Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

JulieNYC's Lateral Thigh Lift and Brachioplasty

Well, I thought it was time to leave the old TT thread and start a separate one for my lateral thigh lift and brachioplasty that are coming up on November 8th. I figured months and years down the road, it'll be easier for someone considering the different procedures to find info if the threads are appropriately titled, so I'll have a thread for this surgery, and then probably another for the medial thighs and mons lift that I have planned for December 20th (assuming all goes well with the recovery from the November 8th surgeries).

As backgound for anyone who hasn't followed my first round of PS, I had an extended TT and breast lift on March 28, 2007, approximately 11 months after my band was placed. I am 5'2 (when I stand very very tall!) and I started at 358 lbs. I was at 199 when I had the first PS, which was somewhat controversial because obviously 199 isn't goal for someone who is 5'2. I went ahead with it because my pannus was so large and completely in my way in terms of exercise and the timing coincided with a job change, which gave me the time off I needed. Plus, I'm in the fortunate position of having a father who is a plastic surgeon, so cost wasn't too much of a concern (it's not free, but it's close) if and when I needed a revision (which, BTW, I do need).

Lateral Thighs

OK, so November 8th. The lateral thigh lift is the last MAJOR surgery I'll likely have from my morbid obesity. It's a very big surgery, particularly for me because I have an extreme amount of excess skin on my legs and bottom. Basically, they will re-open my TT scar on the sides and continue it around until it nearly makes a circle, as if I was wearing a belt. Then they pull up the outer thigh and butt. I'm expected to lose about 5-7 lbs in skin. It's not expected that I'll need any Lipo in conjunction because I'm supposedly quite thin, but for the skin (or so they tell me). Supposedly there will be some improvement to the inner (medial) thighs as well, but they do think it's a near certainty that I'll want a separate operation for that, even though the scar is bad and many people would rather live with the excess skin. Mine is extreme enough that they think the scar will be outweighed by the improvement. Medials will likely be December 20th, along with a mons lift.

Brachioplasty (arm lift)

As for the brachioplasty (arm lift), I've been working out my arms for 2 years with a trainer my muscles are really great (if I say so myself!). I toyed with not having the arms done. Like the medial thighs, the scar is really bad if you're not a candidate for having them done through the arm pit (my hang is all the way to the elbow, so I'm not a candidate). Once again, my Dad said that the scar is bad, but that my extra skin is bad enough to justify it. If my Dad weren't the PS, I don't know if I would be having the arms done. I trust him completely when he says it will be worth it. I guess it's that I know the extra skin is bad, it's just that the legs are SO SO bad that I don't question them for a moment. the arms, well, I usually wear sleeves and they just don't bother me as much. Anyway, I'm doing it. As it can be done in conjunction with the lateral thighs, there's not much more surgical risk, so that's the plan.

I will post pictures along the journey, including before shots. 16 days in counting. I expect this will take me from being a size 6P to a size 2P (on bottom) -- something I truly can't fathom as I still see a heavy girl when I look in the mirror. I don't know if my top (4P) will change a size or not. Probably not. My rib cage is large for my frame and I don't find myself not buying things because they're too small in the arms -- they're more likely to not zip up the side, etc.

So there we have it. This forum was such a major source of support during my first round of PS. I look forward to sharing this journey with you as well.

To be continued....

Julie - Thanks for starting this thread. I'm looking forward to all your updates. With any luck, I'll be having brachioplasty by the end of the year, so I want to hear about your experiences first. Good luck with everything.

Exciting stuff! Good luck with it, although its a few weeks yet.

You cause me pain, Jackie! (wink)

It's not a "few weeks yet" -- it's 2 weeks 1 day and 12 hours! Hahaha. I could put that in minutes for you, if you'd like!

(Excited, anyone? Uhm, yeah, maybe just a little!)

I am so excited for you. Thanks for starting the new thread. Now if only you could convince your father to give us all a small (OK Large) "friends of the family" discount. Just kidding, well if only for the fact that the flight to NY would probably negate any possible discount I could ever hope you might talk him into.

What I really wish is my doc would give me some kind of referral bonus for every patient I was able to successfully get to use him. I think I could seriously increase his business and recoup my expenses given a little effort. Who knows maybe there might be a small chance at some sort of extra discount off a future surgery or a rebate on my existing one if all turns out well and I can talk him into using me in some sort of advertising material. I'm not too modest to turn it down for the right price. Wouldn't even have to cost him much if he'd waive his fee and do my inner thighs or arms for just the facility fee.

I think there's probably an ethical wall for referral bonuses between patients and doctors. I've never thought about that before, but for lawyers there is....

I bet we can come up with some other lapband related ideas to pay for PS, new clothes, etc....

I think there's probably an ethical wall for referral bonuses between patients and doctors. I've never thought about that before, but for lawyers there is....

I bet we can come up with some other lapband related ideas to pay for PS, new clothes, etc....

I suppose you are right but darn it there are so many other industries that give out referral bonuses. Everything from house alarms, to cell phones & massages. Why not PS? I know can I spell "M A L P R A C T I C E"?

Hi Julie: best wishes to you through all this. I will be watching closely because these are the type of surgeries that I will most likely be needing. I don't think I will need a tt because most of my excess weight has always been below the waist, although in the last few years I have been carrying weight all over. I already have loose skin on my thighs and arms even before the band. I need the inner thighs done, I dread the thought of that surgery. I hear it is very painfull. Was it a hard decision to make? At my age I wonder if much excess skin will reabsorb.

so excited for you and will be looking for updates. Are you having the surgery in NY? How much time do you need to take off of work. For that matter, how much did you have off after the last surgery before your new job?

I am so excited for you and will be interested in your progress. I hope to be where you are someday (soon?).

Thank you for sharing this very personal experience with us bandsters.

Take care,

shelli:ranger: