Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

There is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with fat with the correct foods. You really, really need to educate yourself on nutrition. You're still following the old "diet" mentality of the 70's and 80's.
I lost over 100 pounds and have kept it off for over 3 years and haven't tracked fat at all. When our capacity is so limited, a few healthy fats is actually good for us.
And edited to add:
"Fat free" anything is the most unhealthy crap anyone can eat. It's full of sugar and preservatives to compensate for taste. The fat free trend is why there has been an uptick with obesity in the last couple decades.
We are better off eating real food. Besides, if I'm going to eat cheese, I'm sure the hell not going to waste my limited capacity on fake fat free American cheese!

I don't track fat. Nor buy fat free . But if the majority of a meal is fat then it won't satisfy an individual as much of a meal majority Protein with some fat. This individual is having problems being ful. So if he lowered fat and swapped some of the fat with increased protein then he may be fuller for longer.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

I see your point. And I agree.
UNLESS someone is Keto. Then they advocate something crazy like 65% fat and like 100 grams of Protein. No way someone even a couple years post op could even get enough calories for that!
My point is don't be too afraid of fat. A lot of times, healthy fat and protein go hand in hand, and you can get more bang for your buck with things like nuts.
But I definitely agree it shouldn't be the main percentage of your macros.

I'm very confused by both your post. They seem either irrelevent or that you have confused what the op is saying. This individual is not keto. He is a new bariatric paitent so what has that got to do with anything? Your point is don't be afraid of fat ? Why make that point that poster did not tell anyone to be afraid of fat. All she said to the guy is follow your plan as if we are meant to have protein first how is 60% of a meal being fat following the plan. She didn't say not to have healthy fat with healthy protein. But you definitely agree with the poster so what is your point then ? I am so confused your responses are like your responding to a post I can't see.

Best to get on real food as you can and not follow your surgeons plan ?lol risking a leak that you won't know u have till it's too late ? Mkay goodluck lol

I am following the doctor's plan. liquids for three days post op and then puree and soft foods for 3-4 weeks. Each doctor has different rules. I had surgery in Mexico but am following the nutritional plan of a local bariatric doctor where I live as he will be doing my follow up care. No need to be rude. LOL

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

11 hours ago, dreamingsmall said:

I'm very confused by both your post. They seem either irrelevent or that you have confused what the op is saying. This individual is not Keto. He is a new bariatric paitent so what has that got to do with anything? Your point is don't be afraid of fat ? Why make that point that poster did not tell anyone to be afraid of fat. All she said to the guy is follow your plan as if we are meant to have Protein first how is 60% of a meal being fat following the plan. She didn't say not to have healthy fat with healthy protein. But you definitely agree with the poster so what is your point then ? I am so confused your responses are like your responding to a post I can't see.

Did you see the post where he was advocating cutting the amount of fat the OP was eating? Substituting a mozzerella stick with fat free cheese? That is what my post was referring to.

Even newly post op, fat shouldn't really be a factor. And technically fattier foods and foods higher in protein will keep you satiated longer.

Does that clear up my post? I was just using the 65% as an example of people who follow a Ketogenic diet.

There is a method to my madness, really ;)

Edited by BarbieVSG14

4 minutes ago, BarbieVSG14 said:

Did you see the post where he was advocating cutting the amount of fat the OP was eating? Substituting a mozzerella stick with fat free cheese? That is what my post was referring to.

Even newly post op, fat shouldn't really be a factor. And technically fattier foods and foods higher in Protein will keep you satiated longer.

Does that clear up my post? I was just using the 65% as an example of people who follow a Ketogenic diet.

There is a method to my madness, really ;)

The OP was eating like 60% fat at their meals (especially breakfast) and was still hungry. That's why I suggested reducing fat and increasing protein. Swapping out full fat mozzarella for fat free cheese and going from 2 eggs to one egg plus beaters would be roughly the same amount of calories but with increased protein, satiety, and food volume.

Yes fat will keep you full longer than carbohydrates. But protein will keep you full much much longer per calorie than fat.

I can see where both Mhy and BarbieVSG are coming from. There's nothing catastrophically wrong with 2 eggs and a portion of cheese. Personally those are the kinds of meals I'm having (60-70% fat, 20% protein) with excellent results. If there's any tinkering I would do, maybe substitute the cheese for something denser in Protein per Mhy's suggestion. I agree with BarbieVSG that fat isn't the culprit and the answer is not to find a low fat variant of cheese or egg whites. Again, I think you are starting from a good place subject to some fine tuning to give you the most fullness for calories.

