Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

RNY surg tomorrow! Is Getting Cold Feet Normal?

Ok so tomorrows the big day for me & the last few days I've found myself, well.. to the point I am having a lot of (excess?) concern & questioning myself on surgery...can this sort of thinking be normal sometimes before a big surgery? I should point out, I've never been in surgery before, never been under general anesthesia before. Im really afraid of something going wrong. Maybe part of it comes from that-never having had any surgery experience. Nonetheless, wondering if anyone has gone through any similar sort of psychological thought process earring their surgery day. Am I feeling a NORMAL sense of fear & anxiety considering the extent of surgery which lay before me?

I've been on this wt loss journey for a very long time & never questioned having surgery once. Never! So why am I feeling so apprehensive now!? Please share thoughts!??

Hi! Yes, it is totally normal! That happened to me too! Even when was not only for the weight!!!

i was diabetic, overwight and with Barrett !!! The worst thing it was i can not have pills for the diabetes because I had reactions...I did not have other way but I was thinking do I need to do it???

It is a difficult but you will feel better after a while... it is not an easy way!!! You have to learn to eat again!!! But you will lose your weight!!!

Now I have my sugar levels normal and I lost 37 pounds since my surgery!!! I just have 2 months !!!

Lots of luck in your surgery!!!

Thank you! That's so comforting!!!🙏🏼 Wow 37 pounds is awesome! Good job! I only hope things go as well for me!!

Yes it is very common. If you haven't already done this make sure you have a good photograph of yourself taken. Many times we are blind to our obesity. We do not see ourselves. Therefore when the weight begins to drop off rather dramatically, we question if this is really happening. Photographs are a good visualization of our success. Many people carry a before and after photo with them, just to remind themselves of their success.

15 minutes ago, RNY-Fall-2017 said:

Thank you! That's so comforting!!!🙏🏼 Wow 37 pounds is awesome! Good job! I only hope things go as well for me!!

15 minutes ago, RNY-Fall-2017 said:

I am sure all is going to be ok!!! Only follow the instructions... lots of luck!!!

I just had my surgery the same day as you, and I thought I was going to vibrate my leg through the floor from shaking with nervous energy! I hope everything went well and that you are feeling ok!!!! Congrats!

Hope things went well! Can't wait for your update. Was the worry worth it? :)

I hope surgery went well for you yesterday! How are you feeling? I get to go home in the morning once I show I can drink my 4oz cups 4x per hour.

Thanks for the thoughts & keeping me in mind guys! Surgery was great. Had some complications, however. Temp went from 99 degrees to 102.6 post op day 4. I have ATELECTASIS it turns out. (An area of one of my lungs didn’t reinflate) after I was taken off the ventilator during anesthesia. This can turn into pneumonia, so pushing myself hard to do every single thing I’m supposed to perfectly. Also had pain with bending over immediately post-op, the pain is deep inside & the surgeon told me it’s due to the way he overlapped the muscle he stitched back together. This seems to be getting a little better now that I’m on day 5 however. Diarrhea is chronic is was always explosive & now just chronic. Also, STRANGELY,I did not pass gas what so ever while in the hospital! No bowel sounds til mere hours before discharge too! No shoulder pain either! Was quite cool!!! I did however walk the halls at least a 50 times Ide say. I walked each hall about every hour to three hours at least 2 times as well as throughout the night at like 1am & 3am like a freakin’ mad woman!!! And that wasn’t due to gas pains or shoulder pain, just to mitigate chances of a blood clot! Anyway, still ended up that I have this lung issue now and also due to the bodies natural stress levels from surgery, I have hundreds of cold sores on my lips going up to my nose. I’m taking a Lysine (amino acid) several times/day which is greatly helping. Otherwise, I’m just sleepier an Normal. I do not need pain meds though I have them on hand.

Oh, attaching the 2 inch gall stone and my gall bladder pics! I had 2 big surgeries done- not just one. And to think the surgeon wasn’t even going to take out my gallbladder! So glad I asked for a gallbladder ultrasound before my gastric bypass surgery! I would have ended up going under anesthesia again in maybe a matter of days with s gallstone they huge!

06670C6A-70FC-459E-A75E-1AF149FCD400.jpeg

796F701C-478A-4D5B-A059-0AB665BA0C54.jpeg

I wonder how you been doing... hope everything is great and having a great recovery. Best of luck!

“There will be obstacles. There will be doubters. There will be mistakes. But with hard work, there are no limits.” —Michael Phelps

Guys!!!!!! I’m doing AWESOME guys!!! Thank you!! I feel so great! And GUESS WHAT!! Ive list 21 pounds!! Yep! I started at my highest weight ever of 242. Then after the all Fluid diet I went into surgery at 227 lbs, (be sure to use low/no sodium broths!!!!!!!) then at post op week 1 visit I was 223lbs!!!! I’ve lost a pound or two since as well ! Woo-hoo!! I’ve been A LOT sleepier the first week post op, & going in 2 week.. so My suggestions are DO NOT TRY TO GO BACK TO WORK FOR A GOOD 3 weeks post op, at least. Otherwise the fatigue may pull you backwards so be cautious! I was totally compliant and have lost 21 pounds so far in just days not even a month.. & that’s from preop fluid diet to post op fluid diet. I have only done clear broths (after not losing I finally made my own no sodium broths & the wt. started melting off!) & using Premier Protein Shakes with a few jellos & a few puddings. This is the REAL DEAL GUYS!! No more blood pressure meds either!! Yaay!!!! :) hugs to all- Jennifer

Guys!!!!!! I’m doing AWESOME guys!!! Thank you!! I feel so great! And GUESS WHAT!! Ive list 21 pounds!! Yep! I started at my highest weight ever of 242. Then after the all Fluid diet I went into surgery at 227 lbs, (be sure to use low/no sodium broths!!!!!!!) then at post op week 1 visit I was 223lbs!!!! I’ve lost a pound or two since as well ! Woo-hoo!! I’ve been A LOT sleepier the first week post op, & going in 2 week.. so My suggestions are DO NOT TRY TO GO BACK TO WORK FOR A GOOD 3 weeks post op, at least. Otherwise the fatigue may pull you backwards so be cautious! I was totally compliant and have lost 21 pounds so far in just days not even a month.. & that’s from preop fluid diet to post op fluid diet. I have only done clear broths (after not losing I finally made my own no sodium broths & the wt. started melting off!) & using Premier Protein shakes with a few jellos & a few puddings. This is the REAL DEAL GUYS!! No more blood pressure meds either!! Yaay!!!! [emoji4] hugs to all- Jennifer

I’m so happy for ya... and great job! I just did my shopping for premier and broth. ( yes low sodium) I’m ready to go. Again wish you the best and luck and keep us posted!

“There will be obstacles. There will be doubters. There will be mistakes. But with hard work, there are no limits.” —Michael Phelps