Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One week post-op update

Well when I wake up I will be one week post-op. Complications since surgery: Due to bleeding right after surgery my steristrips on port practically fell off the day after surgery. I replaced them with walgreens ones after taking sterilization precautions. Day 5 after surgery I got a fever that peaked around 102. The fever lasted a total of about 13 or so hours then broke and never returned. I had diahrea during this time but that has stopped although bowel movements are quite loose still.

That's about it! Minimal pain and have been very active. During the fever I felt like crap and slept horrible but otherwise it's a billion times better than I expected.

My only remaining side effects from being banded are my abdomen being a tad sore if I move around a lot but it mostly just feels like I bruised myself somehow... like if I bumped into something hard. Not bad at all. My other side effect is when I first stand up I tend to feel like I need to burp REALLY bad... sometimes if I pull if I contract my abdomen muscles I will burp a huge burp and feel great... other times it gradually goes away.

All in all the experience wasn't bad at all other than the nausea immediately after surgery from anesthesia and pain killer.

How is everyone else doing post-op? Anyone else about one week out? How are you feeling? I know I've been lucky post-op and I hope others are getting well fast too! A lot of my fast recovery is probably from being on the lowish end of the band BMI (40) and being 23 years old I'd guess.

i'm doing about the same as you minus the complications. however, i am extremely tired and dizzy.

did you have this and if so when did it go away.

i hate that burping feeling.

I am still having some "discomfort" on my left side, but other than that, I haven't had any other complications. I don't ever have the burping which is good and bad I guess. I go for my 1 week check-up tomorrow. I am excited to see how much I have lost since last week.

It will be a week tomorrow for me and honestly it's been pretty smooth. No real problems and I went back to work today. I felt a little bit weak at first but better as the morning went on. I did leave a couple hours early because I felt like I was getting worn out... no sense in pushing it.

I had Campbells 'Soup at Hand' (velvet potato) tonight for dinner. It took me a couple hours to eat it all but YUMMMM. It was the first warm thing I've had since surgery. I recommend it for anyone looking for a nice full liquid meal. Only 2 grams of Protein, but it was quite tasty!

I'm 3 weeks out now and back to normal activity. Feeling good and no pian anymore. Except in my left shoulder form time to time and I know what that's from! Naughty me!

I'm back on liquids today and intend to stick to the post-op diet for a few good weeks.

I've gotten tired and dizzy a couple times. I took in more Protein and Water and it went away. I think that since I'm getting so few calories that with the healing and all it's easy to not get enough. Also dehydration is super easy. 64 ounces is a LOT to drink when you're not eating real food.

I got really happy just now which is why I got on. My stomach is rumbling and growelling because it is so empty and hasn't even in a couple hours.

BUT, I'm not feeling physical hunger. I'd love something that tastes great and isn't liquid but I don't NEED it. I was going to get some Jello then realized I don't really care to bother with it so I drank Water. Very neat! I know things aren't going to be super easy in the future, especially once I can have 'good' food again, but I can already feel the amazing sensation of the physical hunger not being present when it would normally be.

It is SO NEAT! I am SO excited now! At this point I should be crying for food but I'm mostly just annoyed at my churning stomach. ;) Time for bed! I think I'm about 19 pounds down since I started the pre-op diet. I'm happy about that for sure.

I am a week today. I feel pretty good. Just sore. I went back to work on Monday ( I drive school bus ) The bumps in the road hurt but I am taking it slow. The shakes are getting to me a little but I was thrilled to have cottage cheese for lunch. Who would have thought that we would be thrilled about cottage cheese....LOL. It is soooo nice to have a group of people who understand what you are going through. I wish everyone the best. We are doing something great here.

Bekkie

i found out that my problem is low blood sugar and i have to start taking in some juice to help until i can get a more balanced diet. i will of course have to count those calories.