Today was really tough because I threw up 3 times. It's most difficult if I eat and then drive & im nauseous the whole ride, trying to hold my food down. I take Prilosec & Zofran daily but I'm still vomiting often and I hate it. Also why wouldn't I lose weight if I'm throwing up so often? (Not that I want to lose weight this way).

I cant eat anything solid anymore. I'm trying not to regret this but it's getting harder every day. I'd rather be over weight than this honestly. What can I do?

So sorry Dianna that you are so sick with this surgery 🤐💖. I would keep calling the surgeon's office about the vomiting issue. Maybe a medication change? IDK, just sending hugs.

Push your Dr into checking your vomiting out. I went thru that and I ended up with Strictures. I had 5 Endoscopes with 4 Dialations. Strictures are kind of like scar tissue, it makes it hard to eat or drink, then you vomit. Mine started right away. My PA wanted to do an Endoscope right after my RNY. This continued from Nov of 2013, Dec of 2013 again July 2014 with the last one being Jan of 2015. It is very common I guess, it is an easy fix. They put you to sleep and then you wake up and get to go home. Easy peasy. But do mention this to your DR. Good Luck

16 hours ago, DianaBanana86 said:

I try to get as much as I can in for liquids and Protein but it's difficult with the vomiting. I get at least 40g of Protein in day & 24 oz of Water (I try to drink other things too.) Today was really tough because I threw up 3 times. It's most difficult if I eat and then drive & im nauseous the whole ride, trying to hold my food down. I take Prilosec & Zofran daily but I'm still vomiting often and I hate it. Also why wouldn't I lose weight if I'm throwing up so often? (Not that I want to lose weight this way).

I cant eat anything solid anymore. I'm trying not to regret this but it's getting harder every day. I'd rather be over weight than this honestly. What can I do?

I had RNY 11/7 . Did great in the hospital, came home on a Thursday and started vomiting all night, trying to keeping drinking. Called my surgeon, they prescribed me nausea Patches along with the solutab. Drink, drink, drink, vomit, vomit, vomit. Called back Monday, had to go in for fluids. Want me to drink nothing but Gatorade, keeping nothing down. Had to go back Wednesday & Thursday for fluids, and barium swallow test that Friday. Turns out I had a blockage in my intestine, and constantly refluxing, vomiting. All the Fluid I was trying to get down was just backing up & out. Finally the following Monday the blockage passed on it's own. I lost 20 lbs. In those 2 weeks, have only lost 3 lbs. since. But, I feel great now, couple weeks behind schedule, but so relieved to feel good again. Please follow up with your surgeons office, hopefully you will feel better soon. Keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-G925V using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks for all the support.

So I went for a GI series and the radiologist said that it looks like the bottom of my new stomach sinches and is narrower at the bottom. So he explained maybe I've eaten a little too fast and I can't hold too much in my new stomach. He needs to send the tests to the doctor and they need to explain it to me further.

im pretty upset. I don't know if this wasn't a healing issue or a surgical mistake but the radiologist made it clear that my stomach was narrower than normal. I really think I regret this. I can't eat and I stopped losing and I feel crappy and I vomit all the time? This isn't what I signed up for.

So sorry you don't have a quick fix, I would bug the heck out of the surgeon on this until you get a better solution. The gastro may or may not be the best at analyzing the sleeve?!? I would ask to see the picture of the test and get an appt w the surgeon ASAP. I would demand to see the surgeon based on your constant vomiting. Good luck.

Wow! Sorry you're struggling! I recall reading about some of the post-opers who are severely dehydrated.

1. They get nauseated and vomit regularly.

2. I just heard Dr. Alvarez's podcast where he said if you're dehydrated, then your sleeve dries out and get's "sticky" and food sticks, you feel bad, eat less...etc.

I too am concerned for you. But I also know from when I worked in a hospital that the rule of thumbs is every time you vomit, you need to replace 4oz per hour of fluids to offset the loss of fluids in the vomitus.

It kinda sounds to me like you're super duper dehydrated and need to fix this problem first. If it were me, I'd literally take off 2-3 days from work and do nothing but sip, sip, sip. I'd go back to liquids (maybe even clear liquids/clear proteins) until my fluids were routinely 64oz (at this point...cuz you know, you're a month out and should be at 60+oz per day. I believe that if you get hydrated, maybe some of the nausea can resolve.

Maybe you're not constipated--if you're not eating? Hydration helps Constipation. Maybe I'd try some MOM, but mainly I'd do hydration and broth/bouillon and clear Proteins.< br />
Hope you feel better soon! Oh and I'd call your doc!!!

Edited by FluffyChix

I'm sorry you are having a rough time. Stay on top of your Surgeon, bug them if you need to, in case they have to repair the stomach issue. Though it is possible it might just be from swelling too I assume.

As for being stalled it could be a number of factors. 1) the normal 3 week stall could be effecting your weight loss 2) it might be the lack of calories your consuming. The lower the calories I intake the worse my weightloss is and 3) it could be dehydration.