Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The book... please read

Hi All... I have been thinking a lot about this - so I have decided to do it -

I am compiling a book of recipes that YOU have created (and I have created) for banded folks to hit all the stages of diet.

Clear liquids, Full liquids, Mushies and Solids.

It will have healthy recipes for recently banded and soon to be banded. It will also have conversions for single serving, 2 people, 4 or more, etc. And of course a healthy take on many family favorites - so this brings me to my point -

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to include recipes from all of you, if you would not mind sharing - you will be given FULL CREDIT for your original recipe and a blurb about you will be put in the book (you will have to write this and submit so that you have complete control over what you want to say and the name(real name or screen name) you want to use for the credit for the recipe ;):) )

If you would like to contribute, please reply to this message with your recipe OR EMAIL it to me privately at myhomecookin@gmail.com

Everyone who contributes will get a copy of the printed book.

Please note though - if the recipe is not your original, I must have permission from the recipe's original creator to use it. I can not put copyrighted recipes in the book.

Please email or private message me if you have any questions/concerns. I will put a link on here when it is finished so all online members can get a copy of the free - online book. :nervous

Can't wait to see some of your yummy recipes (yes, I will personally be making all the recipes to try them... yum yum!! :hungry: )

Thanks,

Amy

I think this is a wonderful idea. One thing I would suggest is doing a section on the unpredicibility of the band. I mean that one day you can eat something fine and the next time you try it....no way...not happening. I have found that to be the most frustrating part of this journey. As soon as I think I have figured something out my band changes it's mind. And as you have probably noticed from reading other peoples posts as well as your own experiences, not all the "suggested" foods work for everyone. Like I read one post about not being able to keep tuna fish down. Well I have had that experience as well. One day tuna works well and then next time it's a painful experience. I have been at this for 2 years now and have done really well at times and loved my band and have hated it and "attempted" to rebel against it. I think it would be very helpful for people to know that everyone's band has a mind of it's own and some things will work great and others will not work at all. There are certain things I have come to accept that I will never eat again because of the pain involved in even trying and then I talked to someone that can eat the foods on my "no way" list. Sorry for babbling. It appeared that your recently banded if I remember correctly so please don't let me scare you. I love my band and would do it again in a heart beat but don't be surprised when you have frustrating days....:)

Here's my chili recipe (makes several full-size servings):

1 pound lean ground beef

1 onion, chopped

1 TBS of chopped garlic (I use the pre-chopped garlic that comes in jars)

1 packet of chili seasoning (I use McCormick's)

1 can of original Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilis

1 can of petite-diced tomatoes

1 large can of Tomato sauce

1 can of corn, drained

1 can of kidney Beans, drained (optional)

Brown the meat with the onion and garlic and drain thoroughly. Add the seasoning packet and all other ingredients. Cook on low heat or in a Crock Pot for 4-6 hours for best flavor. Serve plain or with a little shredded cheese or sour cream. Chili can be frozen in individual servings.

I think this is a wonderful idea. One thing I would suggest is doing a section on the unpredicibility of the band. I mean that one day you can eat something fine and the next time you try it....no way...not happening. I have found that to be the most frustrating part of this journey. As soon as I think I have figured something out my band changes it's mind. And as you have probably noticed from reading other peoples posts as well as your own experiences, not all the "suggested" foods work for everyone. Like I read one post about not being able to keep tuna fish down. Well I have had that experience as well. One day tuna works well and then next time it's a painful experience. I have been at this for 2 years now and have done really well at times and loved my band and have hated it and "attempted" to rebel against it. I think it would be very helpful for people to know that everyone's band has a mind of it's own and some things will work great and others will not work at all. There are certain things I have come to accept that I will never eat again because of the pain involved in even trying and then I talked to someone that can eat the foods on my "no way" list. Sorry for babbling. It appeared that your recently banded if I remember correctly so please don't let me scare you. I love my band and would do it again in a heart beat but don't be surprised when you have frustrating days....:)

Great Idea!! I will definitely use it. I heard about the on again off again band tolerance thing - no worries, doesn't scare me... LOL :)

I just can't wait until I get my first fill then maybe I won't be so hungry all the time and actually feel some restriction. Right now, everything goes down like normal.

Hope that makes sense... LOL ...

If you have any other thoughts/suggestions/etc. for the book - please do share. I will gladly give you credit.

