Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am four days post op and it feels like my dry mouth is getting so much worse. When I sleep, I wake up and my mouth feels like a desert. I have been sipping fluids constantly, mostly Water. Does anyone know any quick remedies to help with this because it is so uncomfortable?

Sleeved 10/10/17 • HW 280 (3/1/17) • SW 259 (10/10) • GW 180 (TBD)

I bought sugar free ice breaker mints and those seemed to help, it only lasted about a,week with me

Sent from my SM-J700T using BariatricPal mobile app

Any issues with your breathing/nose/cpap ?

Any issues with your breathing/nose/cpap ?

I was a little congested after surgery and I guess I was sleeping with my mouth open and that's what was causing a lot of it. But I was getting it randomly during the day time if I wasn't constantly chewing on ice or sipping something.

I found a remedy that actually works for anyone else struggling with this post op.. Biotine Mouthwash... it makes your tongue numb at first but it has drastically improved my dry mouth issues :)

amb052492.......thank you so much for asking this question, I have been dealing with the same thing! And we share the same surgery date (10-10-17).

amb052492.......thank you so much for asking this question, I have been dealing with the same thing! And we share the same surgery date (10-10-17).

That's great!! How are you feeling? Did everything go smoothly for you?

I have had horrible dry mouth ever since my surgery 9/18, and even though I drink enough fluids, it seems to be pretty persistent. I have been chewing sugar free gum in a variety of flavors and that is the easiest way to keep it at bay for me.

This is probably due to ketosis. You're not taking in carbs, and so you're in Keto mode -- I had HORRIBLE dry mouth during keto, and also the weirdest smell (my body, my spit, my mouth...everything smelled weirdly sweet). Once my calorie intake went up a bit, it chilled out again.

amb052492.....Everything went great with the surgery. They also found a umbilical hernia he repaired. Things have been going ok. I don't know why, but for some reason I'm in a funk. Having to learn how to eat and drink slowly, at different times, and just all the newness of a smaller stomach is a little overwhelming. Some days I don't get even close to the Protein and Fluid that I need. Other days I feel like I'm so hungry that all I do is eat and drink every hour. I know this is a marathon and I know my dr. and team have given me the best success plan but I just don't feel like me yet. I'm still sore (especially near my belly button) and I am still having such a hard time sleeping comfortably. I saw my dr. on Friday and they moved me up to a soft foods diet but I still have no idea what to eat. I'm getting heartburn if I drink too fast/much so I'm not sure what I can tolerate yet. any tips? how are you feeling? it's really great to hear from someone who had surgery the SAME day as I did! hope you are doing great!!

amb052492.....Everything went great with the surgery. They also found a umbilical hernia he repaired. Things have been going ok. I don't know why, but for some reason I'm in a funk. Having to learn how to eat and drink slowly, at different times, and just all the newness of a smaller stomach is a little overwhelming. Some days I don't get even close to the Protein and Fluid that I need. Other days I feel like I'm so hungry that all I do is eat and drink every hour. I know this is a marathon and I know my dr. and team have given me the best success plan but I just don't feel like me yet. I'm still sore (especially near my belly button) and I am still having such a hard time sleeping comfortably. I saw my dr. on Friday and they moved me up to a soft foods diet but I still have no idea what to eat. I'm getting heartburn if I drink too fast/much so I'm not sure what I can tolerate yet. any tips? how are you feeling? it's really great to hear from someone who had surgery the SAME day as I did! hope you are doing great!!

I am in the same boat as you unfortunately :( everything that is liquid gags me and won't go down. At first I had no problem drinking Water and now it seems difficult to get that down. I get scared because I have trouble getting anywhere near my protein or fluids however I'm told that that is probably the reason I am feeling bad. Today I am aiming to sip water all day and try to get down some of the okios Greek protein yogurt. I guess we just have to keep trying different foods until we find a winner but I really hoped it wouldn't be this difficult for me :((( I see so many people who say they feel awesome after and I feel so much worse.

Sleeved 10/10/17 • HW 280 (3/1/17) • SW 259 (10/10) • CW 242 (10/21) • GW 180 (TBD)

I am thankful for you, that I have someone to share with who understands. I have been weirdly depressed these 2 weeks...I don't know why that is. I thought I would be super motivated and excited to shed the weight. between my surgery day and my week appointment post op I lost 14 lbs and this week I've only lost 3. It's really frustrating because I feel like I'm not eating anything. Water, 1 Jello cup, 1/2 a cup of chicken Soup and a cup or two of milk/protein shake per day....that has to be only 500 calories or less....so its really strange that I lost so much at first week and now I hover around the same number give or take a few lbs. I'm not sleeping very well....I hate sleeping on my back. one time I forgot to drink slowly and gulped down probably a whole ounce of milk and it came right back up. Also I am still having pain. I keep telling myself that I'm only 2 weeks and 2 days out from major surgery but my mind plays tricks on my telling me that this isn't working. I'm hoping that in a couple weeks I'll feel more like myself and motivated to walk and exercise. Are you on a soft food diet too? what does your meal plan for the day look like? What foods do you tolerate well and what have you tried that didn't work? thanks for keeping up with me!! Dayna

I am four days post op and it feels like my dry mouth is getting so much worse. When I sleep, I wake up and my mouth feels like a desert. I have been sipping fluids constantly, mostly Water. Does anyone know any quick remedies to help with this because it is so uncomfortable?

yes there is a product called biotene and it helps keep your mouth moist

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using BariatricPal mobile app