Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having Second Thoughts about Bypass

I am scheduled for Tuesday October 17th or Bypass, tomorrow I have my last appointment with my surgeon... I am having second thoughts about Bypass.... I am now considering the sleeve..... my biggest fear is suffering dumping and not being able to tolerate meats

What is your biggest fear ??? I have never had an issue with over eating, my issues are being sedentary and that I love to try new foods and new tastes.... and I am afraid the bypass will take that from me....... I am 6 feet 1 inch and I weight 295 pounds

Any thoughts?

I’ve been debating this a lot myself. I went in set on sleeve and was told due my acid reflux that bypass was the best choice. My biggest concern has been the malabsorption. I don’t have kids and eventually I’ll want to get pregnant, I don’t want to face any issues with Vitamin deficiencies either for myself or a future pregnancy.

I think some of what you’re describing could happen with either. Changes in the ability to tolerate foods or dumping. Dumping from what I’ve researched is more likely to occur with bypass, but is still a possibility with sleeve. And the tolerance really just depend on the person. I wouldn’t let these things stand in the way of a healthier you. Why did you decide bypass in the first place?

My surgeon suggested the sleeve as first option , but when I learned that bypass is the best option to avoid diabetes, even I am not diabetic my thought was that it was a good insurances agains it as it runs in my family... I have Do have high blood pressure and that is the main reason why I am having WLS in the first place ... it just that I do not see myself not being able to enjoy some of my favorite foods with moderation ...and bypass will limit my options far more than the sleeve .... am I right ?

I had RNY and I have never had problems with dumping with eating sugar or fat. I'm actually sad about that. I also have no trouble eating meat. In the beginning meat is difficult because your new stomach is healing and it makes you feel very full after only a few bites. The trick is the meat has to be very moist and you need to take very small bites and chew very well. As I healed, eating meat became easier and I now can pretty much eat any meat - steak, pork, chicken, shrimp, etc.

I had RNY in January of this year and I had similar fears going in (I have severe GERD so sleeve was not an option). I have not had very few issues with food intolerance and no dumping. I have tolerated all meat that I've tried. In the first 1-3 months I would occasionally get a little nauseous from some meats but that passed after my stomach healed. I do have trouble with sometimes is dry chicken - but really, who wants to eat gross dry chicken??? And I don't vomit or anything, I just get a bit of a 'stuck' feeling and have to stop eating. The only times I have truly gotten sick (i.e. vomiting or pain) was because I ate more than I should have and didn't pay attention when my stomach said it was full. I have noticed that now I can just take a bite of something to get the flavors and then move on (especially with sugar/desserts). I think the 'fear' in the back of my head of getting sick helped me pick up that habit and it's something I still do now even though I know I won't actually get sick.

I had RNY gastric bypass surgery over 4 years ago. I did experience dumping syndrome. It was terrible. But it is also a valuable tool. Generally you will experience pre-triggers before you reach full stage dumping syndrome. Just recognize your pre-triggers and don't take another bite.

The pre-triggers can be hiccups, sneezing, excessive mucous, an instantaneous change in the way food taste, and others. Individuals are different and their pre-triggers vary.

Dumping experience can last for several hours. In general maintain a vertical position instead of a horizontal. If you lay down on a bed or couch, it will only aggravate the experience. As a result it is important not to eat a meal close to bedtime. Generally when I experience dumping, I go to the toilet and force myself to vomit up some of the food I ate. That helps to relieve the condition.

I eat all types of meat. But after a couple months when I passed out of the pureed food stage and into the solid stage, meat was difficult to consume. I found that consuming meats in chili and Soups went down much easier than eating steak and chicken. You tolerance will grow the further you are out from surgery.

19 hours ago, boliramirez said:

I am scheduled for Tuesday October 17th or Bypass, tomorrow I have my last appointment with my surgeon... I am having second thoughts about Bypass.... I am now considering the sleeve..... my biggest fear is suffering dumping and not being able to tolerate meats

What is your biggest fear ??? I have never had an issue with over eating, my issues are being sedentary and that I love to try new foods and new tastes.... and I am afraid the bypass will take that from me....... I am 6 feet 1 inch and I weight 295 pounds

Any thoughts?

I was pre diabetic before having the sleeve last year. My glucose is now normal. I have more energy and eat small meals. I am never hungry but when I am full I sneeze.

Edited by Saturncmc

Is a family history of diabetes your sole reason for having a bypass over a sleeve?

That wouldn't be enough for me to get a bypass over a sleeve. I'm getting a bypass because I have severe severe GERD and wouldn't tolerate a sleeve.

If you're an ideal candidate for a sleeve, I would certainly prefer one over a bypass if it was me.

I just had the surgery yesterday.... and now that it has happened I realized my fear was not being able to do what got me here in the first place..... eating whatever I want.....

Everything went excellent and now a new stage in my life begins.....

Trust me, you will be able to eat everything, just small amounts. I am 85 pounds lighter and can do more than I ever thought. Good luck!

Any thoughts?

My thoughts are get a mini bypass. I had the sleeve three years ago and it is very easy to stretch it out over time. I lost 60 lbs have gained back 30. I'm 5 foot tall I weigh 197 right now. I am having surgery in March and I'm going for the mini bypass and the reason I'm choosing the mini is because it is reversible where if you get the full gastric bypass it is not reversible. I want to do the mini because if I ever have problems with my nutrition after I've lost the weight I want to lose I could get it reversed. Because of working in a hospital I see so many people who had a full bypass that are struggling with their health because they just don't get the nutrients they need. So just for your information this is always an option. Best of luck on whatever you choose. But don't let me scare you about the full one. Because it's all about what you put in your mouth. When you've had a bypass from what I understand you should only put nutritious Foods in your mouth because you can't eat very much food so everything you take by mouth needs to be nutritious if you're eating bad foods like chips and filling up your stomach with bad food you're not going to get the nutrients and I do think this is where a lot of my patients health problems stem from is their choices of what they're putting in their mouth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BariatricPal mobile app

Mini gastric bypass, reversal, and likely any complications of it arent covered by many if not all insurances.

I wouldnt even be sniffing around something like that unless im really wealthy, or dead set on paying cash for a procedure.

I just had the surgery yesterday.... and now that it has happened I realized my fear was not being able to do what got me here in the first place..... eating whatever I want.....
Everything went excellent and now a new stage in my life begins.....
[/quote
Congratulations!! How exciting! I’m scheduled for my bypass December 5th, and I’ve been questioning my choice as well. I fear that I will still “feel” like I’m hungry and over eat. I like the fact that the sleeve removes that hormone. But I have GERD so I don’t want to do the sleeve for the fear of it becoming worse. I’m trying to keep my self busy so I don’t eat bc I’m bored or lonely but also trying to get my head on straight for this life long change I’m about to take on... I know I use food for a coping mechanism I have to find another way. I’ve dealt with addiction from drugs (please no nasty comments), and now I’ve switched over to food so now that I’m going to be taking that away I’m scared. I’m trying to focus on this is going to make me more healthy and confident to do the healthy activities I want to do but am held back by because of my weight... I’m sorry I just unleashed but it felt good saying this.

im 4 ys out from r.n.y. i eat anything i want. Moderation is the key.