Thanks again,

Amy

Here's my chili recipe (makes several full-size servings)

Sounds great!! Is this recipe good for the mushies stage or solids stage? Or would the liquid be good for the liquids phase? (I bet it would be a great liquids phase flavor change... :) )

Thanks again!!!

Amy

I created this while experimenting during my liquids / mushie stage ... I absolutely love it and here 3 months out from surgery I still make it occasionally (having it for lunch today biggrin1.gif)

1 3oz can (drained) Valley Fresh chicken (packed w/ 20g protein!)

2/3 C Las Palmas Green Enchilada Sauce

Blend chicken & enchilada sauce to desired consistency (I use a stick blender and blend it right in the bowl)

Heat in the microwave for 1 minute (or longer depending on your oven)

Top w/ a dallop of sour cream or sprinkle some shredded cheese (or both!)

Mmmm Good! Enjoy! grin.gif

Sounds great!! Is this recipe good for the mushies stage or solids stage? Or would the liquid be good for the liquids phase? (I bet it would be a great liquids phase flavor change... :D )

Thanks again!!!

Amy

I would imagine that it would be okay for a mushies stage, since my nutritionist recommended Wendy's chili for that. But if in doubt, it would definitely be good for the solids stage. I've never tried the liquid for the liquids phase (I didn't really have a liquids phase in my post-op diet), but I would imagine it would taste good.

For mushies stage/or solid as it soothes my taste for Mexican food.

It's an old WW recipe.

1 can of refried Beans

1 can of Rotel (whichever hotness works for you)

1/2 to 1 whole can of chicken broth

Mix together with your favorite seasons: mine are garlic, minced onion, chili power, whatever and eat.

This is a great idea... one thing that i love to make is a tortilla Soup but an easy version... you can blend this also during the liqued puried stage

4 c chicken broth

1 can of cooked chicken meat

1 small jar of salsa (either mild or hot depending on what you like)

1 can of black Beans drained

1 can of corn drained

Depending on your cals. some possible additions for topping it off would be fat free sourcream, fat free cheese, avocado, and some tortilla chips. Personalize it how you like it!

Keep us updated on your book! I cant wait! I havent been able to find many special lapband books. Thanks!!!

Amy,

I have asked my Dietician for something like your book and since lap bands are so very new to my area we have nothing. Our support groups are mostly 98% gastric by pass people. I asked in a support group once if we could have an interactive web site to add recipes for each other. But, for now that's beyond what their web people can do.

So if I invent something tasty I'll send it along to you. Please keep collecting and let us know when and how we can get a copy. I promise to send a copy to our weight management team and maybe it'll be something they tell all their patients to get. GOOOOO You!!

Another thing I was thinking about today is... i get SO TIRED of whatever I make because i feel like i have 20 servings of it! LoL

Here's a few things I really enjoy eating that will make your taste buds wake up.

Anton's chicken Tortilla Soup.< /strong>

1 whole rotisserie chicken ( Lemon Pepper seasoned is a good one )

a jar of Better Than Bouillon chicken flavor

1 bunch of fresh cilantro

concentrated lemon juice or fresh squeezed lemon juice to taste.

A frozen veggie of your choice, (traditional veggie is corn )

Strip all the chicken meat from the bones until all thats left is a sad carcass. Try to create small peices.

Put into a medium pot or slow cooker, cover with Water and add chicken bouillon.

Bring to a simmer and stir chicken, this will help the meat to shred finely. ( In a slow cooker the shred can happen at the end )

When chicken is shredded add the fresh cilantro, then add the lemon until you reach a nice tangy taste that you like. ( Some folk like it tangier than others )

Put about a cup of frozen veggie into a bowl and top with fresh hot soup. The hot soup will defrost the veggie and the frozen veggie will cool down the soup so you can start to eat it right away. You can of course top this with low-fat cheese or sour cream.

Store the rest in fridge or freeze individual portions to reheat at a later date.

------------------------------------------

Cheesecake's Cousin

1/2 cup of low fat ricotta cheese

1 tsp. of vanilla or almond extract

1 tbsp of crushed nut of your choice

1 packet of sugar substitute ( Splenda is very good! )

1 tbsp of non dairy topping

Combine all ingredients until well blended. Top with non dairy topping and enjoy. You can also add a tsp of carob powder or coco powder to make a chocalatey version