So what's the process or recommendations for actually trying real foods for the first time? ( not food selection, but what actually will happen when I sit down and eat)

I know small bites and wait a few minutes between bites. But how will I know if something disagrees or is an issue ? And what to expect/do if something happens? Dry heaving? Pain? I've read lay down or something? Will I need to take tums or Tylenol or anything?

I know I'm over thinking it and being overly cautious, but it's the first time in over 4 weeks I'll have eaten something more substantive than pudding so I just wanna make sure it's successful. Thanks!

Edited by Mhy12784

3 hours ago, Mhy12784 said:

So what's the process or recommendations for actually trying real foods for the first time? ( not food selection, but what actually will happen when I sit down and eat)

I know small bites and wait a few minutes between bites. But how will I know if something disagrees or is an issue ? And what to expect/do if something happens? Dry heaving? Pain? I've read lay down or something? Will I need to take tums or Tylenol or anything?

I know I'm over thinking it and being overly cautious, but it's the first time in over 4 weeks I'll have eaten something more substantive than pudding so I just wanna make sure it's successful. Thanks!

I think if you chew, chew, chew, take tiny bites, and measure out what you're going to eat so you don't inadvertently over eat, you should be fine. Dr Matthew Weiner (who's YouTube videos are a must watch, by the way) says if it hurts, you're either eating too much or too fast.

Watch for the "full" signals. Some people feel it way up in their esophagus, some people sneeze (yes, really!) and some people's noses start to run. Make sure you STOP there, because one bite more could make you miserable for hours. You feel like you want to explode or vomit just to make that feeling go away! If the food doesn't agree, you'll know. You'll either feel like vomiting or will be on the toilet. Not a lot you can do but lay down and let it pass. It's really a testing period at first.

I was lucky. I've over eaten and been pretty uncomfortable, but have found no food that has ever disagreed with me. I haven't thrown up once in almost 4 years. Sleeve of steel!

eggs are a no go for me since surgery so I don't know how they effect my restriction personally but it's possible that the reason you still feel slightly hungry is because eggs are simply a slider for you. Have you tried adding a meat to the eggs, like a mini omelet, either a ground sausage or beef. It will increase your Protein and add some density to your meal that might help fill you up more. Same with your other meals, try for a denser protein (in the confounds of your plan) and that might help your hunger. I try and hit 90-100 grams of protein a day and I'm female. If I don't, I find myself snacking.

I am another one that does not count fat, my NUT told me absolutely avoid fat free products as they are overly processed junk and limit low fat items so I eat full fat foods most of the time, especially dairy because dairy fat is so good for your brain.

As for the questions about starting foods the best advice I can give is go slow and listen to your body. Introduce foods 1 at a time so you know exactly when bothers you and what sits well. Chew Chew Chew and take your time eating meals. Don't shove it in. If something bothers you, stop eating it and come back to it at a later date (a couple weeks or a month) it may be something you can tolerate later or you might not be able to tolerate at all.

Really wasn't too bad. Ate about 1/3rd of a scrambled egg in about 22 minutes after giving up. Definitely could have eaten more comfortably but had no idea what to expect.

Only thing is I think I put a little too much pepper (like salt and pepper) which was a TINYYYY bit irritating to my throat but other than that all seems well. If I get through the next half hour unscathed I think it'll be safe to say it's a success

What would happen if I tried something too soon, but tried like an extremely small serving (ie two bites)

I tolerated eggs very well but would love some soft ground beef. I know people say wait forever for beef, but what if I just tried two bites to see what happens? Would I end up in agony from a serving that small? I know I've read plenty of people having it at 2-4 weeks, but I've also read about it being one of those foods that takes some people like 6 months. Is one or two bites enough to ruin a whole evening?

Edited by Mhy12784

What would happen if I tried something too soon, but tried like an extremely small serving (ie two bites)
I tolerated eggs very well but would love some soft ground beef. I know people say wait forever for beef, but what if I just tried two bites to see what happens? Would I end up in agony from a serving that small? I know I've read plenty of people having it at 2-4 weeks, but I've also read about it being one of those foods that takes some people like 6 months. Is one or two bites enough to ruin a whole evening?

For me. One or two bites of something I shouldn't have yet would ruin my evening night and morning. Eek my poor tummy lol.i would wait.

23 minutes ago, dreamingsmall said:

For me. One or two bites of something I shouldn't have yet would ruin my evening night and morning. Eek my poor tummy lol.i would wait.

Yikes

Glad for the heads up

I just assumed that like 99% of problems were too much, too fast, or too big of bites (or adding liquids inappropriately)

Got a feeling I'll be using Protein Shakes as a crutch much longer than anticipated

I just started week 7 and i have eaten ground beef a few times with no problems, usually in a lettuce wrap with refried Beans, only get about 4-5 good bites and Im done. I can eat pretty much any Protein without any problems.