Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 18 days ago

This is my first visit and very excited to find this web site. I am going for my two week follow up tomorrow and excited to have made it this far. I'm not sure what problems my physician ran into during the surgery but all 7 of my incisions are on the left side of my stomach. I have read several posts of about the grumbling stomach, I'm not so worried about mine now. My surgery was done on 10-5-07 by Dr. Wayne Westmoreland I spent one night in the hospital because of low oxygen levels after surgrey, but feel fine now. I look forword to learning from everyone here.

Hello,

I was banded 10/1/07 (15 days ago) and I didn't realize that

"grumbling stomach" was a "side effect". My stomach grumbles at least once a day. It's comforting to know it's not just me!

Do you feel as if your stomach can hold more food now? I'm a little nervous about band slippage and I want to know if my being able to eat a little more is normal. I haven't had any bad reaction to ANY food. I am eating solids now and everything seems fine. Is this the same for you?

Sincerly

thenume

I'm in the same boat as both of you. Banded 2 weeks ago. I haven't had the grumbling stomach but have had grumbling bowels! Hope that stops soon. I've been on solids for the last few days and feel I can eat most things now without restriction. Although I put that to the test last night and paid for it today. Even tough you feel you can eat more don't! It's awful after a certain point.

Looking forward to your journeys.

Hello everyone, thanks for responding. I look forward to having someone to talk with.

Does anyone else have left shoulder pain, I went for my 2 week followup today and ask the Dr. and he said it was nothing to worry about it would go away.

I do find myself being able to eat a little more liquid Soup now then I have been in the past but not a whole lot, for some reason before I get the full feeling I get the hiccups so I know its time to stop. I can't start Soft food for a couple more days per the Dr. I am nervous about it :rolleyes: . I'm terrified about doing something that will cause my band to slip, or maybe dilating my pouch.

Hi Brenda,

i had the sore left shoulder too. The first 10 days it was daily. I haven't had it for the last few days. I just used a hot pack on my shoulder. The book my dr gave me listed it as one of the common symptoms, Apparently you get sore if you overeat as well.

I was banded on 10/1 and also feel that I have very little restriction- I have to wait another 3 weeks until my first fill, but I am worried that it won't work- I guess I thought I would have more restriction after just having the surgery, but after the first week, my hunger returned-

Is it the same after a fill, or is that what the band is really all about???

Hi ElleMae

I noticed my shoulder pain wasn't as bad today as it has been, but unfortunately with the dispearance of my shoulder pain has come hungar and like a blink I don't seem to have the restriction anymore. Is this normal? I have been very careful about making sure everything is off the diet list of soft/pureed food, but I don't feel the fullness I have been having. I just noticed your from Australia, cool.

Hi Ilenev

yesterday I would have said that I still had restriction, but today it seems like theres no restriction @ all. Your getting a fill in 3 weeks, I wish it was me. My Dr. says he doesn't do fills for a min of 6-8 weeks, mine is scheduled for Nov 28th. and he would not guarantee me a fill then. I was really hoping to get one before Thanksgiving. Hang in there. everyone tells me its mind of matter, I still working on that (ha ha)

Hi Brenda-

Thanks for your help- my Doctor does a fill at 6 weeks- if you need it, but I can't imagine not needing it since I don't feel like I have any restriction- I am trying to be careful, but I think that I could eat whatever I wanted if I would let myself- I hope that I am not putting too much emphasis on the fill-

i was also banded around same time (october 2) felt restiction for the first week becasue of the stomach swelling to what i understand i am on full solid and i do get full quicker then i did before (i think) aslo been worried here about streching my pouch but from what i understand it is hard to strech the pouch before you get your first fill. if i am wrong i hope someone corrects me that has been banded for awhile, good luck all,,,

I definitely can"t eat as much as I did pre-band, but I would like to feel some more restriction- I have just been very careful up to now- I have been eating good choices, keeping away from bread and Pasta

That's what I am afraid of- the Drs. don't help you deal with this "in between" stage- I also lost 18 lbs. since the pre-op diet and the 2 weeks post op, but I have another 3 weeks before my first fill-any suggestions????

The sad part is I am only able to get down macaroni, Soup, some chicken and all the phase 1 & 2 foods. Soup at this point just sucks...LOL and if I mash another potato... well I will just scream!! I am going to make sure I get to the gym 3x a week and just watch my portions. I too cant get the Protein in... I hate the shakes. I have lost my craving for fluids and I think passed bowels only like 4 times since my surgery 3 weeks ago. Anyone else having this problem? I know its gross... but this is what we are all here for right???

Thanks everyone ;)