Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why is alcohol banned post op -forever???

I understand that for 6 months following surgery that alcohol is banned. But why not after that? As long as its not often?? Confused in Dallas

I was told the first 6 months is none at all than after that not to consume sugary drinks as it will make u sick so no frozen margaritas , Long Island ice teas etc

Thank you for your reply. I was wondering more from a medical standpoint? Is it simply a caloric matter? [emoji848]

People can and do drink postop.

The first year of rapid weight loss is hard on the liver. You don't want to stress the liver more with frequent consumption.

After that then it's about calories, carbonation and sugar, and potential for transfer of addictions.

We also tend to get inebriated super quickly, so precautions must be in place.

I'm 6 months out and had my first glass of wine. Sipped it over 30 minutes with food. I could walk only halfway effectively, and absolutely couldn't have driven. Most people could handle a glass of wine with a meal and think nothing of driving home (and their blood acohol level would probably be within legal limits).. those times are probably history for bariatric folk.

I think there is some merit to alcohol affecting you differently after surgery. I know it did me. Rightfully there is much concern for addiction transfer but also alcohol is pretty harsh on a tender tummy. That first 6 months could be particularly sensitive.

Considering that, I am a wine maker. I make berry wine from wild Alaska berries and I could not imagine missing out on that. I made a dryer (less sugar) wine with a lower alcohol content and it is so yummy. I spoke with my surgeon about my winemaking hobby and he did not seem at all concerned. There is no doubt that I can't hold my alcohol like I used to. I feel the buzz very quickly.

Oh and I'm nearly 8 months out.

No brainer.

Although I was not an alcoholic, my job and social life meant a fair chance of social drinking. Then there were the long Australian east-coast summers of 5.5 to 7.5 months.

So, I could end up with 3000-4500 extra calories per week ... like adding an eighth or ninth day per week to my calorie consumption.

I probably won't be a teetotaller but I can see my drinking being cut to four to six drinks per fortnight average, probably less ... and I'll keep those for important events or occasions.

I don't see me giving it up forever, but I am not much of a drinker overall. I intend to stick to no drinking for 6-9 months after surgery. It does use up calories ineffectively and alcohol is dehydrating and is likely a factor in the early stages when it is difficult to consume enough liquids as it is.

15 minutes ago, Sosewsue61 said:

It does use up calories ineffectively

This is it.

Alcohol is mathematically poor. Calorie rich nothingness in the long run.

Addiction transfer to alcohol is scary stuff. I rarely drank pre op (maybe once every few months). When I started drinking post op everything was fine for months, until I noticed that I was drinking a lot more often, then I started having trouble stopping once I start. Then I noticed I was looking forward to drinking the same way I used to look forward to food. Now I promise myself I won't drink, but can't resist the urge and have the old pattern of guilt and regret I used to have with fast food.

This all happened pretty quickly. Now I'm going to counseling and considering AA, even though I'm not a "real" alcoholic yet.

I was of course warned about this pre op, but didn't think it would happen to me since I've never had a problem with alcohol or drugs, and I guess I didn't consider myself a good addict either, but I can see now that I was. Alcohol is much much worse of an addiction, I certainly wish I hadn't started drinking post op.

2 minutes ago, bostonmama said:

Now I'm going to counseling and considering AA

Sensible course, IMHO!

Everyone experiences things differently and different tactics work while others don't.

For me, I hated the idea that anything was restricted or banned. If I told myself I'm not allowed to have something, it naturally made me want it more.

So, I allow everything, but find that my stomach makes the good choices for me. It was amazing how many things I loved pre op doesn't sound or taste appealing being post op.

For example, I loved potato stuff (fries, mashed,baked, etc). But now, I just don't find it as tasty or satisfying. I will still have a taste or two, but then I'm on to the protein...which is tasty and satisfying.

Same thing with the no drinking before and after meals. I struggled with this so much pre op but being post op....I do it without trying much now (at least for me). When you're full, drinking anything beyond a small sip just isn't appealing until several minutes afterwards.

I honestly think it's a mind game you have to play with yourself. If you fixate on the rules and restrictions then it can seem more difficult and challenging...but if u go into this with a more experimental mindset....you might find that many of the good choices may naturally happen. Some things will still take some effort, but I think the key is minimizing how hard you are on yourself.

I'm two months post op and I had a glass of wine recently. For me, I didn't find it especially appealing. It tasted different and I felt the effects quicker, but I can say this won't be a thing I desire to do much now.

Sorry, I guess I got way off topic....but that was my experience. Everyone does things differently and it's best to do what's best for you and your health.

Good luck on your journey!!!