Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did your appetite return post op?

Hello!

I had Gastric Sleeve 10 almost 11 weeks ago, and at first I could barely eat a thing, I had absolutely no appetite at all so I ate very little and often had really bad stomach pains and sick feeling from not eating. I've been able to eat more so thats not an issue now, but I am starting to find myself getting hungry.

Most people i've spoken to said they didn't get an appetite back for months some even a year post op. Most days I don't really have an appetite but some days I do.

Today in particular, its crazy i'm so hungry, I haven't been this hungry at all since surgery but for some reason today I have such a strong appetite and i'm trying my very best to control it so I don't overeat! I know its not thirst, as I have already had over 1L of Water today!

Did anyone else get like this?

My appetite didn't return until between the 8th and 9th month post-op.

The major exception was that time of month. During ovulation I'd develop cravings for salty carbohydrate foods; however, cravings differ from appetite. They're 2 entirely different concepts.

It is only during that time of the month to do I crave or even have an appetite. Most times, I am having to remember if I ate or not.

5 days post op and I was hungry...physically hungry. Now 5 months post op, and still get physically hungry, soooo.....I just need to say, it's ok to be physically hungry! :) That's a cue your body needs fuel.

I am 5 months post op. I have very little appetite typically. It’s more like a signal that says time to eat every 2-3 hours.

Every now and then I am hungry all the time. It seems to happen after a phase of rapid weight loss. The past 2 weeks I lost 10 lbs then I was hungry all the time. I just ate according to plan. Then after two days of that I am not hungry any more.

When I am hungry my calories get up to about 1000 so I don’t sweat it.

I think there are more hormones at play here than we know or the doctors tell us about.

I am almost at 11 weeks as well, and I will admit, my appetite has increased since just after surgery. I was only able to eat 4 ounces of food just six or seven weeks ago, and now I could eat six or seven ounces per sitting now. The more Protein I have, though, the less I need to feel content. I say content, because I've never eaten enough to feel full yet. I am afraid of stretching out my stomach if that is even a possibility. I also don't want to make myself sick.

Anyway, I am good with about five ounces if I have at least three ounces of protein. If I just eat a salad, another veggie, or a grain like quinoa for a meal, I can put down seven ounces. I am not complaining about that though.

Company and department dinner/luncheon season is quickly approaching, and it is nice that I can finish a small garden salad to help avoid the questions as to why I'm not eating...Especially since nobody knows that I've had surgery. ;)

One month in I started feeling hungry again. At 4 months I started feeling tiny little stomach grumbles. I can feel how small my sleeve is because I can physically feel the size of it when it grumbles. Granted, my hunger is nowhere near where it was pre-op, but it's just enough to keep me from gaining weight. I have to fight against my hunger to actually lose weight.

I’m also 10 weeks post op, will be 11 on Monday. I too get hungry, especially if I work out early morning. I find myself eating too quickly and then feel lousy. Tho it only takes a few bites to be full, I definitely get hungry. I need to be better about keeping my blood sugar more consistent like eating a cheese stick between meals. This would help keep myself from getting too hungry and then trying to eat too much too fast and then feel icky

Sleeved 8/7 HW: 256 SW: 248
CW: 213 @ 10 weeks post op 5'7" GW: 150

3.5 weeks out and I've been hungry almost the whole time. It's a different feeling of hunger but it's definitely physical and not "head" hunger. I ignore it for the most part, and keep drinking. I was really hoping it would go away, like I've heard.